In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Big guns vs. little guns

rordogrordog Member Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
edited November 2003 in General Discussion
Another topic brought me to this, but I recently graduated from a .243 to a 30-06 for my main deer rifle. My Ruger #1 has brought home many deer over the years, and most of them only moved a couple of feet (straight down) after being shot. I just don't think that it is the ideal deer rifle. Any cartridge will work when everthing goes right, but when everything doesn't go right, you need a little more horsepower. All bragging aside, smaller calibers are easier to shoot and that equals confidence, and confidence is a powerful thing. The point is that most of the deer harvested every fall are not giant trophy bucks, and average whitetails are not that hard to kill, given proper shot placement. I hope I didn't double standard myself too much.
P.S. (Confession) I wouldn't even
have a 30-06, but I wanted a new
rifle and two rifles in the same
caliber is kind of a novelty to me.

Comments

• Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My choices were,
    .270-antelope
    30.06-deer
    7mm mag-elk
    30.30 for backup/brush gun.
    It does not matter what you shoot, if you can not hit your target.
    The smaller calibers are easier to shoot.

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member Posts: 4,911
    edited November -1
    270 fer antalope
    30-06 fer Deer
    338 win Mag fer ELK
    Im kind of old and set in my ways, And my rifles are like me, kind of old, infact every thing I have is old.