In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

You people with Dick's at hand, please tell me...

RamtinxxlRamtinxxl Member Posts: 9,480
edited August 2008 in General Discussion
...what do you think of the sporting goods store by that name? I see they're erecting one here in the area and I wondered if I should get aroused by that fact.

Do they stock ammo? Guns? Are their prices worth a glance? How about specials? Give me the skinny, if you please.

Comments

• brickmaster1248brickmaster1248 Member Posts: 3,344
    edited November -1
    They do occasionally have very good buys on ammo.
  • dongizmodongizmo Member Posts: 14,477 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    BIL Works there, I have not see any "deals" yet...
    Don
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.
  • AzhunterAzhunter Member Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Someone here said they treat ther'e employees like dirt....[:0]
  • slipgateslipgate Member Posts: 12,741
    edited November -1
    This entire post is a freudian slip!
  • Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    I "head" there every chance I get [:D]
  • Gregor62Gregor62 Member Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    'Round here Dick's is nuthin' special!
  • LOKO383LOKO383 Member Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    no deals at the one in Huntington WVA..above average prices..[V]..Loko
  • PTHEIMPTHEIM Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    Check out ...

www.dickssportinggoods.com

see what their ad is like this week at the store nearest you.
    edited November -1
    Their motto is:

"If you think you can find it cheaper - you don't know Dick"
  • Jacob2008Jacob2008 Member Posts: 19,528 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oh yeah, I hear dicks is a real blast to the past, you can get excited in there and spend everything you got...
  • bigcitybillbigcitybill Member Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I heard they have wiffle balls.
  • LOKO383LOKO383 Member Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Spider7115
    Their motto is:

copy cat..[:X][:D]..Loko

http://www.dirtydickscrabs.com/
  • fishmastyfishmasty Member Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We used to have a Galyans in Marietta Ga. Pretty good deals nice knowledgable people. econimical fishing lures rods reels, etc.

[xx(] And then dicks took it over, no more sales/specials anything, they do not even carry reloading supplies.

Wal-Mart is better than Dicks,... (IMHO)[:(]
  • JorgeJorge Member Posts: 10,656 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ramtinxxl

I see they're erecting one here in the area and I wondered if I should get aroused by that fact.

"Dick's at hand..."

This is one misleading thread.

[:(!]
  • hotshoothotshoot Member Posts: 4,227
    edited November -1
    ammo prices are higher than my local mom/pop gun store.........
  • Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One just opened here recently, along with a Gander Mountain,.......not impressed with either.
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • 204targetman204targetman Member Posts: 3,493
    edited November -1
    They are a nice place to go look around. Carry some things I cant get locally. But nothing to jump up and down about. Nearest one to me is about 80 miles..
  • MEMPHISJOEMEMPHISJOE Member Posts: 185 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Memphis TN, ours is located next to costco, the difference is huge, Costco low price, Dicks high price. Poor selection of rifles, and scopes. above average to high on ammo,
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by LOKO383
    quote:Originally posted by Spider7115
    Their motto is:

copy cat..[:X][:D]..Loko

http://www.dirtydickscrabs.com/

I'm from Virginia Beach. I've been there and to the ones on the Outer Banks!

dick-animated.gif
  • youngsparkeyyoungsparkey Member Posts: 398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The ones around here seem to deal more with the sports and clothing than hunting and fishing.
  • 1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    ...what do you think of the sporting goods store by that name? I see they're erecting one here in the area and I wondered if I should get aroused by that fact.

Do they stock ammo? Guns? Are their prices worth a glance? How about specials? Give me the skinny, if you please.

slow down there cowboy don't be going off half cocked prematurely they don't even have it up yet
  • 204targetman204targetman Member Posts: 3,493
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 1911a1fan

slow down there cowboy don't be going off half cocked prematurely they don't even have it up yet

[:D][:D][:D][:D]
  • MgderfMgderf Member Posts: 907 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I got a really good deal a couple of years ago at our local "Dick's" on a Rossi tri-fecta , and occasionally ammo.
    When Sportsman's Warehouse came to town, I forgot about Dick's.
    Dick's does still carry both firearms (long guns), archery, muzzle-loaders and a fair ammo selection. Sportsman's Warehouse has better prices and selections.

NRA Patron Life Member
    Dormant U.S. Marine
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,527 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishmasty
    We used to have a Galyans in Marietta Ga. Pretty good deals nice knowledgable people. econimical fishing lures rods reels, etc.

[xx(] And then dicks took it over, no more sales/specials anything, they do not even carry reloading supplies.

Wal-Mart is better than Dicks,... (IMHO)[:(]

Same way here in IL. The employees working at Galyans knew their stuff. Dicks employees don't know dick.

They got ammo and the boring rifles and shotguns. No real deals unless you need a plain jane 870.
  • William81William81 Member Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Every gun I ever considered buying there, I found cheaper somewhere else. I have picked up a few decent buys on ammo. Mostly I buy fishing lures and track shoes for my sons there.
  • tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    Pretty much everywhere you go you will find Dicks.

But he is too good to carry handguns. Guess he thinks that if a average citizen purchased one, it might turn the citizen into a murderous thug.
  • skeens41skeens41 Member Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the ones in ohio does not carry handguns either[:(!] and i noticed when the ammo they have is on sale, i can usually get it cheaper somewhere else
  • WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,814 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Cabella's thats closer, so I can't say I have spent much time there.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by slipgate
    This entire post is a freudian slip!

+1[:D]
  • thebigsdthebigsd Member Posts: 50 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Their guns are typically overpriced and the staff isn't very helpful. I'd recommend Gander Mountain if you have one in your area.
  • oldemagicsoldemagics Member Posts: 5,821 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    here it is a botique (sp?) with a few p.c. guns and some ammo in one corner[xx(]
  • dipitsdipits Member Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    O K if no one else is close by .
  • kiwibird1kiwibird1 Member Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are a lot of Dick's around here. I don't realy like Dick's though.
  • MFIMFI Member Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My best friend is the regional manager for the Dick's chain for the whole northeast mainly hubbed in Pittsburgh. They are a yuppie based store selling mostly Under Armour and golf stuff. Guns and ammo are overpriced but they will run an occasional "sale" or special . Nothing to get overly excited about !!
  • Dakota308Dakota308 Member Posts: 4,162
    edited November -1
    i work at one.

mostly here in N.KY its more of an athletic clothing store[V] but do have good deals occasionaly. as far as guns go pretty much MSRP or maybe under and they finally started selling Remingtons AR hunting platform. the most assult weapon they sell.

overall not bad but its no bass pro
  • RamtinxxlRamtinxxl Member Posts: 9,480
    edited November -1
    Well, y'all have to know this. We've had Academy stores for years (pretty decent prices on ammo, ordinary guns, etc.) Cabela's opened just down the road over a year ago. Bass Pro kicked in closer earlier this year. Now Dick's has come up in the vicinity. We've got some suitable "mom & pop" and pawn shops close by so it's not like we're hurting for choices. The only Gander Mtn. I've been inside is in Houston and I was NOT IMPRESSED. Reckon I'll keep dealing at the local pawn shops, through GB, and counting on those serendipity finds at the others now and then. Heck, with the price of gas AND everything else, I ain't doing a lot of looking just now.
  • godalejrgodalejr Member Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    soccer stuff for the kids occasional good prices on clothing.the gander mountain i have stinks too,if i were buying a gun i would go the 30 minute drive to our local gun store.they are high but at least they know their stuff.
  • PanzerSlayer2PanzerSlayer2 Member Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I mostly go to Dicks for sporting attire like jerseys and hats. I don't go there for gun related stuff except around hunting season and Xmas when they have some great coupons.
  • MFIMFI Member Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The original DICK'S was first started here in my home city of Binghamton, NY around 1961.. It was originally a mom and pop store .. they opened a "bigger" Dicks in Vestal, NY just a few miles from the original Dick's in the early 90's I believe .the Vestal one was the stepping stone to the chain stores you see now.. I believe they bought up Sports Authority and one other store and then completely expanded all around the country a little at a time. Pittsburgh is the Northeast headquarters for Dick's now where my best friend lives and is regional manager for all of the Northeast quandrant..The original Dick's and Vestal Dicks used to sell handguns until some of the handguns started to "disappear" without paperwork .. After a ATF check the braintrust at Dick's decided to NOT sell them anymore ..