In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Who re-did the Gordon Lightfoot song...Sundown?

Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,615 ✭✭✭✭
edited January 2008 in General Discussion
I tried to find it on Limewire....but I can't figure out who it was. I'm guessing it was about 5 yrs ago. The Gordon Lightfoot song Sundown (creepin round my back stairs....) Its been driving me nuts!!!!
LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com

Comments

• WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,813 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Type "sundown" into the itunes store website, you get about a 1/2 dozen options. Including many cuts of the original.
  • LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Jesse Winchester was one and I think also Kevin Berlin.
  • buschmasterbuschmaster Member Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    what's wrong with the original?!
  • Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,615 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I tunes isn't working right for me at this time...so I can't search over there...but what I'm trying to find sounds something like Pappa Roach or another band I wouldn't normally listen to. My daughter doesn't like it when I "take to" a song by what is supposed to be HER bands!!!
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
    edited November -1
    ELWOOD!!! I don't know who the heck that is.....but its a fun re-do of the Sundown song. I really like the old version better...but it was driving me crazy and I couldn't stop thinking about it until I figured that out!
  • sharpshooter039sharpshooter039 Member Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    you found it before I could get back.I ask my 16yr old and he told me Elwood also.he said he covered 3 of lightfoots songs,I went to project playlist to check them out but none of them were there.my son said it was because they were so bad no one ever loaded them up
    edited November -1
    I had heard it a long time ago....and not again in forever. I heard the original song the other day and for SOME reason it reminded me of it.....but I never could think to ask about it. I have a little time to spare right now so I thought I would play around on Lime Wire. My kids have ruined at least 50 lbs of plastic making horrific CDs....so I thought I would make one of my own. I'm not interrested in the Elwood song enough to put it on my CD.....but I am happy to finally be able to let that thought go.

I will make you guys a list of what I put on my strange CD when I figure it out. I can guarantee that my oldest will try to keep it for herself (as is customary.) But what I don't understand about this is why does she always take my CDs if she hates my music so much???? hmmmmmmmm
  • tccoxtccox Member Posts: 7,379 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    And his version of Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald. There ain't no way anyone else could ever sing it better. At lest in my opinion! Tom
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tccox
    And his version of Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald. There ain't no way anyone else could ever sing it better. At lest in my opinion! Tom

does anyone know, where the love of God goes, when the waves turn the minutes to hours......

Love that song.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Canadian Railway Trilogy. There is alway some Gord in the bag when I leave for a road trip.

There was a time in this fair land when the railroad did not run
    When the wild majestic mountains stood alone against the sun
    Long before the white man and long before the wheel
    When the green dark forest was too silent to be real
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Lake Huron rolls, Superior sings
    In the ruins of her ice water mansion"

These lines nearly got me killed!
    My buddy and I were canoeing in the Canadian wilderness. We were on a lake that we knew to be at least 200 feet deep. Crystal clear water. There was not another person within 15 miles of us.
    We came to a place where there was a smooth rock cliff that rose straight up from the water and went about 100 feet high. We were 5 feet from this cliff, in the canoe. You could look down and see this cliff going at least 50 feet down underwater, you had the feeling that it went straight down for 200 feet.
    It was an eerie feeling being in that spot in that fragile little boat, it even gave me a feeling of acrophobia.
    But it just freaked my buddy out. He said it reminded him of the "icewater mansions" in the Gordon Lightfoot song.
    We both knew "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" by heart.
    Everybody in that ship died, plus, we were only about 50 miles away from Lake Superior. Somehow, it all began piling up on my pal.
    He started having a panic attack. This was extraordinary because I knew him well and he had never had a panic attack before.
    He grabbed the sides of the canoe and started shaking the boat. It is very easy to tip a canoe.
    Fortunately, I was in the back. I told my buddy to put his paddle in the boat and just lay down on the bottom of the canoe. I told him that it was ok and I would handle it. He did what I said, and I paddled us past the sheer granite face. It was about 300 feet and we got to the regular shoreline. After that my buddy was ok.
    That water was about 40 degrees, had our canoe tipped there, that would have been a damn tough swim to the safety of the shore, could have been all over.