In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Red Stripe

RUGERGUNZRUGERGUNZ Member Posts: 5,638 ✭✭
edited July 2006 in General Discussion
It's Beer! Hooray Beer!

Comments

• yearofspideryearofspider Member Posts: 1,657 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by RUGERGUNZ
    It's Beer! Hooray Beer!

I second that[:D]CHEERS!!
  • joker5656joker5656 Member Posts: 5,598 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    are you spieing on me? i just bought a case of that after work tonight
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Never had Red stripe before- But I will hoist a Red Tail ale to ya[:D]
  • tapwatertapwater Member Posts: 10,335 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ....Red Stripe....Ya, mon.
  • KSUmarksmanKSUmarksman Member Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    da beer in da short ugly bottle

have you guys been watching too much Spike TV as well?
  • PJPJ Member Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    From Jamaca, mon.
    Pete
  • alledanalledan Member Posts: 19,541
    edited November -1
    Never had Red stripe, All I have here is Labatt's.
  • dolfandolfan Member Posts: 4,159
    edited November -1
    Two weeks ago, I was in Ocho Rios, Jamaica. Climbed Dunn's River Falls with the family and afterwards drank about 8 or so Red Stripes.
    I was, like they say in Jamaica...NO PROBLEM, MON.
  • victorlvlbvictorlvlb Member Posts: 5,004
    edited November -1
    This is funny,I was in Cuba in 1964.After work I stopped at the E.M club.It was an outdoor thing that closed around nine or ten o'clock.Had two red stripe beers and had to be carried to the barracks.They had no rules in those days on how much alcohol could be in beer i'm told.
  • dogmandogman Member Posts: 177 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I loved Ocho Rios! Those falls are spectacular. Wife and kids couldn't make it up the whole thing, so I left 'em behind. Can't wait to go back.
  • whiteclouderwhiteclouder Member Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Had one of those this week. It's really good beer.

Clouder..
    edited November -1
    ....On St. Lucia, the only local brew is "Piton", named for the twin peaks on the island, the Pitons. It's really quite good, somewhat like a cross between Red Stripe and Labatt's or Old Milwaukee.

....I didn't trust the water or ice, so that left Coke or beer. I did bring something home, though....a 104 degree fever that had me hallucinating. Those jungle pathogens can really whip a white man's butt.[xx(]
  • tacking1tacking1 Member Posts: 3,844
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tapwater
    ....On St. Lucia, the only local brew is "Piton", named for the twin peaks on the island, the Pitons. It's really quite good, somewhat like a cross between Red Stripe and Labatt's or Old Milwaukee.

....I didn't trust the water or ice, so that left Coke or beer. I did bring something home, though....a 104 degree fever that had me hallucinating. Those jungle pathogens can really whip a white man's butt.[xx(]

you ever had Banks Beer....brewed in barbados? crisp and clean..reminds me of a Carona.
  • SGSG Member Posts: 7,548
    edited November -1
    I think they brew that crap with the stagnent ditch waters of Kingston. Nasty beer. More stuff grows in that beer than what grows in the brewer's dreadlocks![xx(]
  • spanielsellsspanielsells Member Posts: 12,498
    edited November -1
    Red Stripe is a Jamaican beer. If you head down to the Sandals Resorts (we stayed at the one in Ocho Rios and the one in Montego Bay), they have a beer guzzling contest and use Red Stripe.

Neither me or my wife drink beer (we prefer wine and hard liquor), but we have talked to some of the participants who have indicated that it wasn't the best beer on the planet. Of course, in Jamaica, it was served at room temperature instead of chilled, so perhaps that made a difference.
  • Glock23ExpertGlock23Expert Member Posts: 1,031 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'll be in Ocho Rios 2 weeks from tomorrow on my honeymoon. I'll have to try Red Stripe. Thanks for the reminder! [:D]
    edited November -1
    You're not doing Sandals, are you?

If you are, understand that most of the "fun" things you have seen in the brochures, etc. are NOT included in the all-inclusive rate. Rather, you have to pay (and pay dearly) to do pretty much anything that's not included.

Some of the additional trips are worth it, some are a major rip-off.

We enjoyed Ocho Rios (it was on our honeymoon, too), but we were a bit disappointed with what we considered to be false advertising on behalf of Sandals.

Just make sure you bring your wallet. You'll need it more than you'll ever know.

Oh yeah, the "no tipping" thing is BS. You'll start tipping everyone for everything the second you get off the plane. Watch for your luggage to be held hostage, that's the first start.

Finally, save enough cash (yes cash) for the return trip to the airport. Cash is the only way you can pay for the mandatory airport transfer fee that nobody seems to tell you about. Ask when you check in how much that runs so you're sure to save enough.
    edited November -1
    ...Spanielsells...We stayed at the couples only Sandals when on St. Lucia. Man, we didn't pay extra for anything. Snorkling trips to the reef, kayaks, you name it, all included. We stayed a week, and I went around tipping on our last day, though a little something to our favorite barkeeps during the week insured that we were treated well.

....Hostage luggage: When we were shuttled to the airport, one bag had been left behind. I thought "Here we go".
    ....They got a helicoptor to come get the bag and get it to the airport in time for our flight! There wasn't anyone around to tip for this, so I sure can't complain about our treatment at all. 'Course, this was a few years ago. Service may have declined since then.
  • CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Been on the Old Style kick for the last couple cases. 30pk/12.99, can't beat it. I'm mainly drinking it for the cans (CUBS CANS). We have our own Cubs room, it's basically our family room covered in Cubs memorabilia. We're thinking of turning the cans into a string of lights.

Last import I had was a 12pk of Heinie's. A Red Stripe does sound good right now.

www.oldstylebeer.com
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • Glock23ExpertGlock23Expert Member Posts: 1,031 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Spanielsells, yeah, we're doing Sandals. I'll pass this info on to the travel agent and the fiancee. Hope I don't have to leave phantom turds behind b/c of false advertising. [:D] I've been known to do that before.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tapwater
    ...Spanielsells...We stayed at the couples only Sandals when on St. Lucia. Man, we didn't pay extra for anything. Snorkling trips to the reef, kayaks, you name it, all included. We stayed a week, and I went around tipping on our last day, though a little something to our favorite barkeeps during the week insured that we were treated well.

....Hostage luggage: When we were shuttled to the airport, one bag had been left behind. I thought "Here we go".
    ....They got a helicoptor to come get the bag and get it to the airport in time for our flight! There wasn't anyone around to tip for this, so I sure can't complain about our treatment at all. 'Course, this was a few years ago. Service may have declined since then.

St. Lucia isn't Jamaica, and therein lies the difference. Mind you, Sandals treated us well, but they indicated that jet-skiing and some other fancy stuff was included when it wasn't. Snorkeling was included, as was sunfish sailing, kayaking, etc. Plus all the booze was free.

We were in Ocho Rios for a week and Montego Bay for a week. Both resorts were the same deal, having to tip everyone (off the resort) just to get around.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Glock23Expert
    Spanielsells, yeah, we're doing Sandals. I'll pass this info on to the travel agent and the fiancee. Hope I don't have to leave phantom turds behind b/c of false advertising. [:D] I've been known to do that before.

Take some extra money to do Dunn's River Falls. That's definitely worth the trip. There's also some bamboo river float that was 100% worth the money. Bring extra money for tipping your river boat guide, who will carve a very neat design for you and your new bride into the shell of a coconut (we still have ours). I'd suggest $10 to the guide for that.

Your luggage will cost you at least $5.00 the second you get off the plane. Your drivers can be tipped $2-3 per trip.

Don't tip anyone ON the resort, and you'll be fine.

Oh, there's a fancy restaurant on the resort that is VERY difficult to get into. Be sure to make your dinner reservations at that place pretty much as soon as you check in, otherwise you might find yourself unable to even get in.

Finally, if you're in the bungalos, you'll be put right next to the ampitheater which is where the steel drum band plays from 9-11pm, no problem if you're not exhausted and wanting to get to sleep, otherwise, you're up for a bit.