In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

I need a good book!

riverguide323riverguide323 Member Posts: 201 ✭✭✭
edited December 2003 in General Discussion
hey all-
I need a good read...I'm spending too much time online! I like fiction or non-fiction. Like Adventure travel stories, Hunting tales, history of exploration, fur-trapper era stuff, nautical stories, etc..

Give me some titles, authors, storylines.
thanks-

.................................................................................................
"Pure wildness is the one great want, both of men and of sheep (John Muir)."

"In Wilderness is the Preservation of the World (Thoreau)."

Comments

• charlie15charlie15 Member Posts: 937 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How do you feel about comic books[?] Got some good one's out there!![;)][^][:p][:)][:I][:D]

"Well i'll be a suck egg mule"...Arthur Hunnicutt.
  • WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,813 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A few books that too me are great reads are Not in any order

Marine Sniper- the story of Carlos Hathcock

The biography and autobiography of Gregory "pappy" Boyington One's called Black Sheep one (biography) the other is Baa Baa Black Sheep (autobiography. I read the auto biography before the biography, and found if I could do it again I would have done it in the reverse order.

R/

Dave

How different the world would be if we could consult the veteran instead of the politician. - Henry Miller
  • CWatsonCWatson Member Posts: 964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Without Remorse" by Tom Clancy,fiction about a ex-Navy diver hunting drug dealers or "Zemke's Wolfpack" by Hubert Zemke,nonfiction about a first gen American of German descent telling his experiences as a P47 group commander in europe .CW

1.KILL EM' ALL AND LET ALLAH SORT EM' OUT!

2.NEVER WASTE MONEY ON SPRINGFIELD ARMORY!!
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1

God Bless America and...
    NEVER Forget WACO
    NEVER, EVER Forget 911
  • knucklehead14knucklehead14 Member Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tom Clancy books are always good!

Bad spellers of the world

"UNTIE!"
  • salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You like Hunting stories? Get a copy of Faulkners "go down moses". Its a sort of compilation of short stories, 3 of the five hunting stories.

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man
  • rogue_robrogue_rob Member Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "The Walking Drum" by Louis Lamour.

You won't be able to put it down, it's a historical novel. Not what you would expect from Lamour. It's set in the 1600's about a young man that lost his parents and is making his way alone.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0553280406/ref=sib_rdr_ex/102-7168915-9720918?%5Fencoding=UTF8&p=S004#reader-link

thanks for the idea of linking an exerpt ruger [:D]
  • RUGERGUNZRUGERGUNZ Member Posts: 5,638 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have I got a book for you. Read "Arundel" by "Kenneth Roberts". You will be forever a Kenneth Roberts fan. This book and also many of his others contain everything that you listed.

He has also written

Rabble in Arms by Kenneth Lewis Roberts (Paperback)
    Northwest Passage by Kenneth Lewis Roberts (Paperback)
    The Lively Lady by Kenneth Lewis Roberts (Paperback)
    Captain Caution by Kenneth Lewis Roberts (Paperback)
    Lydia Bailey by Kenneth Lewis Roberts (Paperback)

Here is a link to Amazon where you can read some of it before you buy it.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0892723645/qid=1070279402/sr=8-8/ref=sr_8_8/103-0690452-5036629?v=glance&n=507846

"Life is like standing beneath an incontinent camel, you never know when the snot is going to rain down!"
  • timinpatiminpa Member Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the fifth proffession by david morell best fiction book i ever read
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    Clive Cussler, the guy who found the CSS Hunley, just came out with a new Dirk Pitt novel called TROJAN ODYESSY.
    Half way through and it's a good one.

Genre is Nautical, action adventure, historical fiction, Cussler is a real life adventurer who finds shipwreaks and has written a couple of non-fiction works also.

...honor is important only when dealng with honorable men.
    You asked if I have reverence? I have reverence for truth, but I do not know what truth is. I suspect there are many truths, and therefore, I suspect all who claim to have THE truth. L'Amour
  • searcher5searcher5 Member Posts: 13,511
    edited November -1
    For hunting books, my favorite is " A Hunters Fireside Book" By Gene Hill. There is a collection of "The Od Man and The Boy" Stories By Robert Ruark that is excelllent, also.
    For fiction, try re-reading some of the old Raymond Chandler classics, or perhaps some Dashiel Hammet.

Proud member of the NRA

When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad, and that is my religion.
    Abraham Lincoln
  • Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mark Twain

Piers Anthony, Isle of Woman

John Steinbeck

Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

"Happiness is a warm gun." The Beatles
    lifepatch.gif

Remember Ruby Ridge.
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
    edited November -1
    Jack London, Hemmingway, Steinbeck, Dumas, Defoe,
    Arrowsmith by Sinclair Lewis

The Unvanquished by Faulkner
    Set in Mississippi during the Civil War and Reconstruction, THE UNVANQUISHED focuses on the Sartoris family, who, with their code of personal responsibility and courage, stand for the best of the Old South's traditions.

A Tale of Two Cities Dickens

The Three Musketeers Dumas ... Get a "good" translation, or it's sh*t.

california_bf_lg_wht.gif
  • concealedG36concealedG36 Member Posts: 3,566 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not exactly a book, though quite thick; Playboy just published their 50th Anniversary Edition! [:D]

G36

Gun Control Disarms Victims, NOT CriminalsThe 2nd Amendment; America's Original Homeland Security
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try Carry the Wind, by Terry Johnston. The beginning of one of the better mountain man sagas out there ('til Clouder's book comes out)

My heros have always killed cowboys.
  • Travis HallamTravis Hallam Member Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How about the bible? That is called the good book.[:D]

Any of the Louis LaMour Sackett series books are good to read for westerns.

The man who listened to horses is also a very good book.

Mad Dog
  • .41Dude.41Dude Member Posts: 97 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try the Harry Bosch series by Michael Connelly.
    His hero is flawed, but he knows that he is, and tries to be a better person anyway.
    NOT light, fluffy reading. Big questions, and some answers, about good and evil.
  • offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have you ever tried Edgar Rice Burroughs? His Tarzan, John Carter of Mars, and At the Earth's Core series are all enjoyable if you've never read him before.

Also, there's a novel called "The Butcher Boy" about a modern hit man that is a fun read. The author is exceptionally clever, though this is modern and more urban, rather than historical and woodsy.

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

lifepatch.giffortbutton2.gif
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Member Posts: 5,378 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    About a year ago a friend loaned me a book to read. I can't recall the author. It was written in the 1950's. The title was "The Lost Eagles". Excellent reading it was about the end days of the roman empire.

Woods

It's better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
  • MaddBiscuitMaddBiscuit Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Submarine Commander: A Story of World War II and Korea
    by Paul R. Schratz

Inside Delta Force: The Story of America's Elite Counterterrorist Unit
    by Eric L. Haney

The Right Thing
    by Scott Waddle (Who at one time was my XO)

"Nobody could have imagined the extent of the retribution that the U.S. Submarines would eventually extract from Japan's imperial Navy. We shall never forget that it was our submarines that held the lines against the enemy while our fleets replaced losses and repaired wounds, it is to the everlasting honor and glory of our submarine personnel that they neverus in our days of great Peril." Fleet Admiral Chester Nimitz
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Member Posts: 5,378 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    This was an excellent book. Read it a couple years ago. It's about the old time adirondak guides.

http://www.adirondack-books.com/keith.html

Woods

It's better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
  • JokerJoker Member Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ANY TITLE in the "Travis McGee" series by John D. McDonald, nearly any of the "Dirk Pitt" adventures by Clive Cussler, almost anything by F. VanWyck Mason in his Revolutionary and Civil War trilogies. (These last are becoming hard to find, unfortunately, but the ones concerning the sea are not only historically factual, but great reading.)
    If you try these and like them, e-mail me for more---
  • BigBubbaBigBubba Member Posts: 171 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lonesome Dove
    Dead Man's Walk
    Both by Larry McMurtry. A little rough at times, but great westerns.

1984 and Animal Farm by George Orwell are good if you like a little social and political commentary.

Old and New Testaments are good.

I'll have to second Marine Sniper. Great book.

Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo

Anything by Jack London.

Red Badge of Courage by Stephen Crane

Gone With The Wind by Margaret Mitchell. (great movie, too) A little bit too much of a romance novel at times, but still good.

The Hunt For Red October by Tom Clancy

BTW, I'm a sort of an aspiring writer, dabbling when I get an idea. Maybe some day you can read one of my works. [;)][:)]

"Keep your eyes open, do your own thinking, and be your own man."
    -Marshal Matt Dillon
  • spinyspiny Member Posts: 3,117
    edited November -1
    I can't believe someone else has read 'The Old Man and the Boy'! Used to belong to my Dad. Great read.
    Unintended Consequences by John Ross I think, one of the kids currently has my copy. Big book, but excellent.

spiny
    'not all who wander are lost'
  • flat8flat8 Member Posts: 887 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Anything by Stephen Hunter - especially "Point of Impact".
  • NickCWinterNickCWinter Member Posts: 2,927
    edited November -1
    Ditto the Clancy recommendations. What's the one in which we find out how John, the former SEAL, gets morphed into blacker ops?
  • FreudianSlippersFreudianSlippers Member Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you like adventure you might Edgar Rice Burroughs's series The Land That Time Forgot. The trilogy consists of three novellas: The Land That Time Forgot, The People That Time Forgot, and Out of Time's Abyss.

The Land That Time Forgot, which takes place during World War I, relates how Bowen Tyler assumes command of a captured German U-boat crewed by the survivors of an English tug and the German submariners. This command is undermined by sabotage and the ever-present danger that the Germans might try to retake their vessel. The saboteur secretly alters the U-boat's course at every opportunity until the underwater craft is far from all shipping lanes and deep into the waters of the south Pacific. Low on fuel with no chance to return to any port, the situation is grave. Rising out of the cold mists is Caprona and Bowen Tyler takes the submarine beneath the barrier wall through an subterranean river. When the submarine surfaces in the island's interior, they are afloat on a massive waterway teeming with a profusion of life that is mind-numbing.

Almost immediately they are set upon by huge reptilian creatures that have been extinct for millions of years in the outer world. It is a place where evolution has taken an odd turn. All kinds of bizarre and prehistoric animals abound, as well as aquatic monsters and gigantic flying reptiles. Curiously, however, as Tyler's group travels up the river to the opposite side of Caprona, they move into lands where the jungles become parklands and the fierce reptiles give way to predatory mammals and deer-like horses. The greater the distance of the mouth of the subterranean river, the more evolutionary advanced are the flora and fauna. Tyler's group eventually encounters apes, ape-like creatures, and man.

Nu%20Walking.gif
    Jacqueline
    www.gratuitouslylongdomainname.com

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants and the creed of slaves." -- William Pitt (1783)
  • boogerbooger Member Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The best non-fiction adventure book that I've read in years is "Into Thin Air" by Jon Krakauer. This is the climb and fight for survival on Mt. Everest in 1996. Once you pick this book up you will be staying up very late reading, it's chilling.

The Russian guide that was on an adjoining group who became involved also has a book on the same subject. It's called "The Climb" by Anatoli Boukrev. A very "Russian" practical matter of fact viewpoint of the same struggle/tragedy.

Them ducks is wary.
  • chorkiechorkie Member Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Either one of Chuck Yeagers books, most Tom Clancey fiction (my favorite is Red Storm Rising) , any of the Hank The Cowdog books if you want to laugh your butt off.
    CHORKIE

???
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Patrick F. McManus,

I did not see his name yet. (maybe I missed it)
    Anything he wrote, for pure entertainment.
    Anyone ever read any of his stuff?

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • victorlvlbvictorlvlb Member Posts: 5,004
    edited November -1
    Get something that J.Vernon McGee, wrote.
  • minnesota oldieminnesota oldie Member Posts: 63 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get back to the basics, anything by Jack London.

No quotes, no fancy graphics, just me.
  • jjmitchell60jjmitchell60 Member Posts: 3,887
    edited November -1
    If you like historical fact based fiction, check out an author by the name of Allan W. Eckert who writes books about the time of early American expansion from the French and Indian War up to the war of 1812. All his novels are based on historical facts. What he does is take true historical facts and add the story that could have been. His last book "That Dark and Bloody River, chronicles of the Ohio River Valley" is about the westward expansion, during the pre Rev. War to after the Rev. War time period, of the Ohio River. Covers a lot of information. Here are some of his books:
    The Conquerors
    The Frontiersman
    The Wilderness War
    Wilderness Empire
    A Sorrow In our Heart, The Life of Tecumseh
    Gateway to Empire
    Blue Jacket: War Chief of the Shawnee
    The Courtmartial of Daniel Boone
    Twiligt of Empire
    Wilderness Empire
    Wilderness Empire II
    There are many more as well. He has written 56 in all with some being about his favorite hobby, opal hunting/collecting! Go to Amazon.com and check out his selection. I have several signed by him and I can buy them in paper back at 10% above cost! See any you like let me know and I will see what it costs me at the KY State Park where a member of my home works. Also check out an author names Dr. Thomas Clark if you love early American history.

God protect me from my friends, I can take care of my enemies...
  • whiteclouderwhiteclouder Member Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Michener, except the last two.

Clouder..
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by whiteclouder
    Michener, except the last two.

Clouder..

You like Michener? I live in one of his home towns. They have a nice Michener museum, he spent a lot of time here.
    You should come visit. Ill let you stay at my homestead, but you will have to stay in the dog house.

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man
    edited November -1
    salzo:

Michener is one of our best literary craftsman. Yeah, I like his work.

I wouldn't make you stay in the doghouse.

Clouder..
    edited November -1
    Clouder- Well all right-you can stay in the house. Ill even give you a blanket.
    I havent read any Michener- a lot of people have told me to ggive him a look. What do you suggest as a first Michener novel to read?

-Jimmy the cheese man
  • anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    A few years ago I read "A Look at Life from a Deer Stand" on my deer stand. Wonderful book. I gave it to a friend to do the same thing on his deer stand. I think the author is Chapman. He is a singer/writer and expresses himself very well. (I'll see if I can find the author.

Bonne Chasse![:D]
    edited November -1
    salzo:

"The Source"

How 'bout a pillow?

Clouder..
  • spinyspiny Member Posts: 3,117
    edited November -1
    I will second The Source. Excellent read. Thought provoking (?).

spiny
    'not all who wander are lost'