In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Computer guys, I need some help

JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
edited July 2008 in General Discussion
My HP PSC 1610 All-in-One Printer-Scanner-Copier bit the dust last night. Today I went to Wal-Mart and got a HP Photosmart C4440 All-in-One Printer-Scanner-Copier. It appears to have installed OK, but it did take about an hour and a half. It printed the test page OK. When I try to print a document I get "Out of Memory".

The old printer ran for years on half a gigabyte of memory. I didn't see any difference when I added another half gigabyte. Now this one won't work with one gigabyte.

Any suggestions?
The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.

Comments

• romeo20808romeo20808 Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Uninstall and then reinstall the printer software that usually does it
  • 1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    it's not your gig thats in question, the printer has its own memory, your problem may be in the settings, make sure you have it set to print directly, and not to spool
  • peabopeabo Member Posts: 3,098
    edited November -1
    It should not have taken that long to install the new printer.
    Did you run the installation disc before pluging in the printer?
    Did you print the test page using the buttons on the printer, or through the computer?
    Disconnect the printer from the computer.
    My only suggestion would be to go into control panel, printers and faxes, and see if the new printer is listed there, and delete them (the old and the new printer). Then run the install disc again. Like I said, it should not take 1 1/2 hrs to install. When prompted to do so, connect the printer, and not before.

My only suggestion.

Thanks---Peabo
  • JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This just got a little stranger. I hit print with the GunBroker page open and it printed the webpage. So then I tried it with a Microsoft Works 2000 Word Processor page and it printed it. Then I tried it with a Microsoft Works 2000 Spreadsheet and got "out of memory". I made a spreadsheet with nothing but words (no calculations) and still got "out of memory". It looks like it will print anything but a spreadsheet.
  • romeo20808romeo20808 Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    yeah always install the software first and wait until it asks you especially with windows xp it is buggy like that and hp printer software is a joke for the most part. I own a computer service company and I hate installing hp printers. They outlast most printers but the software is way below par
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by peabo
    It should not have taken that long to install the new printer.
    Did you run the installation disc before pluging in the printer?
    Did you print the test page using the buttons on the printer, or through the computer?
    Disconnect the printer from the computer.
    My only suggestion would be to go into control panel, printers and faxes, and see if the new printer is listed there, and delete them (the old and the new printer). Then run the install disc again. Like I said, it should not take 1 1/2 hrs to install. When prompted to do so, connect the printer, and not before.

My only suggestion.

Thanks---Peabo

It didn't come with installation instructions, so I fired that boy up before I used the disk.

I think I'll advance to GO with Ghost and try to reinstall. Is there anything else I should know before I do the next install?
    edited November -1
    I suspect I bought a printer which somebody else took back to Wal-Mart. That's not necessarily bad, but the reason I suspect I'm not the first owner is there was no packing material in the box. The power supply cord was loose and the black tie was loose in the box. The ink cartridges had been installed in the printer and the cartridge box was wadded up and thrown in the box. It didn't come with a USB cable, but I think that's normal for HP.
  • peabopeabo Member Posts: 3,098
    edited November -1
    Mine came with the USB cable.
    You may have gotten a bad one that someone else brought back for the same reason. I would take it back to Wal-Mart and tell them that it had been used before and get a new one. Check to make sure that it is a new one before leaving. There should have been installation instructions in the box. It would be a folded up sheet and in about 50 different languages.

Thanks---Peabo
    edited November -1
    You talked me right into it Peabo. When I get back I'll do a Ghost and start over, so if you guys never hear from me again you'll know what happened.

I'm going in. [:D]
  • awindsawinds Member Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    WalMart ??[xx(]
    You have my sympathys.