In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester Hi-Wall.

HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
edited December 2006 in General Discussion
Went to a little local gun show yesterday, talked with a man selling out his 'excess' gunstuff...he sold several rifles and 'stuff' while I looked over his wares.

He told me he had an old drop=block single shot action at home....50 cal or something...he had a barrel there that he said fit it, and the barrel was rough as a cob, for a trapdoor.
I didn't expect much.....

Went back today looking for the parts action.
Glanced in a box he had on the table, and went weak in the knees...there lay a nearly pristene Winchester Hi-Wall action...complete less the main spring....close-set double set triggers....I started shaking like the dog from the peach orchard
....and grabbed like I was 18 and that was...ah, well....
Action was built in 1896..and looks like it has never been touched by a buffing wheel and some ham-* 'gunsmith' at all... Oh, Joy to the World !!!

A GREAT New Years to ME.....Now, what to build, WHAT TO BUILD....decisions, decisions...

Comments

• Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,376 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    Just how stout are those actions? I always thought a 416 Rigby was a cool round.
  • Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    According to Haas, these actions are capable of handling most any shoulder fired cartridge...Would seem to be a shame to set it up for some 30-06, et al., tho....The .416 would sorta be 'romantic'..at least, the way I recognise the word...[:D]