In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

ANOTHER GREAT MOTHER.......

n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
edited July 2007 in General Discussion
Port St. Lucie....

They were often handcuffed, tethered together with plastic ties and allowed to soil themselves, investigators say. They had scars on their wrists. Some had burns.

None appeared to have more than a 4th grade education, not even the adults in their 20's. All were starving.

Nine teenagers and young adults were held like prisoners in Judith Leekin's home in what appeared to be a decades long scheme to line her pockets with the government payments she reveived for adopting and raising them, police say.

The kids range in age from 15 to 27. One is blind and mumbles. One can barely walk or stand. One can't read. Authorities said they do not know if the disabilities are a result of the alleged abuse.

The case came to light on July 4, 200 miles away across the state in St. Petersburg when police received a call from a grocery store that a teenager was there wandering aimlessly. The 18 year old woman, who said she had been with Leekin for 13 years, said Leekin drove her there and abandoned her after telling her they were going to an amusement park.

Leekin was arrested and jailed on 11 charges, including aggravated elder and child abuse. She declined to be interviewed.

According to authorities, she was unemployed and lived off the monthly stipends provided by child welfare authorities in New York. SHe owned at least two homes and several cars. The adopted kids said they had never seen a dr. or dentist.

Comment:...The womans home in Port. St. Lucie was shown on tv, it is a big beautiful home, gorgeous home, one that most of us will NEVER and I mean NEVER be able to afford...

Comments

• LOKO383LOKO383 Member Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Time for a ride to the wooley swamp, two go out one comes back,..Loko[}:)][V]
  • spryorspryor Member Posts: 9,155
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by LOKO383
    Time for a ride to the wooley swamp, two go out one comes back,..Loko[}:)][V]
    Immediately!!
  • fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    I'm not at all suprised...I live about 30 Mi. south of Ft."Piss", and their is more of that crap going-on in Fl. than anywhere.I drive through Rivera Beach daily, and see all the SUV's with "spinners" and HUGE rims in the lousiest hood in WPB...

Jeff
  • Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,666 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What I don't get is.....aren't there supposed to be CHECKS on these kids??? People coming by every so often and laying eyes on them to be certain they are ok and not abused like this. I hope several social workers get audited and charges brought on them as well.
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • RockatanskyRockatansky Member Posts: 11,175
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Locust Fork
    What I don't get is.....aren't there supposed to be CHECKS on these kids??? People coming by every so often and laying eyes on them to be certain they are ok and not abused like this. I hope several social workers get audited and charges brought on them as well.

Social workers were too busy charging after parents who been spanking their kids or taking pictures of their own kids on a beach.
  • Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,666 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bet when the reports are gone through they show where several "visits" were signed as being done and by more than one person. I feel for these kids and I know it is a VERY hard job....but they shouldn't do it unless they do it right.
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    According to the paper, the kids were adopted adults...and once adoption takes place, the social workers visits stop....

Most were teens and adults, and I imagine on disability and that is probably where the money was coming from...It will all come out in the news...