In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Any MENSA members here?

steeltoe1978steeltoe1978 Member Posts: 3,248
edited January 2008 in General Discussion
Just wondering...

(I'm one.)

Comments

• Sav99Sav99 Member Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I scored 3 points shy on the test. [B)] Apparently they take those tests results pretty seriously. But in my own defense I had to wizz really bad while I was taking it.
  • HappyNanoqHappyNanoq Member Posts: 12,023
    edited November -1
    I'm smart enough to NOT tell that to anyone here....
  • steeltoe1978steeltoe1978 Member Posts: 3,248
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sav99
    I scored 3 points shy on the test. [B)] Apparently they take those tests results pretty seriously. But in my own defense I had to wizz really bad while I was taking it.

Well, I'd still vote for you over hillary and/or obama. [:D]
  • steeltoe1978steeltoe1978 Member Posts: 3,248
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by HappyNanoq

Damn it. If I recall, you don't live in the USA. You are the Mag-Lite flashlight suppressor man! Yes, you ARE smart for living where you can have fun toys! I just might be your neighbor after this election! [:D]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by steeltoe1978

Well, I'd still vote for you over hillary and/or obama. [:D]

Sav99 in '08 [:D]
  • Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,617 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My father was...but he wasn't involved with it much. He said he "went a few times, but didn't like the people there." I don't know that he likes anyone all that much......the people of the local MENSA association, family, neighbors, four-legged animals, Elvis impressionists....he just isn't "into" liking things that breathe.
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • LaidbackDanLaidbackDan Member Posts: 13,143 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Alas, I was disqualified due to insufficient idiosyncracies.

I also answered question number three on the entrance exam with "Antidisestablishmentarianism" and the correct response was supposed to be "Orange".
  • MrOrangeMrOrange Member Posts: 3,012
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by LaidbackDan

I also answered question number three on the entrance exam with "Antidisestablishmentarianism" and the correct response was supposed to be "Orange".

Somebody calling me?

Reminded me of one of my favorite Peanuts cartoons:

"I know! I know! The answer lies in the heart of all mankind.
    The answer is twelve? I think I'm in the wrong room."

I thought they just gave you a standard IQ test with a minimum score required?

Anybody know what the minimum is?

Anyone? Anyone? steeltoe1978?
  • Night StalkerNight Stalker Member Posts: 11,967
    edited November -1
    Just wondering...

(I'm one.)

well, at least you all are a modest bunch. [8D]
  • zipperzapzipperzap Member Posts: 25,057
    edited November -1
    I scored low on the DENSA test ... but did OK, anyway.
    [:D]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MrOrange
    quote:Originally posted by LaidbackDan

Somebody calling me?

Reminded me of one of my favorite Peanuts cartoons:

"I know! I know! The answer lies in the heart of all mankind.
    The answer is twelve? I think I'm in the wrong room."

I thought they just gave you a standard IQ test with a minimum score required?

Anybody know what the minimum is?

Anyone? Anyone? steeltoe1978?

132 as I recall.
  • SteyrAUGSteyrAUG Member Posts: 23 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    edited November -1
    132 as I recall.

Missed it by that much.

maxwell.jpg
  • EVILDR235EVILDR235 Member Posts: 4,398 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is that the club women belong to and get together once a month ?
    XXXXXX
  • fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by EVILDR235
    Is that the club women belong to and get together once a month ?
    XXXXXX

No, that's "MENSTRA"...lol
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,309 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    There's some here that act like they're too smart for that group.
  • Plain ole bubbaPlain ole bubba Member Posts: 472 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i dont know about your group but hukked on foniks werks fer me!
  • HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    A long time ago, I think the minimum was 140.
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    once many years ago i was told score on an IQ test but now am smart enough to know that i have done little except stand in awe of those like Hawking whose mind can leap out into darkness & shine the light of creativity & understanding where i am unable to even open the door for a glimpse.........
  • givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    Steeltoe: Mensa, is it? I'm sure you sit back and stare at the screen in utter amazement while reading the "my religion is best-yours is false-no other way to salvation" posts. Joe
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We had a tenant who was an attorney. She boasted that she was a member of Mensa.
    The house had gas logs in the fireplace. We told her not to light the logs unless the damper was open. We showed her how to open the damper, it was a chain that you pulled down, and it would catch in a little clip on the front right side of the fireplace. We told her that to burn the fireplace with the damper closed would risk death by carbon monoxide poisoning.
    This attorney was going to move out and my girlfriend went over to inspect the house. The living and dining rooms were covered with a layer of soot!
    The genius told my girlfriend that she didn't want to lose money in heat going up the fireplace, so she had been burning the fireplace with the damper closed!
    I had to repaint the entire living room and dining room. What a miracle that we didn't wind up with a corpse in that house, and guess who her lawyer buddies would have sued?
    Before the next tenant moved in, I climbed up on the roof, and blocked the damper open with a brick. It was a cast aluminum chimneytop damper. This meant that every day of the winter, the new tenant would have heat funnelling right out the open chimney and into the sky. But, at least, they couldn't kill themselves and soot up our house.

Our Mensa tenant was so smart she was stupid.

But I am not saying they all are, steeltoe I am sure you have plenty of common sense.
  • 1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    they do not use traditional IQ test scores at all, they use percentage of the test

quote:The society welcomes people from every walk of life whose IQ is in the top 2% of the population,

quote:The term "IQ score" is widely used but poorly defined. There are a large number of tests with different scales. The result on one test of 132 can be the same as a score 148 on another test. Some intelligence tests don't use IQ scores at all. Mensa has set a percentile as cutoff to avoid this confusion. Candidates for membership in Mensa must achieve a score at or above the 98th percentile on a standard test of intelligence (a score that is greater than or equal to that achieved by 98 percent of the general population taking the test).
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Pay money to an organization just so they can say how bright they are. HMMMMMMMMM!![:D]
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I attended a couple of Mensa parties some years ago. Talk about a bunch of social incompetents. Some of those folks were flat strange, I mean make Dano II look normal strange. I declined the test.
  • JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't recall ever taking an IQ test, but if I did, nobody ever told me what the score was. I do remember when I was in school we were all above average intelligence but none of us performed to our potential. There's an awful lot of stuff in my permanent record.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by He Dog
    I attended a couple of Mensa parties some years ago. Talk about a bunch of social incompetents. Some of those folks were flat strange, I mean make Dano II look normal strange. I declined the test.

I've noticed the same condition. Its puzzling how that works. Great intellect in lieu of social aptitude.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Two of my majors were Sociology and Psychology so you know I am not the most average guy at any party, but some of those folks were in the ozone. Perhaps the orginal geeks. Naturally I mean that in the nicest possible way.
  • HappyNanoqHappyNanoq Member Posts: 12,023
    edited November -1

Damn it. If I recall, you don't live in the USA. You are the Mag-Lite flashlight suppressor man! Yes, you ARE smart for living where you can have fun toys! I just might be your neighbor after this election! [:D]

Yup : http://www.happynanoq.dk/maglitesilencer/
  • JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Two of my majors were Sociology and Psychology so you know I am not the most average guy at any party, but some of those folks were in the ozone. Perhaps the orginal geeks. Naturally I mean that in the nicest possible way.

You ever notice when somebody says something which can't be taken in a nice way, they say "I didn't mean that in a bad way."?

I had an Executive Officer who looked me in the eye and said "Jim, you're the hardest headed son-of-a-* I've ever met ? ? ? ? I didn't mean that in a bad way." I took it as a complement, but then I'm not a member of MENSA. [:D]
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
    edited November -1

Hey, my majors are Counseling/Psychology and Sociology. Whatd'ya know about that. [^]
  • RocklobsterRocklobster Member Posts: 7,060
    edited November -1
    I joined but they threw me out because I was smarter than they.
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Son #1 was for a short time but didn't care for the people and quit.
  • spryorspryor Member Posts: 9,155
    edited November -1
    I guess you can take the test here..

http://www.mensa-test.com/
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://www.funtrivia.com/en/subtopics/Famous-Poisoners-120566.html

American murderer George Trepal got the nickname "the Mensa murderer" for his membership in the high-IQ society. Exactly whom did he poison?

His neighbors. The ultimate meddling neighbor, Florida genius and Death Row resident George Trepal was convicted of the murder of his neighbor Peggy Carr. George had placed some Coke bottles laced with the poison thallium nitrite in the Carr residence; the entire family became ill, but unlucky Peggy died. The reason? The Carrs made too much noise. Much was made of the fact that the bespectacled man was a member of Mensa and dubbed him "the Mensa murderer". (I was a member of Mensa at the time also, and can attest that we did not find this amusing). Apparently he drew suspicion to himself when, as the organizer of a Mensa "murder weekend", he made some sort of statement that neighbors should be careful of what they eat around their household. This suspicious statement led police to the proverbial smoking gun, in the form of a vial containing traces of thallium in Trepal's garbage.

I saw a show on this case on tv. What this story fails to mention is that the cops had infiltrated an undercover policewoman into Mensa. She was good looking, and Trepal was hitting on her, and it was her clandestine recordings of Trepal's remarks at the Mensa "Murder Weekend" that led to his conviction.
  • cahascahas Member Posts: 4,064
    edited November -1
    Damn!I thought this was Mensa!!Must have mistaken GB for Great Brains!!
    edited November -1
    http://www.happynanoq.dk/maglitesilencer/

And there I thought you had invented sumthin to make Maglites quiet.

As for Mensa, I'm pretty sure I'm in the top 98% of the population, which means that I'm smarter than 96% of Mensa members.
  • needmygunsneedmyguns Member Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    who cares how dam smart you are...im dumb as a stick and proud of it[:D][:D]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by needmyguns
    who cares how dam smart you are...im dumb as a stick and proud of it[:D][:D]

Hey! I'm dumb as a stick. Think of something else to be as dumb as! [:(!]
    Maybe you could be dumb as mud or somethin.
  • Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    I never even wanted to take the test.

But anyone with as many ex-wives as me is skittish about rejection, anyway.
  • needmygunsneedmyguns Member Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    a box of rocks uh what