In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Gnostic Christianity Still Alive? Are You One?

boeboeboeboe Member Posts: 3,331
edited July 2006 in General Discussion
With the discussions on "what is an atheist", "what is an agnostic", etc, I thought this may be a fun test for some of you to take. Hopefully, it can remain an adult and civil discussion.

Much of the thrust of early Christianity (4th century) was to define what they, as a religion, could accept as true, and what they could not accept as "gospel". Prior to this time, there existed a group of "so-called Christians" we now consider "Gnostics". Without going into what a "Gnostic Christian" is, I would like to first suggest that many of you may be Gnostic Christians and not realize it. Frankly, I have considered myself a Gnostic Christian for several years, even though it seems this sub-group of Christianity apparently started ending when Constantine the Great began to embrace Christianity, and finally when Theodosius proclaimed Christianity to be the State religion of Rome a few decades later.

I found an interesting quiz, and actually my suspicions were confirmed in taking the quiz. The results of the quiz came back that I am a "Modern Christian Gnostic". I am sure that there are many here would will take the test and confirm that they are "fundamentalists Christians" or "mainstream Christians". Maybe a handful will find they are actually "traditional Gnostics" or some such.

I just found this to be sort of fun; it did seem to confirm to me that I am, at the very least, a "Gnostic Christian" to some degree. No surprise to me. But I am wondering if other regulars here would be willing to post their results?

Don't overlook the yellow bars and anwser them as well, as to how you rate the significant of the question.

http://selectsmart.com/FREE/select.php?client=christgnostic

Comments

• Patriots sonPatriots son Member Posts: 915 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Fudamental Christian, also that I won 1000$, and I am a good kisser[:)]
  • boeboeboeboe Member Posts: 3,331
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Patriots son
    Fudamental Christian, also that I won 1000$, and I am a good kisser[:)]

That always seems to happen to fundamentalist Christian. Why?
  • Wild OkieWild Okie Member Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Fundamental Christian and I won a prize too.
  • Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    I scored as a fundamentalist; however, I'm not sure what that is supposed to mean.
  • oldemagicsoldemagics Member Posts: 5,821 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    didnt really need to take the test, figured i was a gnostic for years. seems im reading more on various takes on different religions now than if i took a "comparitive religions" course some where...none of the "accepted" religions seem to be able to suit me as i get older as each is the only "right" interpretation, but none seems able to give a truely definitive answer on much of anything.
  • sharpshooter039sharpshooter039 Member Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    well it said I'm a Modern Christian Gnostic so I guess now I will have to look up Gnostic and see what I am
  • KSUmarksmanKSUmarksman Member Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It says I'm a mModern Gnostic, no surprise there
  • Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    Religion has about four elements, generally they are FAITH, KNOWLEDGE, HISTORY, EMOTION. The Gnostic approach is to emphasize knowledge and devalue the others. As such Gnostics would have the more logical viewpoint, looking for an understandable solution to every occurance, such as how the Universe was started, how did Mary become pregnant, how did Jesus raise from the dead and so on. As such they differ from traditional Christians primarily on the Faith issue.
  • kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ray B
    Religion has about four elements, generally they are FAITH, KNOWLEDGE, HISTORY, EMOTION. The Gnostic approach is to emphasize knowledge and devalue the others. As such Gnostics would have the more logical viewpoint, looking for an understandable solution to every occurance, such as how the Universe was started, how did Mary become pregnant, how did Jesus raise from the dead and so on. As such they differ from traditional Christians primarily on the Faith issue.

Thanks for the understanding.
    What's next?
  • spanielsellsspanielsells Member Posts: 12,498
    edited November -1
    I won a 42" plasma tv.

Interestingly enough, Traditional Christian Gnostic.
  • boeboeboeboe Member Posts: 3,331
    edited November -1
    It is interesting to me that even though "Roman Christianity" persecuted and presumably abolished "Gnostic Christianity" through the period of Constantine to Theodosius, ca 4th century AD, that there still exist Gnostic Christians! And many of them don't even realize that is what they are.

This, in spite of the fact that there are very, very few organized Gnostic churches. Outside of the internet, I have never seen one! Those that exist must be considered as very "unusual", I am sure. Well, actually, I think the Society of Friend (Quakers) tend to be somewhat Gnostic in their thinking and methods, but even Friends churches are not that common.
  • anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nope, I'm certainly not a Gnostic Christian!

I think I'm what you'd call an evangelical believer in Jesus set free by the Holy Spirit to love you into the kingdom of God. And I'm having a lot of fun enjoying God and doing all I can do for his glory and the good of his people.

Folks, the Good News is so good, we just can't keep it to ourselves!