In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Nissan Xterra

JWolfJWolf Member Posts: 1,901
edited July 2006 in General Discussion
Who has one what are they like and what kind of engine life (in miles) can be expected? Looked at one today a 2000 model with 70K miles on it, it was very clean price was $13,500

Comments

• SilentKnightSilentKnight Member Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ive seen them as low as 9,000-10,000 for 2002-2003 with about 80-90k.
  • jimbowbyjimbowby Member Posts: 3,496
    edited November -1
    [8D]--Well jwolf- thats a 1st gen Xterra (2000-2004), they're OK, but that was really their first year-they have torsion bars and leaf springs an auto or 5spd manual, No power, lousy mileage (12/13) a 3.3 liter v6 dual lever t-case, or 2wd. their looks were great, but----1st year. The 2nd gen 05/06 has 4.0 liter 265 horse dual ovhd cam v6 auto/6spd electric t-case engage e-lock rear end in 4lo 0nly-on demand-stock 31 in radials (265/75/16) alloy wheels a 21.5 gal tank 18/23 mpg and to many electric additions for me to list--a little on the expensive side for 06/07 $28,000+ check em out before you say NO FREE test drive---[:D][:D]--JIMBO
  • hughbetchahughbetcha Member Posts: 7,801 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know two people who own Xterras. Both complain that they get terrible gas milage compared to similar sized SUVs.
  • KSUmarksmanKSUmarksman Member Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    college friend has one (forget what year); catalytic converter died on her; expensive repair bill. Otherwise I don't know much about them
  • gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    I had a 2000 Frontier 4X4. Same power train as the Xterra. I sold mine with 120K miles on it for 10K and it was still running strong. Check our Edmunds.com for used vehicle history and reports. [8D]
  • AlbertLumAlbertLum Member Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i want to get one in 4x4.
  • boogerbooger Member Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My wife has an 2001 2WD, 5 speed. The gas mileage is about 15mpg, nothing to brag about. However, it's been trouble free. Nice to drive and comfortable.

As I understand it, from the Xterra forums, the automatic get's better mileage than the stick due to final overdrive being higher than the manual 5 speed. Until you get the newer models with a manual 6 speed.

And to your question, the vehicle has 71,000 miles. I paid $11,500 for her's a year ago, so 13K for a 2000 seems high to me.
  • bartobarto Member Posts: 4,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My work truck is a 2000 Frontier 4wd flatbed with tool boxes on it.
    I'm getting 18-20 mpg average (v/6 with auto trans).
    I'm quite satisfied with it as a work truck, but it sure ain't no Toyota.
    [8D]barto[8D]
  • JWolfJWolf Member Posts: 1,901
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys that helped alot.
  • dogtown tomdogtown tom Member Posts: 170 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have 90,000 miles on my 2001. Hands down the best vehicle I've owned.

MPG averages 16 city/hwy

Had to replace all four power window regulators (under warranty)

I'd buy another X but Nissan screwed with the design and made the fenders/wheel wells look bloated.
  • LowriderLowrider Member Posts: 6,587
    edited November -1
    Keep your Jappers. [xx(]
  • jimbowbyjimbowby Member Posts: 3,496
    edited November -1
    [8D]--Yea dogtown I feel the same way. I had just bought a 2ooo Ford Ranger when I first saw the new (then) xterra-so I waited untill Dec of last year and bought the '06 off road/6spd man.Best 4wd I've ever had. It's based on the Nissan TITAN platform and is pretty solid++the engine MAMAMIA--[:p][:p]--JIMBO
  • bondaibondai Member Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Lowrider
    Keep your Jappers. [xx(]

I will never buy another American made car.....I have an X-Terra....it is oustanding.I have never had a problem with it.
  • buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,235 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a 99 Frontier 4 cylinder with 326,000 miles.It runs fine and have had no problems with it.