In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Now I'm Ticked (Flag Edict Again)

n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
edited January 2007 in General Discussion
I had to go to the next town over to pick up my daughter. On my way I had to drive by VFW Post 2889 in Rock Hill SC.

This post (of all places) was flying their flag at full mast!

I immedeitly flipped a U-turn and went back and went in and talked to the quartermaster and asked him why their flag was at full mast when a former president had just died? He said the flag was only to be at half mast for 1 day. I promptly informed him that this was not the case and that if the VFW of all places should be aware of proper flag edict and invited him to look it up on the internet on how to properly display the flag. He basicly (without comming right out and saying it) told me I was crazy!

My next step is I am E-mailing the VFW National office!

Comments

• crims40crims40 Member Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's hard to fight total ignorance.....it'a a full time job. Our VFW here in town is flying it's flag at half mast.......

crims40
  • 11BravoCrunchie11BravoCrunchie Member Posts: 33,423 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Which prez died?
  • CaptplaidCaptplaid Member Posts: 20,296 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Zulu7
    Which prez died?

Harry Ford.
  • JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Fighting the American public about Flag etiquette is a losing fight which will eventually run you crazy if you persist, but if that is what you intend to do, maybe this will help. Good luck.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2006/12/20061227-1.html

TO THE PEOPLE OF THE UNITED STATES:

It is my sad duty to announce officially the death of Gerald R. Ford, the thirty-eighth President of the United States, on December 26, 2006.

President Ford was a great man who devoted the best years of his life to serving the United States of America. He was also a true gentleman who reflected the best in America's character. Before the world knew his name, he served with distinction in the United States Navy and the United States House of Representatives. As a congressman from Michigan, and then as Vice President, he commanded the respect and earned the goodwill of all who had the privilege of knowing him. On August 9, 1974, he stepped into the presidency without having ever sought the office.

During his time in office, the American people came to know President Ford as a man of complete integrity, who led our country with common sense and kind instincts. Americans will always admire Gerald Ford's unflinching performance of duty, the honorable conduct of his Administration, and the great rectitude of the man himself. We mourn the loss of such a leader, and our thirty-eighth President will always have a special place in our Nation's memory.

President Ford lived 93 years, and his life was a blessing to America. Now this fine man will be taken to his rest by a family that will love him always and by a Nation that will be grateful to him forever.

NOW, THEREFORE, I, GEORGE W. BUSH, President of the United States of America, by the authority vested in me by the Constitution and laws of the United States, in honor and tribute to the memory of Gerald R. Ford, and as an expression of public sorrow, do hereby direct that the flag of the United States be displayed at half-staff at the White House and on all buildings, grounds, and Naval vessels of the United States for a period of 30 days from the day of his death. I also direct that for the same length of time, the representatives of the United States in foreign countries shall make similar arrangements for the display of the flag at half-staff over their Embassies, Legations, and other facilities abroad, including all military facilities and stations.

I hereby order that suitable honors be rendered by units of the Armed Forces under orders of the Secretary of Defense.

In a further expression of our national grief, I will appoint in a subsequent proclamation a National Day of Mourning throughout the United States when the American people may assemble in their respective places of worship, there to pay homage to the memory of President Ford.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this twenty seventh day of December, in the year of our Lord two thousand six, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and thirty-first.

GEORGE W. BUSH
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • dlrjjdlrjj Member Posts: 5,528 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gerald Ford
    Tax evasion is illegal, tax avoidance is an art form.
  • horatiohoratio Member Posts: 98 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think we should all chip in to buy you a red & blue suit with a cape so you can right these wrongs and look official.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by horatio
    I think we should all chip in to buy you a red & blue suit with a cape so you can right these wrongs and look official.
    I would gladly do it![:D]

But it cannot be in the form of the U.S. flag as that would be a violation of the flag code![;)]

And I just did e-mail about 30 people at the National VFW offices!
  • Wild OkieWild Okie Member Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gerald Ford 38th President. He was president when I was in the army and then the Peanut Farmer got elected.[V]quote:Originally posted by Captplaid
    Which prez died?

Harry Ford.
  • PensfanPensfan Member Posts: 171 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is sickening how many places here in Missouri are not flying flags at half mast. Several banks, schools, and even government buildings have reverted to full mast already.

Not to mention the number of flags that are completely torn and shredded due to age, left out in storms, no lights at night, etc. Flag etiquette is a lost art it seems. Too many morons just toss a flag up thinking they are being patriotic. Too bad they have no clue what it really means.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Pensfan
    It is sickening how many places here in Missouri are not flying flags at half mast. Several banks, schools, and even government buildings have reverted to full mast already.

Not to mention the number of flags that are completely torn and shredded due to age, left out in storms, no lights at night, etc. Flag etiquette is a lost art it seems. Too many morons just toss a flag up thinking they are being patriotic. Too bad they have no clue what it really means.

You are so right!

I personally feel there is some resposibility that comes with flying the flag. And part of that resposibility is to know how to properly display that flag.

Anything else is a flat out disrespect to this country!
    edited November -1
    It ticks me off more to know that it is the VFW![:(!][:(!][:(!]

A Veterans organization should know, expecially since they do the flag dissposal cerimonies and all.

Just another reason that I will not re-up in the VFW![:(]
    edited November -1
    Well damnit, *_r_done, I was going to sleep late in the morning and lollygag around the house all day and do nothing. Now I'm going to have to get up and ride by the Legion Post and see what we are doing.
  • Red223Red223 Member Posts: 7,946
    edited November -1
    Anyone notice the Flag on the ground in the last edition of the Disabled American Veterans issue that came out?

They of all people know better.
  • BoomerangBoomerang Member Posts: 4,513
    edited November -1
    FYI - James - I thought you would want to know this.

VFW Salutes President Ford

38th President was Michigan VFW Post 830 Life Member

WASHINGTON, Dec. 28, 2006 - The nation's oldest major veterans' organization is saluting the life of one of its members, former President Gerald R. Ford, who died Tuesday night at the age of 93 at his home in Rancho Mirage, Calif.

Gary Kurpius, the commander-in-chief of the Veterans of Foreign Wars of the U.S., said that the former president served his nation honorably as a World War II naval officer, as a U.S. congressman from Michigan, as vice president, and then as the 38th president of the United States.

"President Ford built bridges not only here in the Nation's Capitol but throughout an entire country that was reeling in turmoil after the Watergate break-in and in the final days of the Vietnam War," said Kurpius, a Vietnam veteran from Anchorage, Alaska.

"Not all of his decisions may have been popular at the time, but history proved that they were the correct decisions, and that he was the right man in the right job at the right time," he said.

"We salute the life that he led, and our heartfelt condolences go out to his wife, Betty, and the entire family."

Ford was a life member of VFW Post 830 in Grand Rapids, Mich. He was one of a very select group of eight U.S. presidents who joined the VFW, the nation's largest organization of combat veterans. The others are Theodore Roosevelt, Harry S. Truman, Dwight D. Eisenhower, John F. Kennedy, Lyndon B. Johnson, Richard M. Nixon, and George H.W. Bush.
  • CA sucksCA sucks Member Posts: 4,310
    edited November -1
    30 days? I thought thew flags was to be at half mast from death till funeral.

Ie if funeral arrangements took longer than 30 days, you continue at half mast until he has been laid to rest.
    If he was laid to rest within 15 days, then you keep the flag at half mast for those 15 days.

At least that was the way it was explained to me, and it seemed to make sense.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CA sucks
    30 days? I thought thew flags was to be at half mast from death till funeral.

Ie if funeral arrangements took longer than 30 days, you continue at half mast until he has been laid to rest.
    If he was laid to rest within 15 days, then you keep the flag at half mast for those 15 days.

At least that was the way it was explained to me, and it seemed to make sense.
    C&P from:
    http://www.usaflags.com/info~topic~Flag+Faq.htm

When should I fly my flag at half mast?
    You can only fly your flag at half mast if the President or your Governor has declared that it should be so. You can also display the flag at half mast until Noon on Memorial Day. The flag should not be displayed at half mast for personal reasons. Upon the death of a President, the flag flies at half mast for 30 days, while it flies at half mast for 10 days for a Vice President.

The rule also goes for former Presidents.
  • fastcarsgofastfastcarsgofast Member Posts: 7,179
    edited November -1
    Just curious. My flag pole won't allow me to fly to fly my flag at half staff. What should I do? I hate to take her down but don't want to be disrespectful. I would get another pole but this is the only one I've found that will stand up to the wind.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fastcarsgofast
    Just curious. My flag pole won't allow me to fly to fly my flag at half staff. What should I do? I hate to take her down but don't want to be disrespectful. I would get another pole but this is the only one I've found that will stand up to the wind.
    If it truely won't go to half staff then that is different.

But very few won't. Even most wall mounts have a lowered position.
    edited November -1
    It's one of those that has the clips on it and they don't adjust. But no matter I went today and got a more traditional one. It's now at half staff and will stay that way until our period of mourning is over.
    I was also wondering should I get a storm flag for bad weather or just take her down anyway?
    By the way it is lit up very well at night so I know that I'm doing that much right.
    edited November -1
    It's one of those that has the clips on it and they don't adjust. But no matter I went today and got a more traditional one. It's now at half staff and will stay that way until our period of mourning is over.
    I was also wondering should I get a storm flag for bad weather or just take her down anyway?
    By the way it is lit up very well at night so I know that I'm doing that much right.
    That is just a matter of if you want to take it down or not.

I fly a storm flag and it is lit up by a street light right in front of it, so mine stays up 24/7.
    edited November -1
    Great, thanks for the info. I love flying my flag and want to do it correctly to honor and not to offend any body that has served our nation.
  • SSGRexSSGRex Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 46270
    I know it ticks me off, most of us here
    know just how dear Old Glory is to us.
    but it drives me crazy when I see people
    not displaying our flag properly.
    as you can see I drive my flags around
    MVC-793F.jpg
    I hear what you're saying...but are you aware that displaying a flag on the left side of your vehicle is also improper display?
  • SSGRexSSGRex Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    In your case, it is then appropriate to fly a black streamer along with your flag. Length of streamer is the same as "fly" of the flag (horizontal length), width of streamer is the same as one stripe.

On a wall mounted flag, three black ribbons are placed on the top edge, one at each corner and one in the center of top edge.
  • peonpeon Member Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Captplaid
    Which prez died?

Harry Ford.

Harrison Ford died!
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by SSGRex
    I hear what you're saying...but are you aware that displaying a flag on the left side of your vehicle is also improper display?

What you say is correct if you display one flag. If you display the flag to it's own right (right side of a vehicle) IAW The Flag Code, you have met the requirement of putting the United States Flag in the position of honor and it is permissible to display additional flags as demonstrated in this photo of the vehicle transporting President Ronald Wilson Reagan's body.

VehicleFlag.jpg