In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Disposing of dud rounds?

MosinNagantDiscipleMosinNagantDisciple Member Posts: 2,612
edited August 2007 in General Discussion
What is the best way to dispose of rounds that misfire? I was thinking of soaking them in oil for 24 hours, then just tossing them away. Thoughts?

(The rounds in question are 7.62x54r, delinked from a PKM belt. Ive been using them as plinking rounds for my Mosins.)

Comments

• v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Stick the bullet in the muzzle and bend the case till the bullet is loose then chuck the components.
  • fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by v35
    Stick the bullet in the muzzle and bend the case till the bullet is loose then chuck the components.
    Isn't that kind of hard on the "crown"?

Jeff
  • Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,614 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    stick them in a vice and hit them with a hammer!!! Oh, wait....didn't someone win that Darwin Award thing for that already?
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • bingeebobbingeebob Member Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    either pull the bullets, or chuck them into a lake
  • CaptplaidCaptplaid Member Posts: 20,296 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Locust Fork
    stick them in a vice and hit them with a hammer!!! Oh, wait....didn't someone win that Darwin Award thing for that already?

About as good advice as:

get a hammer and beat on the back of bolt and bolt handle, once it is all the way forward, beat back again and repeat the process several times, eventually everything will get bent into place, start with a normal drywall hammer, if this doesnt work you can up it to a 3 lb sledge or 10 lb if needed, ak can take the punishment

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=248316&SearchTerms=ak
  • Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,614 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You know how when you drink a lot.....and say or type things and you
    REALLY wish you hadn't.....wellllllll.
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • MosinNagantDiscipleMosinNagantDisciple Member Posts: 2,612
    edited November -1
    I really feel paranoid about physically disassembling the round. I cant help but picture the round blowing up in my face as that little extra force might just be enough to activate the primer (however unlikely that may be).
  • PointerPointer Member Posts: 939 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Believe me,soaking them in oil does absolutly nothing...it might deaden the primer but the powder stays dry.How do i know?..go back 20 years when i lost most of my firearms in a devorce.I reloaded and after looseing my guns i had a couple hundred rds of misc rounds,mostly 38sp, .357,44mag that i didnt need and didnt want to give away because i couldnt remember the load data.So i heard soaking them in oil would deactivate them so i went ahead and thru them in a 1/2 full five gallon bucket of used oil and forgot about them.Jump ahead 8 years and i move to the country..and yes i take the bucket thinking i will change my own oil again..never do,much easyer to pay someone $19 bucks.One day i deside to clean the garages and sheds and build a fire to burn all the wood and junk....you know wear this is leading! Yes i do a bad thing and deside to burn the oil,totaly forgetting the rounds that i put in there 8-9 years earlyer.I put the whole 5 gallon bucket with lid in the fire when 15 minutes later rounds start cooking off like the 4th of July.Took me 1/2 an hour to figure out what happened... couldnt believe the rounds were still active all those years in that oil.[:0][:I]
  • Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    MND
    IF you reload, or know someone that does, use a inertia puller or collet puller on them. If you don't reload, clamp the bullet in a vise and wiggle the case until the neck loosens up enough to remove it. BTW, the powder makes great fertilizer for the lawn
  • mondmond Member Posts: 6,458
    edited November -1
    pull the heads off with pliers, empty contents on ground, throw the rest, or keep the case, if of use.............[^]
  • Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mond
    pull the heads off with pliers, empty contents on ground, throw the rest, or keep the case, if of use.............[^]

The "head" of a cartridge is the end that goes up aganst the bolt, in the case of the 303Brit or 7.62x54R that would also be where the RIM is located.
    The part that's normaly removed is the pointy thing that comes out the muzzle end of the barrel, and it is called a "bullet". A assembly of bullet, case, powder and primer is called a "cartridge" or for a shotgun a "shell". Rifles and handguns use cartridges, shotguns use shells.
  • Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    I've got a special dud gun that I shoot my dud rounds in.
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    Bury them in moist or acidic soil. They will corrode in less than a year.
  • COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...Throw them in the ditch where you dump your dead cattle...[;)]

ani-texas-flag-1.gif
  • slipgateslipgate Member Posts: 12,741
    edited November -1
    I've had only 1 or 2 dead ones and its always been at the range, so I just put them aside and let the range warden know they misfired and they take care of them.
  • Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Next time you have a campfire, toss them in.
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    1. I am chea.......er, "thrifty." I do not throw away a good bullet or powder charge because the primer is a dud.

2. Bullet pullers are cheap. It pays for itself in about 100 rounds.

3. I often pull down ammo anyhow to reduce the charge (think 8mm turk, 8X56R here) and/or re-weigh, or check the powder for contamination.

A bullet puller is a good thing to have is what I'm getting at. Even if you don't reload, it will help you here. Dump the powder on the lawn. If you must waste those precious $.15 rounds (lol) I agree, bury them in damp soil.
  • 11BravoCrunchie11BravoCrunchie Member Posts: 33,423 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Misfired rounds sometimes fire the second time you try. It's a gamble.
  • LaidbackDanLaidbackDan Member Posts: 13,143 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd sell them to gangbangers.