In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

different LEO attitude

iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
edited August 2008 in General Discussion
saw a LEO do something different today...

I work at a college. Pulled in to park today, there is a sherrif's deputy (I asked... hes actually a detective) taking his pistol off his belt (not in uniform, but did have a "company" polo on w/ slacks and was openly carrying w/ badge right next to gun) and leaving it in his car (lock box welded into trunk).

I asked why he wasn't gonna carry on the campus (he was in a training class all day), he said that if I as a citizen/student/employee/whatever couldn't carry on campus, he felt weird about carrying on campus. [:0]

Thought it was awful cool of him to have that kind of attitude.

Comments

• RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,636 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So who is going to protect you if a Whacko starts shooting?
    spn05j5e04xq.gif

Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
  • pipe7pipe7 Member Posts: 911 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well if he decided not to carry on campus for that reason then hey what ever floats his boat. However to stand out in public take off his gun, put it in the trunk and still wear clothing that identifies him as a law enforcement officer, well thats not too smart.[8D]
  • Gregor62Gregor62 Member Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't agree with his decision. Slipping in unarmed to "appease the crowd", is a typical liberal approach. No matter the environment, he should still remain armed. Gun free zones need any possible edge that can/could be provided.
  • CA sucksCA sucks Member Posts: 4,310
    edited November -1
    Eh, I see it as more of a show of solidarity. I think, particularly relating to guns, cops and citizens should have the same rights.

A cop that seems to realize that if the populace has no rights to guns, he shouldn't either, is ok in my book.

Of course I'd prefer it the other way around, where both are armed.

Realistically, all he is doing is making a statement, until cho or whatever that shlit bag's name was, colleges were pretty safe places - lacking established poverty that seems to spawn crime.

I also hear stats about how a cop is more likely to be shot with his own weapon - and on a college campus, he's probably just dealling with drunkards and stoners, who may be dumb and get in a fist fight, but you don't want a gun in that mix, and a taser is just fine.
  • Gregor62Gregor62 Member Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CA sucks
    Eh, I see it as more of a show of solidarity. I think, particularly relating to guns, cops and citizens should have the same rights.

A cop that seems to realize that if the populace has no rights to guns, he shouldn't either, is ok in my book.

Realistically, all he is doing is making a statement, until cho or whatever that shlit bag's name was, colleges were pretty safe places - lacking established poverty that seems to spawn crime.

I also hear stats about how a cop is more likely to be shot with his own weapon - and on a college campus, he's probably just dealling with drunkards and stoners, who may be dumb and get in a fist fight, but you don't want a gun in that mix, and a taser is just fine.

That is collectively the point. Predicting the future is impossible. Assuming that he would be dealing with drunkards/stoners changes the decision in what way?

Life threatening situations rarely advertise themselves.
  • DBMJR1DBMJR1 Member Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What he didn't tell you is ; He had a .380 strapped to his left ankle, and a .22 mouse gun strapped to the right.
  • tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1

In red above. Making a statement that few will ever notice or hear or know about. While I have some appreciation for his attitude, consider this. By voluntarily leaving his handgun in his vehicle, he is making a "prediction" that he won't need his handgun gun for the next few hours or so. My question is if he is so good and accurate about making such predictions, why does he not put his "skill" to better use and predict the future for all of us?

In addition, and this applies to the "no firearms" signs in store windows which forces lawful, peaceful CCW holders to leave their firearms in their vehicle, wouldn't it be the supreme irony if somehow some violent criminal got their hands on the firearm that was left in the vehicle of the owner and that violent criminal shot and killed some innocent person known and loved by the left behind firearm's owner?

If someone has a right to carry, then they should carry unless they decide to leave the gun at home. Because if anyone/everyone could predict when they would actually need their firearm, wouldn't everyone just stay home that day? Otherwise, the whole thing sounds like leftist thinking to me.
  • MEMPHISJOEMEMPHISJOE Member Posts: 185 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tr fox

In red above. Making a statement that few will ever notice or hear or know about. While I have some appreciation for his attitude, consider this. By voluntarily leaving his handgun in his vehicle, he is making a "prediction" that he won't need his handgun gun for the next few hours or so. My question is if he is so good and accurate about making such predictions, why does he not put his "skill" to better use and predict the future for all of us?

In addition, and this applies to the "no firearms" signs in store windows which forces lawful, peaceful CCW holders to leave their firearms in their vehicle, wouldn't it be the supreme irony if somehow some violent criminal got their hands on the firearm that was left in the vehicle of the owner and that violent criminal shot and killed some innocent person known and loved by the left behind firearm's owner?

If someone has a right to carry, then they should carry unless they decide to leave the gun at home. Because if anyone/everyone could predict when they would actually need their firearm, wouldn't everyone just stay home that day? Otherwise, the whole thing sounds like leftist thinking to me.
    WELL PUT, WELL THOUGHT OUT.
  • TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    I also hear stats about how a cop is more likely to be shot with his own weapon...That's often heard, but actually a myth. It might've been true at some point in time, but you'd have to go back decades.

Same with the 'fact' that more cops are killed on family disturbance calls than any other type. This hasn't been true for many years but it's often heard stated. National stats show the leading circumstances where cops are killed by assaults nowadays are arrest situations (robbery arrests lead this pack), ambush situations and 'unprovoked attacks'. Family disturbance related deaths are down in the single digit percentages.

As for that cop in the original post - Anyone who's allowed to carry a firearm into a public venue that's designated a 'gun free zone' but chooses not to is an idiot.
  • nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 35,988 ******
    edited November -1
    I might not call him an idiot, but he surely hasn't thought it through and considered the possibilities.
  • Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Txs
    I also hear stats about how a cop is more likely to be shot with his own weapon...That's often heard, but actually a myth. It might've been true at some point in time, but you'd have to go back decades.

Same with the 'fact' that more cops are killed on family disturbance calls than any other type. This hasn't been true for many years but it's often heard stated. National stats show the leading circumstances where cops are killed by assaults nowadays are arrest situations (robbery arrests lead this pack), ambush situations and 'unprovoked attacks'. Family disturbance related deaths are down in the single digit percentages.

As for that cop in the original post - Anyone who's allowed to carry a firearm into a public venue that's designated a 'gun free zone' but chooses not to is an idiot.

I would add serving warrants as one of the top danger areas for Police officers.
  • iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    To be fair to him, he was here for an all day class with about 30 other sherrifs deputies and city police officers who were all armed...
  • TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Spider7115
    I would add serving warrants as one of the top danger areas for Police officers.That's a subset of this 'arrest situation' category.
  • 96harley96harley Member Posts: 3,992 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mine is with me anytime I have something that ID's me as a cop. Our dept regs state that you will carry at all times along with police ID. Granted that is sometimes hard to do but I figure if I get out to raid the donut shop off duty wearing a tank top and shorts, It is safe in the car but I don't make a public statement about it.
  • Jim RauJim Rau Member Posts: 3,550
    edited November -1
    What pipe7 and nunn said!!![V]
    I might add "Stupid is as stupid as does".[;)]
  • bhale187bhale187 Member Posts: 7,798
    edited November -1
    I can appreciate his attitude as a peace officer, but his idealism could cost someone their life.