In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Back From Range

n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
edited January 2007 in General Discussion
Spent the day and was a good day all around except for one incident. Shot a few rounds of trap and then went to the rifle range to shoot the new Ruger 77 .223 Bench rifle, WOW what a tack driver. Another member asked if I wanted to go shoot some 5 Stand , hey what the heck, why not. Went to the 5 stand range where 6 of our friends were shooting 5 stand and joined in. Danged if I didnt run 25 straight and then the incident happened. They grabbed my range officers hat, threw it in the air and shot big holes in it (they do that when a shooter gets his first 25 straight at 5 Stand). I only wish they had taken it off my head first..[:0][:0][:o)][:o)][:o)][:o)]

Seriously, fine day at the range. Wish you could have been there.[:D]

Comments

• soopsoop Member Posts: 4,633
    edited November -1
    Sounds like you had a great day. It rained most of the day here.didn`t do much more than slit a little wood for the fireplace for tonight.Happy New Year to you and Beth.
  • spryorspryor Member Posts: 9,155
    edited November -1
    Congrats on the 25!! Your story reminded me of a shotgunning one day
    with a couple locals: one of them said to the other "if I throw my
    hat up and let you shoot at it, will you do the same?". The guy that
    asked was the last to shoot, and guess ya'll know what happened.
    He waited til the guys cap landed praticaly at his feet, and blew it to pieces.[:D]
  • hotshoothotshoot Member Posts: 4,227
    edited November -1
    the outdoor range close by is closed for the winter [:(] but it give my time to save/stock up on ammo
  • RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,636 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What grain bullet were you shooting out of the Ruger?
    I have a Ruger M77 MKII .223 also and found there is a big difference between 40gr and 50gr.
    I could place a quarter over the 40gr shots.
    spn05j5e04xq.gif

Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I shot 40 grain hornady backed up with 21.3 grains of 4198 IMR. Somewhere around 3100 FPS. Got another load I am going to try out thursday night. The 35 Grain V-max and maybe a couple 50 grainers.When I find the one I like best that is what I will stick with. We only have the 200 yard range to work with.
  • RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,636 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Right now my club only has a 100 yard range and you have to shoot through the parking lot for that.
    I kid you not.
    Let me know if you work up a highly accurate load.
    I don't think you are going to do it with any bullet 50 grains or above though.
    spn05j5e04xq.gif

Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
    edited November -1
    I have 50 , 35 V max, 40 Hornady 45, soft point, and some 42 grain cast,and some 35 grain soft points So far my best performer has been the 35 V max, and then the 35 soft points. I just wanted to try a little heavier bullet at the 200 yds.
  • chuckchuck Member Posts: 4,911
    edited November -1
    Big C, I almost had a coranary when you said they shot your hat with you in it,[:0] I was ready to come to florida and save B.R. and bring her back to Oregon FOR ME.[:D][:D][^]
    edited November -1
    Just a little brevity there Chuck. Of course some of the guys I shoot with are NUTZ:
  • chuckchuck Member Posts: 4,911
    edited November -1
    Just in case it ever happens tell B.R to have her bags packed, and not the ones under her eyes[;)][;)][}:)][:p][:p][:D]