In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

I need a good book!

2»

Comments

• whiteclouderwhiteclouder Member Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    An aside. Don't read Michener for the history. His facts can sometimes mirror an agenda. They are not erroneous, you are simply not given ALL the facts. Know what I mean? That applies to all his historical novels.

Clouder..
  • Mr.PissyPantsMr.PissyPants Member Posts: 3,575
    edited November -1
    The Lord of the Rings!

Tom Clancy novels I reccommend - Red Storm Rising, Cardinal of the Kremlin, Without Remorse, and Executive Orders.

fb0d9d60.jpg

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
    -Benjamin Franklin
  • beachmaster73beachmaster73 Member Posts: 3,011 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Anything by Patrick O'Brien....his Jack Aubrey novels are truly beyond the pale in their authenticity and adventure. I'll be the first to tell you they are not initially easy reads but once you get into them you are totally immersed. While I've yet to see the movie a friend saw "Master and Commander" and said that it wasn't butchered too badly.
    Also I am amazed that noone has mentioned the W.E.B. Griffin novels yet. Each of them is an exquisite work of literary art in the adventure genre. The "Brotherhood of War" series does the Army proud, the "Corps" does the Marines proud and his series on the Philadelphia Police Department is a pretty gritty rendition of law enforcement. What I enjoy most about these books is that they get behind the scenes and let you see how this institutions really function. In that regard his newest book "Retreat!-Hell" is coming out this January. I believe it is the latest installment on his "The Corps" series. I'll certainly be one of the first to pick that book up. Caution though, you should read these books in sequence of their publishing. Otherwise you miss a lot of the hidden stuff. Beach
  • riverguide323riverguide323 Member Posts: 201 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wow thanks for all the responses....I've got some readin' to do!

.................................................................................................
    "Pure wildness is the one great want, both of men and of sheep (John Muir)."

"In Wilderness is the Preservation of the World (Thoreau)."
  • Red223Red223 Member Posts: 7,946
    edited November -1
    0972311602.01._PE_PI_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Assault on the Liberty by James M. Ennes Jr.

1904132197.01._PE30_PI_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Operation Cyanide: How the Bombing of the USS Liberty Nearly Caused World War III
    by Peter Hounam, John Simpson

0894122436.01._PE_PI_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg
    Attack on the Uss Liberty
    by William D. Gerhard

http://www.ussliberty.org/