In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Out of the blue

Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
edited October 2018 in General Discussion
Just got a text from someone who wants to know if I am the owner of [my address], and if I would be willing to sell.

I'm guessing this is a scam and am playing along. Everything I am saying is true... For the right price, I'm willing to sell anything I own.[:D]

I should note that my place is not listed as being for sale.
Some will die in hot pursuit
And fiery auto crashes
While sifting through my ashes
Some will fall in love with life
And drink it from a fountain
That is pouring like an avalanche
Coming down the mountain

Comments

• Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
    edited November -1
    Well they have already stopped texting me.
    After they asked how much I would want for it, I responded "you texted me about it, obviously you have a figure in mind".

Then they wanted to know if I had made any improvements. My reply to that was that they weren't serious and to let me know when they were.

Crickets ever since. So, I'm guessing they got tired of trying to pry information out of me.

Assuming this is even remotely legit, there is no way in hell I am starting off this sort of negotiation by throwing out the first number.
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have you paid your taxes on your house, I know a a guy that makes a good living contacting people that don't pay their taxes. He'll start contacting them as soon as their taxes are late by one day, even though the county won't sell it for a tax lien for 5 years. You would be surprised how many people will sell it way below appraisal as long as they get a few bucks in your pocket because they're afraid they're going to lose it on a tax sale...
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    to much info out there anyone can get ahold of without giving it to them.....
  • Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by remingtonoaks
    Have you paid your taxes on your house, I know a a guy that makes a good living contacting people that don't pay their taxes. He'll start contacting them as soon as their taxes are late by one day, even though the county won't sell it for a tax lien for 5 years. You would be surprised how many people will sell it way below appraisal as long as they get a few bucks in your pocket because they're afraid they're going to lose it on a tax sale...
    Yeah, it's all current.
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 20,979 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Should've told them about the sex swing that took down the ceiling from combination of termite damage and over capacity [:D].

Also how sucky is it that they can just text you? They could've at least called with that electronic speech.
  • toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like a good number to post on the stall wall at the local bar..."for a good time call"....
  • remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mr. Perfect
    quote:Originally posted by remingtonoaks
    Yeah, it's all current.

Good, but I would check to make sure that you County hasn't made a mistake and has you down as owing a little bit more. I know somebody from here had that happen to them not too long ago.They had paid the taxes, but then the bank notified them that they we're going to foreclose cuz they didn't pay the taxes...Whoever it was, even had a receipt proving that he had paid it.

Just remember computers do screw up too

After you check with the county to make sure, then I would ignore the text.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would have started at 12 million and been willing to dicker to half that.
  • fideaufideau Member Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I get letters every few weeks from people wanting to buy. It's fishing for the flippers that have been to one of these meetings where they buy a plan to buy and sell with no money. They are convinced it is a get rich quick plan. Most of them find out it ain't so easy.
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1