In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

CVT[variable transmissions]

cahascahas Member Posts: 4,064
edited September 2013 in General Discussion

Comments

• shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It takes some getting used too, it kind of feels like the transmission is slipping as you accelerate because you don't feel the shifting you feel in a typical automatic.
  • cahascahas Member Posts: 4,064
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by us55840

That is just a more complex setup of the same variable drive system used on the IHC 122C combine sold in the late 40's.

Also had one on a small B&S motor once.

Both worked fine. [:)]

Yes, they have been around, Daimler Benz had a patent in 1886.
    I was kind of thinking more recent, say within the decade[;)]
  • bartman45bartman45 Member Posts: 3,008 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bought a new Rogue last year with the cvt, and it works great. Has no noticeable shifting, just seamless acceleration.
  • WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,814 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Honda tried this 10 years ago with the DN-01 motorcycle. I've never ridden one but it did not sell well and is mostly regarded as a failure.

null_zps3d656813.jpg
  • jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,583 ******
    edited November -1
    The Ford cvt in the 500 model is NON-SERVICEABLE.
    Pull it out and install a new one for $4000.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    MOST UTV's like gators ETC use them work great The good thing is as the load increasses the driving pully is forced open this results in a higher gear reduction and allows a small motor to keep from stalling out. I have a John Deere AMT600 8hp engine and darn near impossible to stall out from heavy 1500 pound load. Of course you cant really transfer 400 + horsepower From a HEMI[:I] WITH ONE
  • CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Dave W.
    Honda tried this 10 years ago with the DN-01 motorcycle. I've never ridden one but it did not sell well and is mostly regarded as a failure.

null_zps3d656813.jpg

I had a Honda moped when I was in 8th grade that had a CVT it worked fine.

(I saved enough on my paper route after 2 yrs to get it)
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wife's 2007 Honda Civic Hybrid has a CVT, & I believe Honda now uses it in other models. Actually seems to work well.

But, the other car in the same class is the Prius, which was first & is still the best mileage hybrid.

Nissan makes good cars, but have lagged way behind Toyota & Honda with hybrids & CVTs.

Neal
  • savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here is the letter my brother got from Nissan where they extended the warranty
    Dear Nissan Owner:

On behalf of everyone at Nissan, we would like to thank you for choosing to drive a Nissan. One of the many technologically-advanced features of your vehicle is the Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT), an innovative transmission that offers smooth, seamless shifting, while tailoring the vehicle's output to your driving style.

While Nissan is proud to offer this technology on many of our models, a small percentage of owners of early models equipped with CVTs have expressed concerns about the cost of repair of their transmissions after the warranty expires. We take these comments about the cost of vehicle ownership seriously. We strive to provide an exceptional ownership experience and are implementing a thorough Customer Satisfaction Program to address this topic.

First, to provide you with additional assurance regarding your overall cost of ownership we have doubled the warranty period for the Continuously Variable Transmission in your Nissan. The existing powertrain warranty coverage of 5 years/60,000 miles will be extended at no cost to you, for CVT repairs, replacements or related towing, to 10 years/120,000 miles, whichever comes first.

This extension is effective immediately and requires no action on your part. The remainder of your powertrain warranty coverage for components other than the transmission remains unchanged, at 5 years/60,000 miles, and your basic warranty coverage also remains unchanged. All other warranty terms, limitations and conditions otherwise apply. This extended transmission warranty is also fully transferable to future owners of your vehicle.

Second, Nissan will reimburse customers who have previously paid to repair or replace their CVT, if the repairs would have been covered within the new extended warranty period. Even if you no longer own your Nissan we will reimburse you for past CVT repairs that would have been covered under this extension of the warranty.

Further, in the unlikely event that your vehicle's transmission should need repair beyond the extended warranty period we are working to decrease the cost of repair and have already reduced the Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price of a replacement CVT. In addition, we continuously strive to enhance our products, and have made ongoing improvements to our CVTs over the years.

Nissan is taking these actions to demonstrate our confidence in the CVT technology and to show our commitment to stand behind our products.

WHAT YOU SHOULD DO

If you have previously paid for repairs to your CVT within the time and mileage limits of this new extended warranty, we ask that you download the Reimbursement Claim Form and follow the instructions on the site. If you have additional questions, please contact the Nissan CVT Customer Assistance Center at 888-388-0318. Please be aware that the deadline for submitting the Reimbursement Claim Form is July 31, 2010.

The extended warranty coverage for CVT repair or replacement is effective immediately.

If you seek coverage for a repair under this extended warranty you will need to bring your vehicle to an authorized Nissan dealer. The factory-trained technical staff at the Nissan dealer will have the diagnostic tools and knowledge to provide you with the appropriate service and submit your warranty claim. If you have additional questions regarding this program, contact the Nissan CVT Customer Assistance Center at 888-388-0318 for assistance.

At Nissan we and our dealers work daily to deliver an outstanding ownership experience that will earn your confidence and trust. We are committed to doing the right thing for our customers and look forward to a long relationship that you find satisfying and rewarding. Thank you for choosing Nissan.

Sincerely,

Kevin Martin
    Vice President Total Customer Satisfaction
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Dang Savage 170's post makes it SEEM nissan is stepping up to the plate. [^]
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,527 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Had it in our 2006 Nissan Altima 2.5 S. We got 28mpg if I pushed it to 32mpg taking it easy in that car. For a 4 banger it moved out well and was fantastic on the hills and curves and highway.

Coming from Driving a V6 you'd never know the car had a 4. No problems with our Altima at all.
  • kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nissan does seem to have finally got the CVT working well..... Glad to see that letter.
  • savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The letter is pretty old I don't know what their current warranty is on them he had a 2004 Murano
  • KnifecollectorKnifecollector Member Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Yamaha Bruin 4 wheeler has one.
  • gjshawgjshaw Member Posts: 14,697 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Our Jeep Compass has one and its a 4X4. No problems at all with it and we have 70,000 miles on it. The wife drives it more than me and gets close to 30 mpg with it. Not bad for a 4X4. My Polaris ranger has a CVT in it as well and is flawless in performace.
  • mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    My Maxima had it and I loved it.....