In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Would you trust a scope off of gunbroker?

frankcastle13frankcastle13 Member Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2007 in General Discussion
Well it's about that time of year again when bear season rolls around and I need to buy a scope soon. I was looking at Wal Mart and found a Nikon Buckmaster 3-9x40 for 150 bucks and am looking at that because from what I've heard about Nikon scopes they should be pretty good. I was wondering if you guys would trust Ebay or Gunbroker to get your hunting rifle scopes.

Comments

• tazzertazzer Member Posts: 16,837
    edited November -1
    Iv won a few off both places and have only been bit once all the others have been great
  • acm1288acm1288 Member Posts: 263 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have bought a few from flea bay and have all been fine/ as described
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
  • tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,891 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hell ya, and I have sold some too?
    why pay retail
    I buy leupold, nightforce, and the like like they dont have a warrenty on the 1/1000000 chance they are are broken
  • nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 35,988 ******
    edited November -1
    On Gunbroker, unless otherwise stated, there is a return privilege, and you don't need a reason. Send it back if it doesn't measure up.

You can also call the seller and discuss it with him before you buy. Make sure the scope is in good condition.

Now, if it is a new scope, why worry? The manufacturer should take care of any defects.
  • spanielsellsspanielsells Member Posts: 12,498
    edited November -1
    I've purchased scopes before on Fleabay, and I've even sold a few that didn't work as well as I had hoped.

But, I'd expect that Fleabay will stop letting people sell scopes, as their definition of what constitutes a firearms part necessary to make a gun fire is about as vague a description as what is a gun with "no sporting purpose" described in HR1022.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Flea-who?

I have gotten several scopes on GB, with no problems.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by He Dog
    Flea-who?

I have gotten several scopes on GB, with no problems.

...and I've sold scopes. New in the box.
  • Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...AS long as you have looked at the model you want to buy in person somewhere and knew it would srve your purpose, I wouldn't worry about buying one off the auction side...specialy NIB...[;)]

ani-texas-flag-1.gif
  • chuckchuck Member Posts: 4,911
    edited November -1
    I had a bad experience with Nicon, they would not stand by their warranty. NO MORE FOR ME OR MY CHILDREN AND GRANDCHILDREN
  • FatstratFatstrat Member Posts: 9,147
    edited November -1
    As with buying ANYTHING at online auction, just follow a few simple rules and your odds of getting bitten are much less.
    #1. Learn as much as possible about the item you are interested in.
    #2. Try to choose sellers w/good reputations and feedback.
    #3. ASK QUESTIONS. I ALWAYS ask a question on EVERY auction I'm considering bidding on. 2 reasons.
    1st I want to know how willing the seller is to communicate w/me. No reply = No BID. If he won't communicate to sell it, he probably won't after it's sold. And I get a "feel" for who I am dealing with
    2nd: I want to see how knowledgable he is and if I can therefore trust his description. Vague or unresponsive answers = NO BID.
  • frankcastle13frankcastle13 Member Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Can anyone suggest a decent scope in the 100-170 range? I know Leupold's are nice but I would like to get a 3-9x50 if I can instead of the 3-9x40. It's for my Ruger no. 1 chambered in 30-06. I'll be hunting up in the Northern Cascades in WA and may take a shot out to pretty far out there. I'm open to all suggestions but want to make sure I don't have to replace it any time soon, so something with a good warranty and service.
  • RickstirRickstir Member Posts: 574
    edited November -1
    I bought a Russian 6 power for my AK. It was a good deal and a good scope.
  • SCorversSCorvers Member Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've bought 2 steel tube Weavers off of GB. Both work as they should and I got a great deal on them seeing how I bought both from the same seller.
    As far as a scope for your #1, the Weaver 3-9 Classic would be great for that gun. It has a 38mm objective. Anything over a 40mm in a 1" tube is like tits on a boar hog and looks rather silly. To fully utilize a 50mm Obj. you need to step up to a 30mm tube ($$$$$) which means you have to step up to 30mm rings (more $$$$$).
    Sightron and Nikon also make good scopes for the money. Stay away from anything made in China. Jap and USA are good, China bbbaaaaddd. MMmmkay?
  • givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    Scope? It involves trust no matter what you buy sight unseen. If you feel uneasy about the "trust" issue, perhaps GB's escrow service? (I haven't used it....not a recommendation. Just a thought). Joe
  • buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,235 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sightron S-1 is a great scope,maybe the best,for the money.125-150 bucks.