In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Earthquake today

mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
edited December 2017 in General Discussion
So early this evening...

Mackenzie was at school in the dorm.

Makaila was still working a triple at the ER.

I was on the couch in the living room - the fire had mostly burned down but was still putting out heat and had a nice cherry red glow on the remnants...

I was reading since sleep was elusive and pain was bad - had turned off the light and put down the book and was trying to find some solace and peace concentrating on breathing and building a car in my mind (pain avoidance techniques)

And I hear the dog growling.

I sit up and the dog is out of his crate and kind of crouched down and is now whining with his hackles up...

The ferret dashes under the couch and is quite vocal chattering away...

The duck is now up and let's out a quack and soars across the room with wings flapping...

The hedgehog is burrowing into his towel in the corner of his crate...

Things were just wrong and I was still on autopilot - I grabbed my s&w 469 from the coffee table drawer and stood up.

The animals went a little nuts and had a mad minute - clock says 4:47pm

I mean WTH.

I thought we had a break in or a fire or something.

I checked the points of entry and hit the outdoor floodlights wall button but found nothing.

I went back to the couch and called to the critters and sat there trying to calm them down.

I let them all out into the back yard around 5 pm and went out onto the porch but nothing to see - the pets were acting oddly

Came back in and gave them treats and sent them into there crates and back to bed - put some scrap pine on the fire

Lay down and went back to pretending that the pain was not bad and closed my eyes for awhile.

Put on the evening TV local news at 6pm and they are reporting a 5.2 magnitude earthquake in my area.

Guess that the critters knew something was amiss but I felt and heard nothing.

We don't get many quakes in NJ

Thought I would relate the tale.

Mike

Comments

• brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,023 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Quake was at 4:47 PM not AM
  • mjrfd99mjrfd99 Member Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was sitting in the garage and thought it was a mini stroke.[8)]
    Decent shake over here by the beach.
  • wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thought fort dix was having some gun practice...
    "What is truth?'
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wpageabc
    Thought fort dix was having some gun practice...

My first thought too. Funny it didn't freak panic puppy like Dix does
  • mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry - did not catch it when posted

For unknown reason when I type "pm" on my phone the spellchecker changes it to "am"

If I do PM in caps it works fine but in lowercase it switches or auto-corrects to am

My sleep schedule is all messed up - I sleep in the after noon and am awake late at night and the animals tend to follow my pattern or schedule

I fixed it I think - thanks for catching that

Can you edit or fix or make changes to a spellchecker preference or predilection???

The old Samsung Galaxy never had this issue but the HTC626 spellchecker drives me nuts sometimes - it auto-corrects some weird ways that makes no sense

Mike
  • mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Never seen animals alert to a quake before...

Read about it but never witnessed in person.

Is the reaction response I saw normal???

Mike
  • OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Was sitting here with mom when it happened. The chandelier started to shake real good. Lasted for about 2 seconds. The house kinda rumbled. Never felt an earthquake, so we just wrote it off as something flying out of Fort Dix / Mcguire AFB. They always fly low over the house and shake the place once in a while.
    edited November -1
    Didn't freak panic puppy. Odd, Dix usually upsets her but nothing with this past rumble.
    She was home when lightening hit the house real bad. Hasn't liked BOOMS since.
    Some hunting dog huh?[8)]