In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Do you shoot real Cans with 22s???????

chuckchuck Member Posts: 4,911
edited November 2003 in General Discussion
Or do you have another Target to shoot with 22s, I am taking my neighbor out Monday to shoot 22 pistols. I like to shoot Pop or beer cans, Do any of you have something else that is fun to shoot?????????[:D][:D][:D][:D]

Comments

• SilentKnightSilentKnight Member Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bowling pins, and golf balls.
  • rordogrordog Member Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    SPUDS, old potatoes that are getting soft and growing arms. You know when hit'em, and the more you hit'em the smaller the target gets. I like to use my .22 rifle on them for offhand practice.
  • H.S. 10-XH.S. 10-X Member Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Black walnuts off the tree. They are about the same size as a squirrels head.

"If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know"- Kansas
  • idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    NO. I just shoot the fake cans. Fake cans are cheaper and more durable.

There's all sorts of directions you could go with this threat title. I'll just keep my mouth shut from here on out.
  • tapwatertapwater Member Posts: 10,335 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Any good and juicy fruit or veggie. Cukes are cheap. Also, ask at the grocery for any overipe stuff, peaches and apples are great. They may try to blow you off 'cause it's easier to toss them in the trash, but persist and speak to the manager. DO NOT say why you want them. Maybe to treat the horse, hogs, rabbits etc.

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
    edited November -1
    ids, tempting isn't it?

• chuckchuck Member Posts: 4,911
    edited November -1
    Ritz crackers sounds like a good ones, Down't have to pick them up Range is in the Mt. lots of critters to eat what is left. I like the potatos to. I have used cans for a long time, they move. and its FUN, FUN, FUN. And Cheap.[:D][:D][:D]
  • idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    tapwater-[;)][}:)][:D]
  • RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,636 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Any kind of plastic bottles or jugs filled with water.

sniper1.gif Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!
    spn05j5e04xq.gif

Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
  • jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
    edited November -1
    Pie tins stapled to a 4x4.
    I pick up stacks at the recycler,
    shoot in a few dozen holes,
    and take them back.
  • HappyNanoqHappyNanoq Member Posts: 12,023
    edited November -1
    We usually bring our .22LR rifles to the Iron-Scrapyard - and a 12 gauge to start with...

So we have nice targets for the .22's.. empty 12 gauge hulls or claytargets. =o)

Have used bowling-pins, glass bottles (that was thrown away), paper-targets, juice-jugs with water, TV-set, video, computermonitors, harddrives or whatever we could find at the yard.

Have shot at small tin-cans with cochtail-sausages with the .22LR also... now that's a mistake if you're too close and uses CCI Stinger.
    Yuck...

But it wasn't worse than when my friend fired his .22Mag rifle into a box/bucket of mayonaise..
    Double yuckk.!!

Don't do anything that I've allready done - That'd be just plain STOOOOOOPID.
  • PrebanpartsPrebanparts Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try Necco Wafers Candy
  • mr.peckmr.peck Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    How about ice targets? They shatter just like glass and the best part is no clean-up. I freeze small yogurt containers full of water,makes just the right size target for plinking.I use a small cooler to carry a couple of dozen to the range and when setting up remove the ice from the container so you can reuse the containers.[8)]
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    Filberts, tomatoes and punkins.

God Bless America and...
    NEVER Forget WACO
    NEVER, EVER Forget 911
  • BigBubbaBigBubba Member Posts: 171 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by H.S. 10-X
    Black walnuts off the tree. They are about the same size as a squirrels head.

You too? Black walnuts are my favorite, though sometimes I cheat a little and aim for the 2 or 3 in a bunch.

Old watermelons, whole or just rinds, and neat too, though large. If you want to really have fun shooting melons, though, try a .308! [;)]

"Keep your eyes open, do your own thinking, and be your own man."
    -Marshal Matt Dillon
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I will not go with my first thought.

Balloons, tied up with a piece of string.

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Member Posts: 5,378 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Necco wafers, Charcoal briquets, soda cans, clay pigeons, balloons, AOL cd's, eggs, the ends off of orange juice cans, a homemade gong.

I prefer the gong or the biodegradable targets. All signs of eggs, necco wafers & charcoal briquets disapear after a couple rain storms. The gong picks right up and you can fly. That's great working second shift, I can hit the range at the club before work with no time wasted picking up.

Woods
  • leadlead Member Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like to use all those free AOL cd's that come in the mail.

Hard work pays off in the future. Laziness pays off now.
  • powdersmokepowdersmoke Member Posts: 3,241
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by lead
    I like to use all those free AOL cd's that come in the mail.

Yea', I have a stack of them. I collect them from friends. They're just the right size for a 25-50 yard target. You can tell eazy when you hit them (which in my case may not be that often.[:D])

fc3cdbfd.gif

When you wrestle a 'gator, there ain't no good end!!

"Molon Labe!" Spartan General-King Leonidas
  • RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,636 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    HappyNanoq;
    quote:glass bottles (that was thrown away),
    How do you recycle if the glass is in pieces?
    Notice the absence of Smiley Faces.

sniper1.gif Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!
    spn05j5e04xq.gif

Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
  • HappyNanoqHappyNanoq Member Posts: 12,023
    edited November -1
    RugerNiner:
    quote:uote:
    glass bottles (that was thrown away),

How do you recycle if the glass is in pieces?
    Notice the absence of Smiley Faces.
    Yup, notised!!

We've got a "brewery" here, which is actually just a company that mixes water into a beer- or soda-concentrate and put it on bottles.
    "Beer-concentrate".. yes, it's a Tuborg and Carlsberg "concentrate" that is mixed with water, shipping it as a concentrate saves freight, because we don't have any actual brewery here.
    Beer and soda's are shipped from Denmark like this - and it's just as good as the real beer in Denmark.

Sometimes they throw away some flawed or broken bottles.
    I don't know why they do that, I'm all for Re-cycling - and think they'd be better off being recycled.
    BUT it is only the flawed/broken bottles - the good bottles are offcourse cleaned thouroughly and reused any number of times - the bottles are thick and strong.

but I hear it is actually cheaper to just buy a shipment of new bottles - than to send a 40-foot container of broken glass bottles to have recycled [:(]
    No, am not proud of that system.
    But freight between Greenland-Denmark and back again.. is a bit expencive, more expencive that broken glass would bring in. [:(]

Actually some people collect the "best" of the bottles in a bag or something - then they try and often succeed getting money for the bottles in the Bottle-return system which is a bunch of machines all over town that take whole cases and single bottles.
    The machines that collect the bottles for re-use - doesn't check the bottles quality - that is done at the "brewery".
    Each bottle is worth about 30cent ($US).

But whenever I see a broken glass bottle at the scrapyard - it's likely to end it's life on the line of targets.
    Still not proud of the system - but I might as well get some fun out of breaking bottles with no neck or bottom, before they're burried in and around the iron scrap-metal.

Don't do anything that I've allready done - That'd be just plain STOOOOOOPID.
  • leadlead Member Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most places around here will not let you use glass. Too much danger about flying glass shards coming back and hitting you, and the chance that the next guy setting up his targets might get cut on any broker glass left behind. We can only use paper or plastic where I shoot. Well, my son does like to use old McDonalds Happy Meal toys too.

• IAMACLONE_2IAMACLONE_2 Member Posts: 4,725
    edited November -1
    If shooting on friends land or the river (not much of that anymore). I would go to a auto body shop and ask for a damaged/scrap door or hood, which I would or could return to their scrap bin. Makes a good semi-backstop to slow the bullet down. On a door I would say that about 50% of the 22lr wont go through both sides, and if the do the travel around 100 yds then they are dead. A hood about 20%.
    I love shooting a Coke can to shreds. A styrofoam block 2x2" or a 2x4 about 4" long is good for water. But latley just been tearing up paper targets at local range, which gets boring after a while.
    Walte
  • H.S. 10-XH.S. 10-X Member Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Has anybody shot those exploding targets that you have to mix the stuff together. Are they as loud as the they claim?

"If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know"- Kansas
  • outdoortexasoutdoortexas Member Posts: 4,780
    edited November -1
    I was "can deprived" in my youth.

Dad wouldn't allow it. Said too big a target makes ya sloppy. Seriously, had me shoot at 22 hulls but didn't care about distance. Main point was you had to focus on the small target which would improve your aim.

Not that I'm a X-ring shooter all the time, but do think it was a wise practice habit.

woodsrunner mentioned charcoal briquets, haven't used those but sounds like a good target.
  • Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We do not allow shooting glass at our range. I often recycle missed or partial claybirds from the trap area as rifle targets. Some people buy boxes of clays as rifle targets. On time I picked up a big stack of metal trays for $1 at auction. I put a spot of orange paint in the middle and they made good "visible impact" targets.

"Happiness is a warm gun." The Beatles
    lifepatch.gif

Remember Ruby Ridge.
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • .280 freak.280 freak Member Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pickenup -

Your first thought didn't start with an "M", by any chance, did it? [}:)]
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    [}:)] [}:)] [}:)] [:D]

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • longhunterlonghunter Member Posts: 3,242
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by .280 freak
    Pickenup -

Your first thought didn't start with an "M", by any chance, did it? [}:)]

[:0][:0]
    edited November -1
    Haven't shot charcoal in years. If you're in thy wide open, they make great aerial targets. * cloud like mini flak. Look over your sights or better yet take them off. Frustrating and satisfying at the same time.Tossing straight up is the way to start.

• anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Doesn't everybody shoot tin cans! I like the CD idea though, I going to try that. I've tried golf balls and the bullet doesn't always go all the way through. Now I want to try hitting one of my "wounded" bullet carrying golf balls with a golf club.

Clay pigeons are nice and visible and gives multiplying targets!

Keep shooting and coming up with new ideas.[:D]
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Member Posts: 5,378 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I figure AOL must be at least a little pro gun. They keep sending me targets and putting them for free on the post office counter.

Woods
  • stanmanstanman Member Posts: 3,052
    edited November -1
    I use paper plates and permanent marker.
    I can make the bull any size I want depending on what I'm shooting and at what range.
    The unbroken white background makes it easy to see hits outside the bullseye, and there are usually plenty of those.
  • whiteclouderwhiteclouder Member Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    H.S. and Bubba (appropriate)

Do you have any idea where your shot goes when you miss one of those nuts? Good grief guys, get youre head out.

Sorry Chuck, had to take care of that first.

I shoot a lot of map tacks. I stand them up in the edge of a cardboard box and tick them off. The bright colors make them reasonable with open sights out to about 35 yards, with a 4X scope, out to about 70 yards. Have fun.

Clouder..
  • shooter4shooter4 Member Posts: 4,457
    edited November -1
    I save the plastic pop and water bottles, keep a can of bright orange paint in the truck, paint them and put them out on the berm. A lot more fun than shootin at paper, especially for the new or young shooters.

If you are just using .22 rimfire, it helps to fill them with that expandable foam stuff.

They work great for the .223 or larger, the M1 sends them up and over the berm sometimes.

Painting the charcoal orange works real good too.

Or just take out some clay birds.

A friend built a stand out of wood, that holds a bunch of mini clay birds. Works great.
  • sandman2234sandman2234 Member Posts: 894 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I got energetic and made a stand with a spinning wheel, and a couple of flappers, but somebody took a .44 after it, so it needs to be rebuilt.
    They make a .22 target that has 4 flappers hanging, and one on top to reset the 4.
    Doors off a tractor-trailer, as a background with yellow or red dots. Sometimes a small x on the background sdhelps. MT Shotgun shells,

Have Gun, will travel
  • sodbustersodbuster Member Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Heavy metal,,,shot at a distance that you have plenty of time to pull up one side of your hearing protectors,,,,,then listen for,,, the,,,,'dink'. [^]

,,,[:)]sod

cyclone.gifbw_308ar10t.gif
  • Gibbs505Gibbs505 Member Posts: 3,175
    edited November -1
    Paper targets and plastic milk jugs![:)]

Don't shoot glass or anything generally I can get money for!![:D]
  • paboogerpabooger Member Posts: 13,953
    edited November -1
    I have the resetting swinging metal targets for the kids to shoot at, they like it! Pretty cheap too!!! $30 from Sportsmans Guide!

Yes I have shot the exploding targets and they are a hoot! The stick on ones work fine, but the one's you mix{TANNERITE} have to be shot with a high velocity rifle cartridge, 22 won't set them off!

pacamopasrear.gif

To Ride, shoot straight,and speak the truth
    This was the Ancient law of Youth
    Old times are past, old times are done:
    But the Law runs true, O little son!
  • chuckchuck Member Posts: 4,911
    edited November -1
    I saw some one on TV has come up with a neat target, an Attorney[:0][:0]