In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Man, am I ever Torqued......!

captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
edited July 2006 in General Discussion
My Stupid 93 Model Jeep Wrangler has cost Me a 'BUNCH' the past few months..! New Engine, New Brakes, New Clutch, Pressure Plate and Throwout Bearing, Windshield was replaced....Put on a Hardtop and Alarm system and now the dang thing is making a strange sound in the Front some place...Not Loud....just a new Sound to My Ear...Got 4 new Tires on last month...Think I'm gonna trade it off for a Pickup....Grrrrr............

Comments

• Patriots sonPatriots son Member Posts: 915 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Got some pictures?
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Sorry to hear about the problems...but be thankful you can afford to get it fixed[:)] Sounds like a lemon.
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Captin. Trade it in on a new Rubicon< I have been a Jeep CJ owner for years and refused to buy a wrangler until they built one like the original CJ now is the time. This is the last year for Dana 44's air lockers etc.

The 2006 Rubicon is bullet proof just like the old
    School jeeps. Mine is going to run Moab Utah soon.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by FrancF
    Captin. Trade it in on a new Rubicon< I have been a Jeep CJ owner for years and refused to buy a wrangler until they built one like the original CJ now is the time. This is the last year for Dana 44's air lockers etc.

The 2006 Rubicon is bullet proof just like the old
    School jeeps. Mine is going to run Moab Utah soon.

[8D]
  • gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    Can we use it for target practice? We could do a raffel and the winner sets up the range time and place. What do you think? [8D]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gap1916
    Can we use it for target practice? We could do a raffel and the winner sets up the range time and place. What do you think? [8D]

I've got the range...You guys can name the time[;)][:)]
  • HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    Grit your teeth and fix it. You have tossed big handfulls of cash at the thing already...and a few bucks more might put you on the road for several years.

I have bought several vehicles over the years where folks have rebuilt bunches of stuff on the rig...then got disgusted and quit..thereby allowing me to spend another couple hundred and driving it for 3-4 years trouble-free....[:D]

"Strange sound up front" MIGHT be a wheel bearing...or the brake pad wear signal. 50 bucks.....
  • jimbowbyjimbowby Member Posts: 3,496
    edited November -1
    [8D]--Yo Capt.-check out the 06/07 nissan Xterra-then query me-has to be the OFF-ROAD edition 6spd manual-[:o)][:o)]--JIMBO
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    2006 Rubicon Last real jeep for now- 2007 Rubicon yuppie 4X4 jeep on my word.[:)]
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A torsioned testicle; as in "tourqued" in your topic title is a painful condition [:0][B)].

Most experts agree that a new vehicle is the best cure. [:D]
  • captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    FrancF: My Son Matt lives in Richfield, Utah...Just down the Road from Moab!...Son Mike Lives in Cottonwood, Arizona...Mike comes up to Richfield and Plays in the Rocks and likes to climb up that Big Honker of a Rock and turn around and drive back down....NOT ME....! I take the Jeep to the Ranch in Fort Garland, Colorado and just driving around the Ranch is enough for Me...!More I think of it...the more I think I'll start looking for a One Ton, and put a Flat Bed on it.....I'm getting to dang Old for this kinda Recreational sport....Let the Boys drag Me around when I think I need to go 4 wheeling......Best.....Captain Kirk
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You know, there is a certain beauty to this situation, your truck is almost completely rebuilt.[;)] I have an 85' suburban that I use for hunting/shooting. She has an older, rebuilt 350cid engine and was given to me if I hauled it away (it started right up and finally went into 1st geat, so I drove it to the shop that way). I payed to rebuild the tranny (wicked 350 turbo), ran headers and 2 1/2" duals all the way out, replaced all shocks, steering stabilizer, ball joints, tie rods, and drag links. The truck runs down the road like a dream, even if it is rusted through my body work and wearing camo paint.

Bottom line, sounds to me like you are into this rig for some cash[?] so the best advice I have, is to keep it and make it pay itself off.[8] My hunting rig has payed itself over multiple times, and I love it just for that reason.[8D]
    edited November -1
    You guys are probably right about putting it into the Shop and finding out whats wrong with it....Might be that I'm just getting paranoid and the noise is between My ears and I'm the only one hearing it...I suppose I could Jackup the Frontend and spin the wheels...Hate to lay in the Rocks.....Take a Six-Pack and a Pillow and make Mama Think I'm working on it....It only shows 79K on the odometer...I use synthetic Oil and Lube it every 3500 miles...New Antifreeze every Spring along with New Hoses...Its never left Me sitting along side the Road....just the Nit Picking two bits here and two bits there wearing Me down....Think I'll go to bed and read a book...........Best......
  • ace22ace22 Member Posts: 544 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    J just
    E empty
    E every
    P pocket
  • abcguns2abcguns2 Member Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well , lets see , new motor,tires,brakes,top ect.ect. oops could have bought a different vehicle for that $$$ , I had a 'jeep' a few years back , same deal , was like having a car payment each month just keeping it going ...Then i found out that "jeep" is swaheelee for "TURD"........

Thanks !!!
    d.a.stearns
    Gunsmith / LEO
    Niota , Tn
  • Red223Red223 Member Posts: 7,946
    edited November -1
    New brake shoes/pads......$100. <plus turning Rotors and or drums>
    New Clutch w/ throughout bearing....$150.<91/92 & 93 has a One of a kind Hydraulic resavoir and Throwout Bearing..all made into One..Just that piece or Modern engineering cost over a $100.00...and then the whole Transmission and Transfer Case has to come out to replace it...> Pressure plate hardly ever goes bad...why was it replaced?< Cheaper to replace then to reface..Hydraulic Fluid saturated everything from the Flywheel back...and felt better knowing that the problem was fixed>
    Windshield....$125.<Plus a New Gasket...About a I and a 1/2 C-Note>
    New Engine? What engine does it have? <Belchfire 4...or known as the 2.5....Fuel Injected...Had a Cracked Ring in Number 3...Cost Me $1500.00 to rebuild> The 4.0 is BULLET PROOF.

My wife drove her Jeep until the engine seized. You see women can't see those dash warning lights and she ran it out of coolant after an old hose broke....< No Lights...Got Guages...>

After it cooled down it started and she drove it home 5+ miles without coolant.

I tore off the head and there was a deep gouge in one of the cylinder walls. I honed the cylinders, replaced the headgasket/water pump/hoses/ radiator and put Slick 50 in it.

It ran better than before and would rip loose 33" Mickey Thompsons. We sold it because I thought it would die soon for $7,000.

It is still running.

Look for a different mechanic to work on your jeep.<I've had several differant Mechanic's work on it...so its not a case of supporting a local Wrench Turner>
    I just about have Myself convinced to start looking for a 3/4 Ton Pickup or a One Ton Flat Bed....
  • JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Click and Clack, the Tappet Brothers, would probably tell you to turn up the radio so you don't hear the noise. Now that you have everything fixed, It shouldn`t be hard to sell. [:D]
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
    edited November -1
    Crawled under the Beast....Spun the Wheels...and can't tell if theres any Noise or Not when everything is Turning around...To much Aircraft Noise with all the jets flying over and being Deaf in one ear and hardly able to hear out the other......Drat....