In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Reloading question

Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
edited November 2003 in General Discussion
I've been reading the 6th edition ABC's of Reloading book recently. Have thinking of buying a Lee Hand press ($65) to fool around with reloading. It will be awhile before I can get a Dillon.

http://www.leeprecision.com/catalog/browse.cgi?1069707715.856=rlpress1.html

Was wondering if anyone here had any experience with the little handloader?

Here's another pic of it:

http://www.outdoorguides.com/outdoor/relimage/lee90179.jpg

Regards,
190191.gif

Comments

• Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    Does anybody even check out the reloading forum? Are plugs to reloading questions allowed here?

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=462475
    edited November -1
    Well, my new Springfield M1A should be here any day now. I bought some 308 Winchester ammo already, but I like having at least 500 rounds for every firearm I own. When looking for good deals online the best I found was about $0.40 each. If I were to get into reloading, which I have considered since a previous post got me interested, approximately how much would these cost (each) then?Thanks
    edited November -1
    been doing some reloading today, plinkers only. After reading the manuals looking for the best economic loads for the .223 and 30-06 I noticed something,for the most part IMR powders produce more velocity with lower pressures. Why is that?

Next question, a 30-06 with a compressed load of IMR 4831, is a magnum primer recomended? I know some calibers with compressed loads need magnum primers and others do not. I have never "squeezed" any for the '06 and can find nowhere in my books as to whether I should use magnums. These loads will be used for some LONG range deer blastin tomorrow afternoon, we went out and checked out a farm today and all the deer we saw was 400 yards+, sorry but I know the limitations of my favorite little .223and I have no scope for the 7mm, so it's time to break out old faithfull. Any help ASAP would be appreciated because I need to load and sight in first thing in the morning.

BTW, I will be using a 150 grain boatail bullet if that helps with the primer question.
    edited November -1
    Was watching the Walking Dead and someone tries to kill Negan. Anyway he picks up the shell and ask who made it. Is there a way to tell a factory shell from a reloaded shell? Pistol round if it makes a difference, looked like a .45.
    edited November -1
    i am thinking about reloading 9, 40, and 45 what would be the best powder and primer for these? Thanks David
    edited November -1
    Hey reloaders got a question. I am just getting into reloading and wanted to know. Can you clean cases in a tumbler with the old primer in pocket and then remove and clean pocket or should you remove them then clean?
    edited November -1
    I have never reloaded, I do not know much about it, so, could one start realoading with this kit and some dies??

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=000449357
    edited November -1
    About how many rounds of 45 acp would you need to reload to break even if you had to buy all of your equipment? My son is interested in it and i was wondering if it was worth it. I used to reload shotgun shells in the 80s. I am not familiar with rifle or pistols. Thanks David
    edited November -1
    I don't reload so I'm not 100% sure what I have, I'm pretty sure it is all the needed dies for 32 ACP and 2 shell holders. There are currently 4 of these listed at the auction for $25 - to $49.50.

I plan on listing them for $5 start and $5 shipping but I wanted to be sure of what I have for an accurate description.

Any advice appreciated.

edit = I appreciate the responses and questions but no one has addressed the question of what do I have? Is this all the necessary dies?

32acpreload3.jpg

32acpreload.jpg
    edited November -1
    About how many 45 acp bullets can you reload with 1 pound of gunpowder. Thanks David
    edited November -1
    As many of you know I have recently started reloading. I have learned alot of different things by reading around on the internet and watching youtube videos. I have one question that i can not find an answer to, and i was wondering if you guys could help me. I have a Lee Colet Dye set for .270 WIN and when i'm done seating the bullet, i can easily push the bullet down inside the case (when i say "easy" i mean with like less than 2 lbs of force). Is this normal?!? I want to get a factory crimp dye, but i dont have any bullets with a cannelure.
    Can you only crimp bullets with a cannelure?? I'm thinking about getting the lee factory crimp dye. But i'm wondering if this will solve my problem.

Thanks for any advice.
    edited November -1
    I am having trouble finding a good load for a .243 with an 85gr bullet. None of the powders I have tried (4350, 4895, H380) will group any better than 2in. The best I have found was the Federal Premium (1 inch) but even when I use loads that should duplicate the muzzle velocity given on the box they don't group worth a darn. Any Suggestions? I was wondering if anyone has some pet loads. It's hard to find a good load when it costs $20 to try a powder. I have a model 7 with a short barrel.
    edited November -1
    I have an older rcbs rs 3 press. I dont know how to change the cartridge holder it all looks made together. Any ideas. Thanks David
    edited November -1
    Check my math here...In the reloading manuals, they always say, "reduce starting loads by 10%". So, just to be sure I have this right, if the lowest listed load calls for 50 grains of XXX powder, then...50 grains x 10% = 5 grainsWhich means 50 grains - 5 grains = 45 grains of XXX powder.Right? Or do I have this completely wrong?
    edited November -1
    I know you dont need a crimp on rifle rounds when using in a bolt gun but what about in a lever action or semi auto.
    edited November -1
    A long time ago, I shot a friend's .30-06 with some light weight - mabe 50 grain - saboted rounds which were supposed to fly at about 4000 fps. I remember thinking that they were an answer to a question nobody asked, because they didn't group well - pie plate groups from a rifle that was a MOA piece. I figured they maybe weren't centered in the bore and/or wouldn't stabilize in the rifling twist.

Are those bullets available for reloaders (yes, I are soon to be one of those)?? Can they hold decent groups now?? Any reason to want to do this?? Are there calibers other than .308 available?? Could a guy build his own??

Seems like a good idea, now that I are about to start reloading - if they can be made to work. I be's excited, now - ya know what I'm sayin???

God Bless America and...
    NEVER Forget WACO
    NEVER, EVER Forget 911
    edited November -1
    Will a Lee Loader in .223 also do 5.56?

I am asking not for myself but need the info.
    edited November -1
    I am just getting into reloading and i was reading the book that came with the used press. It is Speer manual number 11. It has so many different powders i am confused as which one to buy. I am looking at reloading 9, 40, and 45. Is there one powder that will do all three. Also i am looking for another book because this one does not have any info on 40 cal. Thanks for your help.
    edited November -1
    What do you think would be the best reloading press. I'm lookin at the dillon 650 progressive press now for about 600.00. Is there better ones out there for the money?
    I don't want to throw money away for a piece of junk, just want a good machine. I'll be loading .45acp,45lc and .223 most.
    Thanks JW
  • shooter4shooter4 Member Posts: 4,457
    edited November -1
    When you say saboted, do you mean with a wad of some sort?

My M1 will shoot MOA with Match, and really close to that with Danish ammo.
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Member Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They were called Accelerators by Remington (I think) I belive you can still buy the sabots and reload them but I have never heard of anyone getting any kind of worthwhile groups from them. If you want to shoot a light bullet, there are 130 gr .308 cal bullets available. If you are using it as your only rifle, for varmints to deer, use the ont rhat works best in your rifle even if its a 165 gr pill.

Those people who see nothing but grey areas, no black and white, are lost in the fog.
  • gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Big D! I got yer email!

I've found only one cartridge that can be easily converted to a smaller caliber by the use of sabots; the old 30-30!
    I got the idea to try to reload 223 bullets in my 30-30 when Remington came out with their Accelerator bullets.
    It was as easy as installing a gas check on a lead bullet.
    The sabots were available at Lock, Stock & Barrel a few years back, they probably still carry them.
    You just reload as usual until it comes time to seat the bullet; at which point you shove the end of a small screwdriver into the mouth of the sabot to get it open enough for the bullet, shove the bullet in alllll the way, and stuff it into the case mouth. The crimp holds the whole thing together-use a FIRM crimp, it won't affect accuracy since it's deforming the brass into the plastic, which grips that bulet better than Gorilla Glue!

Just be sure to check your overall length so it's less than 2.550", so it'll work in the lever action. SINGLE LOAD THIS ROUND IN YOUR TUBULAR MAGAZINE RIFLES!!!! Most 223 bullets are pointy, and may/will definitely strike the primer of the cartridge ahead of it-you don't want that!

If you know it all; you must have been listening.WEAR EAR PROTECTION!
  • 22WRF22WRF Member Posts: 3,385
    edited November -1
    I loaded alot of 06 varmint loads using Sierra 110 HP
    pushed with 56.6 gr of IMR 3031 3500 fps.

underway.gif
    You can lead a horse to water but....you can't make him a duck
  • BufflerBuffler Member Posts: 821 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sabots are still available. Check Shotgun News!!
    BE SAFE!! Buffler
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,306 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    22WRF I have shot a ton of gophers (ground squirrels) with my Ruger M77 30-06 loaded with Sierra 110 gr. hollow points.

81st FA BN WWII...Thanks Dad
    U!S!A! ALL THE WAY!!
  • magmag Member Posts: 464 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    E. Arthur Brown Co. has them. I think it is www.eabco.com

I bought a package to try in my 30-30 Savage 219 single shot. I have several thousand 55 grain soft points I need to expend.

mag
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Member Posts: 5,378 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Somewhere around here I have an article on how to reload them. I used to see them for sale on ebay all the time. I've been considering it myself. I have an old bullet mold meant for the 22 Hornet. I'm thinking a soft lead projectile protected in the barrel by the sabot might be pretty interesting. It would be a good excuse to shoot grandpas old krag.

Woods
  • whiteclouderwhiteclouder Member Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Doug,

Avoid sabots, you'll not be happy with the results.

Clouder..