In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Went to Cabela's today...

CaptplaidCaptplaid Member Posts: 20,296 ✭✭✭
edited August 2007 in General Discussion
...and it sucked!

No it wasn't that bad. I just like to whine a little.

Higher priced than Bass Pro Shop BPS, no sales, and BPS has a better freak show.

She wanted to go to Mackinac Island until I told her how many hours the drive will take. She didn't think she could take the drive yet. So we went to St. Louis instead.

Only thing I found was a 30 round magazine for an AK for $14.99. I don't understand why these stores are so afraid to sell AK/AR's Gander Mt. Sportman Warehouse, BPR and Caleb's all seem to be very slowly selling the guns and accessories. ARE THEY AFRAID?

Heck, Caleb's sell quit a few accessories for the Ruger Mini's but nothing for the AK's except for one magazine. I think they are all missing the market.

I did see one cool thing. They had a synthetic stock specially made to screw on a spotting scope. It had a pistol grip and the length was adjustable. Therefore, you could hold a spotting scope steady like a rifle. You could also attach a sling to it. I liked it but the price was three times tooo exspensive. They wanted $99! I would pay $35.

Comments

• ginmasterginmaster Member Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I went to the one in Kansas this last weekend and found the Rainier .45 HP bullets marked for $42.99 per 500. When I got to the register they rang up $50.99. They honored the price and I ended up grabbing another 500. [8D]
  • shipwreckshipwreck Member Posts: 128 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gander Mountain, Bass Pro Shop and Cabellas are all over prices.
  • CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sportsman's Warehouse is where it's at!

[:)]
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,616 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is one of those moments that I am sitting here telling myself......do I want to type this????? No, not really.....but the foot is missing my mouth these days so....here goes!

They don't sell AKs and SKSs because of the "people" who buy them. All of your ghetto crime and nut jobs that go on rampages have typically used these lower end military guns.....sooooooo it means to the people who run these "upper end" stores IF I don't sell those guns "THEY" won't come in here. You can say what you want to....but I can tell you for certain that the ATF thinks if you stock these guns you are just catering to these indiviuals and you will have that reputation within their ranks without ever doing one thing to deserve it.
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • KSUmarksmanKSUmarksman Member Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Locust Fork
    This is one of those moments that I am sitting here telling myself......do I want to type this????? No, not really.....but the foot is missing my mouth these days so....here goes!

They don't sell AKs and SKSs because of the "people" who buy them. All of your ghetto crime and nut jobs that go on rampages have typically used these lower end military guns.....sooooooo it means to the people who run these "upper end" stores IF I don't sell those guns "THEY" won't come in here. You can say what you want to....but I can tell you for certain that the ATF thinks if you stock these guns you are just catering to these indiviuals and you will have that reputation within their ranks without ever doing one thing to deserve it.

what about Glocks then?
    Every gang-banger puke absolutely MUST have a Glock, I mean, even poopty-cent "sang" about capping someone with a glock
  • Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,616 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    KSU....you cannot fight this one....just don't try. It is what it is and nobody can change it. Even if you were to design a Hello-Kitty AK with scratch and smell stickers it would be a no-no in the gun stores that want "no trouble."
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • dongizmodongizmo Member Posts: 14,477 ✭✭
    edited November -1

So what about the AR's?
    quote:Only thing I found was a 30 round magazine for an AK for $14.99. I don't understand why these stores are so afraid to sell AK/AR's
    I had 1 BATFE Inspector tell me he loved the mak-90 (I thought he was a little off), he even recommended a shop near by that stocked them.
    Don
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.
  • Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ginmaster
    I went to the one in Kansas this last weekend and found the Rainier .45 HP bullets marked for $42.99 per 500. When I got to the register they rang up $50.99. They honored the price and I ended up grabbing another 500. [8D]

All I can find in the Rainier is the 250 count box at our Cabelas.
    I'll have to start askin' for the bigger box...
  • Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Flying Clay Disk
    quote:Originally posted by Captplaid
    [br

Higher priced than Bass Pro Shop BPS, no sales, and BPS has a better freak show.

I liked it but the price was three times tooo exspensive. They wanted $99! I would pay $35.

Can you imagine how much it costs to send a 150 page color glossy catalog...to the entire civilized world???

edit: ....6 times a year???

[:D]

Does that include the mammoth, "Master Catalog"? That thing's a beast!
  • Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,191 ******
    edited November -1
    I went to the one in St. Louis last Sat. I was looking for some new binoc's. The guy at the counter was more than helpful getting out all the models for me to try them out. We thought the store pretty cool also. Alot better than the BPS there intown. We had a good experience there. The only thing that was a negative was the tax. I could have ordered from the catalog and paid less.
  • WholesaleToolWholesaleTool Member Posts: 127 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Flying Clay Disk
    [br

I liked it but the price was three times tooo exspensive. They wanted $99! I would pay $35.

Can you imagine how much it costs to send a 150 page color glossy catalog...to the entire civilized world???

edit: ....6 times a year???

[:D]

Yes.[:0][B)][:D]
    WT
  • dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    quote:Gander Mountain, Bass Pro Shop and Cabellas are all over prices.

Somebody has to pay for all the fancy displays, large advertising budget and management free bee hunts.
  • SCorversSCorvers Member Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you, LF.

The big chain box stores suck. Everyone should buy local.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Got my fly rod at Cabela's, and wanted another. They don't carry that one any more. Got my boots at Cabela's, and wanted a new pair. They don't carry Chippewas any more. Think I am going to get a credit card with frequent flyer miles and get rid of my Cabela's card. Just gotta figure out what to get with the $350 credit.
  • spanielsellsspanielsells Member Posts: 12,498
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by He Dog
    Got my fly rod at Cabela's, and wanted another. They don't carry that one any more. Got my boots at Cabela's, and wanted a new pair. They don't carry Chippewas any more. Think I am going to get a credit card with frequent flyer miles and get rid of my Cabela's card. Just gotta figure out what to get with the $350 credit.
    I smell a giveaway.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    [[/quote]I smell a giveaway.[/quote]

Better see a doctor, your nose ain't working.
  • CaptplaidCaptplaid Member Posts: 20,296 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

I think there is some truth in what you say, not necessarily that nut jobs and gang members use AR's/AK's. .22's and Glocks are probably much more popular for those people, but perception is everything. The first time I was in a local shop and my cousin was looking at AR's, I did surprise me how it was very common people that owned them and were giving advice. I remember a retired gentleman telling us how he uses a Rock River to shot coyotes.

I guess these stores take the Zumbo position when there is room to market the AR/AK for sport shooting. There room to reengineer the marketing of this part of the industry.
  • mlincolnmlincoln Member Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cabelas costs more because it's a nice, clean, well organized store that is interesting and full of intelligent, motivated people. When I go to the one in PA the people behind the counter are pleasant and know what they're talking about. Cabelas tests its products and won't sell garbage. What they sell works and if it breaks they refund the customer's money right away. All of that requires that their prices be a bit higher than other places.

If you're looking for absolute rock bottom price, buy your Chinese pot-metal crap from the back of some meth addict's station wagon at a gun show. Then when it blows up your hand, hop on Gunbroker to complain.
    edited November -1
    I've only been to the Sportsman Warehouse north of Denver, but I liked it.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mlincoln
    Cabelas costs more because it's a nice, clean, well organized store that is interesting and full of intelligent, motivated people. When I go to the one in PA the people behind the counter are pleasant and know what they're talking about. Cabelas tests its products and won't sell garbage. What they sell works and if it breaks they refund the customer's money right away. All of that requires that their prices be a bit higher than other places.

If you're looking for absolute rock bottom price, buy your Chinese pot-metal crap from the back of some meth addict's station wagon at a gun show. Then when it blows up your hand, hop on Gunbroker to complain.

So anybody else who sell is a meth addict? I hate to tell you, but the chinese salesmen stop at cabelas on their way to walmart.
    Don
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dongizmo
    quote:Originally posted by mlincoln

So anybody else who sell is a meth addict? I hate to tell you, but the chinese salesmen stop at cabelas on their way to walmart.
    Don

Maybe he's referring to Homier or Cummins. You know, that's an idea. A traveling gun and outdoor sales show. Sell the best in Chinese crap. Call it a gun show with only one dealer. Set up show in every other K of, C VFW, or American Legion Hall. Print a 4 page newspaper of GREAT DEALS. Basically, use the Cummins model. This could work.
    edited November -1
    edited November -1
    i711422sq02.jpg

That looks easy enough to make with a cheap folding sks stock, for that matter, almost any stock would work.
    Don
  • 11BravoCrunchie11BravoCrunchie Member Posts: 33,423 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    ...and it sucked!

No it wasn't that bad. I just like to whine a little.

She wanted to go to Mackinac Island until I told her how many hours the drive will take. She didn't think she could take the drive yet. So we went to St. Louis instead.

Only thing I found was a 30 round magazine for an AK for $14.99. I don't understand why these stores are so afraid to sell AK/AR's Gander Mt. Sportman Warehouse, BPR and Caleb's all seem to be very slowly selling the guns and accessories. ARE THEY AFRAID?

Heck, Caleb's sell quit a few accessories for the Ruger Mini's but nothing for the AK's except for one magazine. I think they are all missing the market.

I did see one cool thing. They had a synthetic stock specially made to screw on a spotting scope. It had a pistol grip and the length was adjustable. Therefore, you could hold a spotting scope steady like a rifle. You could also attach a sling to it. I liked it but the price was three times tooo exspensive. They wanted $99! I would pay $35.

They're not missing the market, they cater to a different market: The suburban wannabe-sportsmen who work for Fortune 500 companies and don't know where else to shop, and wouldn't be caught dead in pawn shops or Mom-&-Pop gun shops where people who actually know what they're talking about hang out.
  • SCorversSCorvers Member Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • trc313trc313 Member Posts: 3,475
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cubslover
    Sportsman's Warehouse is where it's at!

[:)]

if we were getting deals like you[;)]
  • 204targetman204targetman Member Posts: 3,493
    edited November -1
    Most of the gun stores in my area (and there are only about 3) are not very friendly. The people running them have the personality of a rock. I dont get it. Your selling the experience of coming into the local store and talking guns and hunting as much as your selling your stock. Thats what makes the local store different. Or is suppose to. I could get that...I really dont care if you buy it or not look at wal-mart...Ahhh thats just me tho....
  • AHansenAHansen Member Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I love Cabela's. I can't afford the stuff there, not even in the bargin cave. Now Sportsman warehouse is the place to go. We have one in town and my boys and i spend way too much time and money in there.
  • shipwreckshipwreck Member Posts: 128 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I will say that I have ordered from the Cabella's website 2x - I bought handgun racks. Both shiped out ASAP and i received them the same week I ordered. So, their site has great service.