In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Beaver Tails.......

longhunterlonghunter Member Posts: 3,242
edited November 2003 in General Discussion
I know that'll get ya all to look!![:D]Anyway I meant the 4 legged beaver,I wanted to know if anyone here had ever tried eating a beaver tail?The old time trappers thought they were good.They ate em rosated and also made beavertail soup[:I]I am serious...has anyone tried it?

Comments

• interstatepawnllcinterstatepawnllc Member Posts: 9,390
    edited November -1
    Mmmmmmmmmm, Beaver!!

Ted Kennedy's breath has killed more people than my car.
  • agloreaglore Member Posts: 6,012
    edited November -1
    Skinned and baked.

AlleninAlaska
    Delta Firearms & Supplies
    http://canadianfirearmsexchange.com

aglore@gci.net
  • jjmitchell60jjmitchell60 Member Posts: 3,887
    edited November -1
    Skinned, shredded, and barbecued! Can't beat it! Beaver tail stew is excellent as well. Are you haveing any trouble with fleas on any of the beaver you are trapping?

God protect me from my friends, I can take care of my enemies...
  • kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    Tails on beavers...fleas on beavers...y'all making me scared[;)]

Love them Beavers
    orst-title-1.gif

SUPPORT THE I.N.S. , THE COUNTRY THEY SAVE COULD BE YOUR OWN
  • longhunterlonghunter Member Posts: 3,242
    edited November -1
    No Beaver fleas here![:D]Anyone with a stew recipe I'd love to try it.....are small tails better than large?[:I]Does it make a difference?
    edited November -1
    I'll post a soup/tew recipe tonight. At work at the present time and no access to my book.

AlleninAlaska

aglore@gci.net
  • RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,636 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The first thought on my mind was the thread is about the 1911.
    Sex was my second thought. I must be getting old.
    The animal was my third thought so there is hope for me yet.
    At least sex won out over the animal. [:D] [:D] [8D]

sniper1.gif Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!
    spn05j5e04xq.gif

Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
  • kissgoodnightkissgoodnight Member Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Didn't try to eat the beaver tail as it was nothing but fat and gristle. The beaver was all dark meat and not so good at that.
  • outdoortexasoutdoortexas Member Posts: 4,780
    edited November -1
    Allen,
    you say skinned and baked. Down here it's throw it on the coals and then skin after it blisters. Body meat is dark, not the best of critters but tolerable. [;)]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by outdoortexas
    Allen,
    you say skinned and baked. Down here it's throw it on the coals and then skin after it blisters. Body meat is dark, not the best of critters but tolerable. [;)]

Thats what I've read outdoortexas, let the fire burn down to coals,throw it on ,flip it over,when the skin has blistered ,then skin it.Have you tried the tail?Beaver meat is suppossed to b HIGH in protein.The fat content is an obvious.I thought that the younger beaver meat was decent eating....I've recipes for muskrat also but just haven't been able to make myself eat one yet.I can see that they outa be good,they r vegetarians but.....
    edited November -1
    Had one for dinner last spring on the 32-day trek. Tail is better than the body meat, to me. All in all still not bad eating.

Covered this several times, most anything is eatable if it's not poisonous. Many fish and other critters are too boney, too fat, or more often "sound" offensive to many city dwellers.

Most of it is as you would expect, what ever we grow up with.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by outdoortexas
    Had one for dinner last spring on the 32-day trek. Tail is better than the body meat, to me. All in all still not bad eating.

Covered this several times, most anything is eatable if it's not poisonous. Many fish and other critters are too boney, too fat, or more often "sound" offensive to many city dwellers.

Most of it is as you would expect, what ever we grow up with.

Didn't realize you were a Treker Outdoor.....I do on my own,haven't found a group close by....
    edited November -1
    Canoe trips usually just 2-to four days, a few've gone ten.

btw, try that muskrat. Most folks I see go to too much trouble tryin' to make wild game taste like it came from a restaurant. Take a small chunk and roast it plain over the coals, then salt it. If it's tolerable, you may grow to really like it fixed in your kitchen.

I'm dead serious, it's mostly attitude. Great example is rattler, really good meat, but way too many can't make themselves try it. Once they do, almost all really like it.

Think beer and cigs. If your honest, as a kid you didn't like the taste, but we did it to be "cool". As you get used to it almost anything, it grows on ya. [;)]
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Save a tree, Eat a Beaver [:D][:p]

Pepe_stand3.jpg

"I dont care how thin you make a pancake, it still has two sides"

"A wise man is a man that realizes just how little he knows"
  • Warpig883Warpig883 Member Posts: 6,459
    edited November -1
    Beaver meat is better than beef, more tender and better flavor.

If I had to choose between elk and beaver stew it would be beaver, both of them are better than beef whether they are stewed or in steaks.

* is ok, nothing special. Muskrat seemed sweet to me, not that great.

Signature:

Signature checkbox
    checked by default?: Yes No
  • HangfireHangfire Member Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, I've just lost my appetite for the Weekend!!!![8D]

Gun control is a steady hand
  • old single shotsold single shots Member Posts: 3,594
    edited November -1
    I knew you could eat beaver.just didn't know you was supposed to cook it.
  • RimmerRimmer Member Posts: 23 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm the newest guy here but I couldn't resist....

Best line from a TV show. Mrs. Cleaver says...

"Ward, you were pretty rough on the Beaver last night"
  • jjmitchell60jjmitchell60 Member Posts: 3,887
    edited November -1
    Some saying they would not eat beaver reminds me that there are many things that are really good flavored if you get past the idea of what it is. As outdoortexas put it many would not eat rattle snake but yes it is decent. For those of you that have seen the movie "Patriot" with Mel Gibson, in the part where he states "dog is a fine meal", he is right. I ate dog meat as well as rat in China 5 years ago. They both were realy tastey! There are many things that we can eat that taste good once we get over the idea it is not common to eat it. Many a mountain man lived on beaver in the early 1800s and the funny thing is many a man starved to death on rabbits! Rabbit does not have enough fat in them to keep a man alive on rabbit alone. Many mountain men finally relized this and ate a teaspoon full of tallow (fat) a day with their rabbit in hard winters just to survive. Funny what man will eat or not depending on how it walks, crawls, or slithers! Just some ramblings.

God protect me from my friends, I can take care of my enemies...
    edited November -1
    Even Lynx is good eating. Cat, the other white meat.[:)]

AlleninAlaska

aglore@gci.net
    edited November -1
    Allen,
    maybe we need to swap steaks. Cat meat is one of the few things I haven't tried but have heard decent reports. Since you don't have rattlers up there maybe we could trade. We have plenty to export!

Thought of you the other night. There was a show on about exterminators, said Alaska was the only state that didn't have roaches. You don't have snakes either, do ya?
    edited November -1
    outdoortexas no snakes here. My part of the state also does not have mice, we have voles. I'll keep you in mind if I get some Lynx this coming trapping season. It starts on the 10th of this month but things won't get going good until the river freezes over and I can get acrossed to some good Lynx places. Until then it will be just fox.

AlleninAlaska

aglore@gci.net
  • BlackieBoogerBlackieBooger Member Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pickled heart and tongue from a deer are very good eating.

"Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, not liberty to purchase power."
    Benjamin Franklin, 1785
    123div.gif
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by aglore
    I'll post a soup/tew recipe tonight. At work at the present time and no access to my book.

AlleninAlaska

aglore@gci.net

Hey aglore,Don't forget my recipe? Or did I miss it somewheres...Fox,coyote,rtas are open here...not much doin tho.Too much water,and they aren't even close to prime.I'll wait a bit yet,next month everything is open and it 'll be much colder.Hope to have either Early Ice or none for a little while.Most of the time early season there is too much to get thru and not enough to walk on,the life of a trapper eh?? L.H.