In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

I got my * kicked ...

FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
edited September 2013 in General Discussion
Despite 30-45 minutes of cardio and 30 minutes of weight training 3-4 times a week and 10 miles of hiking per week. My hunting buddy and I scouted the Beartooth WMA on mountain bike (10 miles of uphill/downhill and rugged terrain), 'em legs and * are soar ... I'm reminded that I'm not as young as I used to be. Needless to say we called it quits by noon.

On horse back is the way to go!

ADDED: Mules too! [:p]

Comments

• RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by RobOz
    puzzy[:D]

I hear you! [:p]
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,309 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by FEENIX
    Of course it is. Plus, on horesback, you'll actually look like somebody from Montana instead of some gomer from Warshington.[;)]
  • 11BravoCrunchie11BravoCrunchie Member Posts: 33,423 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oh. I thought you had a visit from Dano.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Horse Plains Drifter
    quote:Originally posted by FEENIX
    Of course it is. Plus, on horesback, you'll actually look like somebody from Montana instead of some gomer from Warshington.[;)]

L[^]L! I have friend with horses that offered his services to help drag out elk out of there ... [:)]

We could have bagged a couple of black bears on our 1st mile, unfortunately fall season don't start back up until 15 Sep.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by forgemonkey
    All yer credibility just went out the door !!![:0]

Now, if'n you'd a mentioned 'Mules' yer good to go !!![:D]

I'll gladly saddle up on mules! [:D]
  • sgm hagsgm hag Member Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I assume the trip was to scout for game, right? Let me ask you this; consider the expense of the mountain bike and its fuel. Add to that the value of your gun(s). Plus the food, housing/motel/tents (whatever you plan to sleep in). Then include your vehicle cost, fuel & toll fees to get there. Now add in special hunting clothes, packs, boots and 2-ways along with hunting licenses (in and out of state) and appropriate tags. Total it all up and then, on the chance you actually take the game you'll be after, add the cost of processing & packaging for transport home. Now, divide that by what you estimate the weight of the game's meat might be. And, it's OK in this exercise to use a figure that would represent an monster trophy kill. For preplanning purposes, that final number is the cost, per pound, you'll be paying for the meat you'll be bringing home to provide for your family.

This senerio was given to me by my, now Ex, when a buddy & I were planning a simple duck hunt! Turned out the damn things were gonna cost me about $50 each! She suggested she pick up a dozen or so at a local butcher shop, bring them home and put them in our freezer. Then, whenever I wanted to invite some friends over for a big feast of duck, she would go out in the backyard real early that morning and set each duck on top of a fencepost. Then, I could go out there and shoot each one of them before she started cooking them.

As if that wasn't enough damage to my ego, she said she was gonna subtract the actual cost of the butcher ducks from the estimated cost on that little quiz she had me figure earlier. She was gonna whatever differance there was out of our account to buy this new sofa she had her eye on. She said I should still tell our friends that I shot them and she would swear to it! Wasn't she thoughtful? Anyway, the sofa was really comfortable....but, she took it with her![V]
  • MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    100+ on the mules.
  • BlackgunsBlackguns Member Posts: 496 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sgm hag
    I assume the trip was to scout for game, right? Let me ask you this; consider the expense of the mountain bike and its fuel. Add to that the value of your gun(s). Plus the food, housing/motel/tents (whatever you plan to sleep in). Then include your vehicle cost, fuel & toll fees to get there. Now add in special hunting clothes, packs, boots and 2-ways along with hunting licenses (in and out of state) and appropriate tags. Total it all up and then, on the chance you actually take the game you'll be after, add the cost of processing & packaging for transport home. Now, divide that by what you estimate the weight of the game's meat might be. And, it's OK in this exercise to use a figure that would represent an monster trophy kill. For preplanning purposes, that final number is the cost, per pound, you'll be paying for the meat you'll be bringing home to provide for your family.

This senerio was given to me by my, now Ex, when a buddy & I were planning a simple duck hunt! Turned out the damn things were gonna cost me about $50 each! She suggested she pick up a dozen or so at a local butcher shop, bring them home and put them in our freezer. Then, whenever I wanted to invite some friends over for a big feast of duck, she would go out in the backyard real early that morning and set each duck on top of a fencepost. Then, I could go out there and shoot each one of them before she started cooking them.

As if that wasn't enough damage to my ego, she said she was gonna subtract the actual cost of the butcher ducks from the estimated cost on that little quiz she had me figure earlier. She was gonna whatever differance there was out of our account to buy this new sofa she had her eye on. She said I should still tell our friends that I shot them and she would swear to it! Wasn't she thoughtful? Anyway, the sofa was really comfortable....but, she took it with her![V]

How should I calculate the cost of the memories with my friends and family into this equation?
    edited November -1

So sorry to hear your problem but not really sure why you're sharing it or even went there. I'm fully aware of all the expenses associated to all my activities. In fact, most of my harvests since my kids were out of the house are donated to the food bank or the mission. I also like taking Airmen (some are first time hunters) from my squadron out to hunts at my cost because I get the same joy and satisfaction as they do. This year a young 2LT is joining us in a group special draw hunt and all he has to do is show up. [^]

I've been married for 31 years now and don't share the same troubles as you do. My wife and I do lots of outdoor activities together, however, hunting is not one of them.

Again, sorry for your troubles!
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Blackguns

How should I calculate the cost of the memories with my friends and family into this equation?

You can't because they are simply "PRICELESS"! [^]
  • bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by RobOz
    puzzy[:D]

I understand the horses and mules.
    But most cats I've seen are too low to the ground. And your feet would drag.
  • Oso2142Oso2142 Member Posts: 2,940
    edited November -1

Hunters chase the high their brain gives them when they bag an animal. The ducks, for you, are a bit arbitrary. But, for some reason, folks don't take the time to think about why they do the things they do. Hell, there are plenty of idiots that believe in "selfless acts". [;)]

So, $50.00 per buzz, well, to me, that sounds like a good deal. [^]