In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

eBay's liberal anti-gun decision

RockatanskyRockatansky Member Posts: 11,175
edited July 2007 in General Discussion
Just in case you missed it first three times, here it is again:

quote:
In mid-August, we will be updating our Firearms, Weapons and Knives Policy to place more restrictions around gun-related items. Once these changes take effect, we will prohibit listings of any firearm part that is required for the firing of a gun. This includes items like bullet tips, brass casings and shells, barrels, slides, cylinders, magazines, firing pins, trigger assemblies, etc. Please read the Firearms, Weapons and Knives Policy for more details on our current policy.
As you may know, eBay does not allow the listing of any items which are regulated by individual states or the federal government; however, there are still a large number of firearm-related parts that are legal and are widely available in retail stores. These items have also historically been allowed on eBay.

After learning that some items purchased on eBay may have been used in the tragedy at Virginia Tech in April 2007, we felt that revisiting our policies was not only necessary, but the right thing to do. After much consideration, the Trust & Safety policy team - along with our executive leaders at eBay Inc. - have made the decision to further restrict more of these items than federal and state regulations require.

This new update continues to encourage safety among our community members and brings our policies in the U.S. and Canada in closer alignment with our existing policies in other markets around the globe.

Sincerely,
Matt Halprin
Vice President, Trust & Safety

Mods, why don't you make it a sticky?

Comments

• FatstratFatstrat Member Posts: 9,147
    edited November -1
    So what Ebay item was used in Va Tech Shooting? Ebay doesn't sell guns. Never has.
    I think it's messed up. I hate to say it here, but ebay was one of my BEST parts sources. You'd think a gun auction website would be. But that hasn't proven to be the case in my experience. Ebay was even better than Numrich Arms. Maybe it'll change now.
  • RockatanskyRockatansky Member Posts: 11,175
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by us55840
    I had "HEARD" the shooter had purchased some magazines for his guns on fleabay.

Musta scared them into thinking they could be "an accessory to a crime" by some ultra liberal flea bag lawyer. [?]

Just heard this same argument. I think it's pretty darn stupid. Have there been any cases of a shooting victim suing a gun dealer? Any successful cases?
  • iluvgunsiluvguns Member Posts: 5,351
    edited November -1
    Doesn't matter if there have been any successful cases or not. If you get sued, it's going to cost you big bucks to get out of it. Most corporations will settle up, right or wrong, just to get out from under the suit. I still say, I don't know if E-bay is anti-gun or not. But I do know they are anti-getting sued! And yes, the shooter at VT bought some mags from e-bay. Just wait. They WILL be sued over it!
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by iluvguns
    Doesn't matter if there have been any successful cases or not. If you get sued, it's going to cost you big bucks to get out of it. Most corporations will settle up, right or wrong, just to get out from under the suit. I still say, I don't know if E-bay is anti-gun or not. But I do know they are anti-getting sued! And yes, the shooter at VT bought some mags from e-bay. Just wait. They WILL be sued over it!

eBay seems to be anti-gun, after all it's based in CA, founded by a frenchman, and no, they won't get sued. Besides, as far as I understand, to start such a legislation, you have to be sure you have a case, otherwise if you lose, you end up owing quiet a bit of money, so you have to be absolutely insane to try to sue someone based on the fact that they legally sold a legal product.
  • MosinNagantDiscipleMosinNagantDisciple Member Posts: 2,612
    edited November -1
    Why do we need to know this? Or, a better question is, why do we need to know this for a fourth time?

Post this over on the ebay forums... it means nothing to GB.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MosinNagantDisciple
    Why do we need to know this? Or, a better question is, why do we need to know this for a fourth time?

Post this over on the ebay forums... it means nothing to GB.

Just in case you missed it first three times, here it is again:

sarcasm:

n. - sarcasm, irony, satire, caustic remark -- (witty language used to convey insults or scorn; "he used sarcasm to upset his opponent"; "irony is wasted on the stupid"; "Satire is a sort of glass, wherein beholders do generally discover everybody's face but their own"--Johathan Swift)
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is their business. If you don't like their policies, you can take your business elsewhere.

This horse is officially dead.
  • COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...It's all because flea-barf is a den of liberal anti-gun nazi's. I just found this out from a seller I buy a LOT of 1911 parts from...but that wont change as I buy from him and several others "on the side" at very disscounted prices, some great people, screw flea barf. Ive made some good friends their among several gun part sellers and one of the benefits are the down and dirty prices they give me on name brand parts.

...I couldn't stand it, and fired off a foul letter to them, nothing threathening but to the point, as if it will matter. This ignorant act on their part will be great for GB, should move a ton of sellers and their items to GB.

Should make the parts "market" here a LOT bigger as the sellers move here, as it kinda sucks now...Flea barf has a lot of BIG parts sellers with quality parts from all makers. For those that don't know, there are a lot of great part buys there, and soon, they should be here. Brown, Wilson, Fusion, EGW, McCormick, Colt and lots of others...[^]

ani-texas-flag-1.gif
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry to hear it. Ebay was a good source of odd ball parts for me.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Since them E-Bay p*****s (like a cat) bans all the gun related stuff as EVIL, GB will get lot more business. It might be even woth for GB to generate lots of E-Bay user names and post Advertisement on E-bay[:D] It will take couple of day to them to remove them!
  • SuburbanNoizeSuburbanNoize Member Posts: 10,142
    edited November -1
    they want to align our laws with those of canada? WTH does that statement mean?
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by SuburbanNoize
    they want to align our laws with those of canada? WTH does that statement mean?

There's a lot of stupidity in the whole letter. I now completely lost all respect for their analytical abilities, they couldn't even word it right. *sigh*