In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

POLL.....YOUR OPINION PLEASE..

n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
edited June 2006 in General Discussion
I didnt eat too many as a kid, didnt eat many as an adult before I met Classic, BUT, after meeting him have eaten quite a few watermelons....or rather slices....

I just cut one up for him and as usual I took a small piece and he asked me how was it...I told him,..Good but I prefer the large ones with the seeds...This one was seedless, round and smaller....The larger, black seeded ones seem to have more flavor...

So, whats your opinion?..What one do you prefer?..

Comments

• Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
  • brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,023 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    HMMMMMMMMM now I have to get one of each for Sunday to see.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yous be rite momma....

dem ones wif da seeds be more gooder.....sides' spittin seeds is part of da fun.
  • Wild OkieWild Okie Member Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Got ta have seeds.
  • Slow_HandSlow_Hand Member Posts: 2,835
    edited November -1
    I grew up on the large seeded ones and so I'm partial to them.
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,309 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    Gotta agree with the seedy kind. That is if I eat my one or two slices a year. Watermelon is one of those things I can do without and never miss.
  • RosieRosie Member Posts: 14,525 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hate watermelon or any melon for that matter. Every one always thought I was nuts but I can't even stand the smell of them.
  • 11BravoCrunchie11BravoCrunchie Member Posts: 33,423 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't care for watermelon.
  • gunoperatorgunoperator Member Posts: 788 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I will pass on the watermelon also, never have cared for it.
  • FrogbertFrogbert Member Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can impart some valuable information to the members of the forum on this particular topic.

A lot of you have heard that a watermelon has to be ripe to be good, and that is correct, because the sugars develope in the late stages of development. But, how can you tell if a watermelon is really ripe?

The answer is, that you need to balance the melon on your shoulder, and with the hand on that side, hold it very tightly against your ear. Try to seal your ear to the wall of the melon. Then, with the other hand, thump the melon soundly with the nail of your middle finger. If the melon is green it gives off a muffled, tight, tapping sound. If it is ripe, it gives off a deep, round, gong-like sound like a tank full of water might. Keep your ear really tight and once you have heard a ripe melon, you will never be able to mistake a green one for a ripe one again. If the melon is too large to pick up, just lean right over and put your ear on it where it lies and go to thumping. The important thing is to hear that drum-like water tank sound. Melons that are too ripe, show signs of it like a soft spot or withering on the outer rind.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    All you have to do is hold it in one hand,...thump on it and if it vibrates really well and you feel it vibrating in your hand, then its ripe....
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by BlackRoses
    All you have to do is hold it in one hand,...thump on it and if it vibrates really well and you feel it vibrating in your hand, then its ripe....

BR? your setting yourself up for that one
    [:I][:D][:D][;)][:o)]
  • dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,935 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Frogbert
    I can impart some valuable information to the members of the forum on this particular topic.

A lot of you have heard that a watermelon has to be ripe to be good, and that is correct, because the sugars develope in the late stages of development. But, how can you tell if a watermelon is really ripe?

The answer is, that you need to balance the melon on your shoulder, and with the hand on that side, hold it very tightly against your ear. Try to seal your ear to the wall of the melon. Then, with the other hand, thump the melon soundly with the nail of your middle finger. If the melon is green it gives off a muffled, tight, tapping sound. If it is ripe, it gives off a deep, round, gong-like sound like a tank full of water might. Keep your ear really tight and once you have heard a ripe melon, you will never be able to mistake a green one for a ripe one again. If the melon is too large to pick up, just lean right over and put your ear on it where it lies and go to thumping. The important thing is to hear that drum-like water tank sound. Melons that are too ripe, show signs of it like a soft spot or withering on the outer rind.

Throw them on the ground. The ripe ones are bright red. the ones that are not ripe arn not. Don
  • kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are not into drawing a bunch of gawkers in suspended animation at the local supermarket, just a light thump with the finger of choice will cause a hollow sound which indicates it's ready to eat. [:)] And, if you really have the ear for it, try it, discreetly, of course, on cantaloupes. [:0]
    What's next?
  • Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    I prefer the "seed" watermelons; however I do object to the reference of "seedless" regarding watermelons. They have seeds, it's just that the seeds are not as developed as the seed type. So actually it is those with ripe seeds and those with unripe seeds, and one could draw a corelation regarding overall ripeness.
  • SGSG Member Posts: 7,548
    edited November -1
    Ahhh, thanks for the idea BlackRoses,think Im gonna go slice me up some now[:D]
  • Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,617 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Granny always said the lower the tone when you slap it the better it would be.....I let the kids pick out one the other day and it looked like they were playing the bongos.
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Queen of SwordsQueen of Swords Member Posts: 14,355
    edited November -1
    Watermelon is good, when injected with vodka. Then the seeds don't matter much....[8D]
  • catpealer111catpealer111 Member Posts: 10,695
    edited November -1
    I likes mine with cornbread, fried chicken, and red kool aid
  • interstatepawnllcinterstatepawnllc Member Posts: 9,390
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rcrxs old lady
    Watermelon is good, when injected with vodka. Then the seeds don't matter much....[8D]
    Everclear, a much better option!
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by interstatepawnllc
    quote:Originally posted by rcrxs old lady
    Everclear, a much better option!

Is that stuff smooth when mixed, or what?![:p]
    What's next?
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    I'm partial to the big stripers myself. With a butterknife, I can bypass most of the seeds by cutting right on the seed line. The seedless ones are never as sweet.
  • Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    I like the solid green ones, but under the right circumstances a big stripper is good too.[;)]
  • dlrjjdlrjj Member Posts: 5,528 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I knew the man who "invented" them moderately well and for a lot of years. He died about three years ago. Here is a short link about Orie J. Eigsti, watermelon engineer.

http://www.goshennews.com/news/files/2003/5/5-05-2003/news2.html
    Tax evasion is illegal, tax avoidance is an art form.
  • One shotOne shot Member Posts: 1,027
    edited November -1
    They are best injected with your favorite booze and frozen.
  • CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The seeded melons are always better tastin'. And the seeds make good spittin ammo to boot.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • tacking1tacking1 Member Posts: 3,844
    edited November -1
    we have about 20 hills planted in the garden this year and for the first time I am optimistic about them. I have not had any luck in the past.

I'll let y'all know how they turn out!
  • RustyNailRustyNail Member Posts: 803 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I tried a seedless "yellow-meated" watermelon recently. It was pretty good. I wonder how they propagate those[?]
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    The one we had was red and round....I have seen the yellow variety, even tried a piece but to me there is nothing like the big red juicy ones....Seems they go with kids, summer, eating out etc...Yellow ones just dont fit the bill....

Might sound crazy but get a mental pic of kids at the beach eating yellow watermelon, and you will find something seriously wrong witht he pic...

Why would I want to ruin a perfectly good watermelon by injecting it with booze? or ruin a perfectly good drink?....YUCK
  • bartobarto Member Posts: 4,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't think you'll look like the brightest bulb on the planet when people see you humped over a melon in the middle of the patch thumping it.
    Dcon's right, the color will give em away every time.
    [^]barto[^]
  • Glock23ExpertGlock23Expert Member Posts: 1,031 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sprinkle a bit of salt on it next time and it'll help draw out the sweetness.
  • Queen of SwordsQueen of Swords Member Posts: 14,355
    edited November -1
    The one we had was red and round....I have seen the yellow variety, even tried a piece but to me there is nothing like the big red juicy ones....Seems they go with kids, summer, eating out etc...Yellow ones just dont fit the bill....

Might sound crazy but get a mental pic of kids at the beach eating yellow watermelon, and you will find something seriously wrong witht he pic...

Why would I want to ruin a perfectly good watermelon by injecting it with booze? or ruin a perfectly good drink?....YUCK

Because it's refreshing, and intoxicating....[8D]
  • dlrjjdlrjj Member Posts: 5,528 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    We've been getting some very sweet seedless melons around here lately. Much better than they usually are.
    Tax evasion is illegal, tax avoidance is an art form.
  • scottm21166scottm21166 Member Posts: 20,723
    edited November -1
    I kinda like the small ones...I drill a hole in them and then poke at the moist pink, yummie stuff inside....nectar of the gods I say[:p]
  • dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,935 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by scottm21166
    I kinda like the small ones...I drill a hole in them and then poke at the moist pink, yummie stuff inside....nectar of the gods I say[:p]

What ya poke with? Don
  • chollagardenschollagardens Member Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Each variety of watermelon has different qualities. Growers consider disease resistance, yield, ability to ship with out damage, size, rind color, flesh color, days to harvest (like getting the product to the market in time for the fourth of July), and oh yeah flavor.
    Thumping the melon is helpful relative to getting a acceptable melon from what is offered at the store. If you look you should be able to find better melons. Some stores have better produce than others. Also there should be a lot of local growers in your area. Shop around and if it is possible ask what variety is offered. Soon you will know what type is best and who sells it.

I am growing Carolina Cross this year. It is known for it's size but no mention is made of eating quality. My thirteen year old son wants to grow a big melon!
  • Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This one was seedless, round and smaller....The larger, black seeded ones seem to have more flavor...

So, whats your opinion?..What one do you prefer?..

I like the flavor of "regular" watermelon. Sometimes the seedless variety can be tasty but picking out a ripe one is tricky.
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • MOMMASBOYMOMMASBOY Member Posts: 290 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    HERE IN SOUTHERN MISSOURI WE ARE GETTING SOME VERY SWEEL SEEDLESS MELONS THIS YEAR. DONT CARE TO FOOL WITH SEEDS. THE BLACK DIAMOND IS THE BEST MELON IN MY BOOKS. DONT FINT THEM VERY OFTER.
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Where are Bible freaks protesting the genetic engineering of the "unnatural" seedless watermelon?

[:p][}:)]

My experience has been that the bigger seeded ones taste better.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by beantownshootah
    Where are Bible freaks protesting the genetic engineering of the "unnatural" seedless watermelon?

[:p][}:)]

My experience has been that the bigger seeded ones taste better.

Baltimore, and Baltimore South, (Atlanta). [^]
    What's next?