In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Gun safe

Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
edited December 2011 in General Discussion
I am looking for a gun safe. most of the 14 gun safes look big enough and i would like a fire proof safe but i only want to spend between 5-600 bucks. I have found some stack-ons but im concerned about their quality..liberty safes are nice but too expensive..any reccomendations? also where can i go to look/buy on-line? down here we got bass-pro and dicks sports and ive browesed cabelas as well any help is appreciated

SUBMARINE SAILOR,TRUCK DRIVER,RUSTY WALLACE FAN AND AS EVERYONE SO OFTEN POINTS OUT PISS POOR TYPIST e-mail alisonandwalt@charter.net

Comments

• Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi all. I am a new gun owner and need to buy a safe. I currently only have 2 guns, a handgun and a shotgun. I'll be getting a few more in the next year or so. I would like to keep the price under 800.00, delivered. I live in MD. Does anyone have any suggestions on something solid and reliable? Right now I'm thinking AMSEC safes look very good, Liberty looks good as well. I've read that Gardall and Sentry are basically trash, as well as Redhead at Bass Pro. Thanks for the help and advice!
    edited November -1
    I am looking at getting a new gun safe. I found a sentry 24 rifle safe for $850 out the door. What do you guys/gals recommend?
    edited November -1
    I live in Michigan and wonder if I let my Gun Safe in the Garage with no heat all winter will my firearms be ok with a good oil job on them?
    edited November -1
    Dunhams had gun safe on sale.
    American Eagle by Cannon Safe
    30"x60"x24" orig. 999.00 for 599.99
    Has the electronic lock.
    How good are these locks? Are they worry free? Anyone have trouble with them?
    Thanks for the help.

Jim
    edited November -1
    I have a very large AMSEC safe that I am interested in selling. Can I sell that here? It would have to be to someone local to me because it is bolted to concrete. Or, any advice on somewhere else that I can sell this? Any advice would be appreciated! Thank you.
    edited November -1
    Have a cannon safe turned it on left side to move heard clunk dial turns handle no move help!!!

K&J

Life is hard,even harder when you are stupid.
    edited November -1
    I saw this and thought that with a little interior changes it would make a excellent gun safe cheap. It weighs allmost 4000 lbs. and is made better than most standard gun safes. Its in fla. I have nothing to do with the aucton, I just saw it and thought if somebody was looking for the extreme gun safe, here it is.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180227797537
    edited November -1
    Who makes the most securest and the best fire tested safe?
    pentagone came in with good talk,but no good feed back on this forum. Liberty seems to have a good feed back on this forum.
    Thanks
    edited November -1
    What is the best method of keeping my Cannon gun safe as dry as possible ? A dehumidifier rod, silica gel canister, or both ? How about a 25w or 40w light fixture ?
    Thanks for any advice.
    Koolkoins
    edited November -1
    Anyplace running a good deal on gunsafes that you guys have seen?

I am looking for a larger safe for storage of mostly handguns, ammo, and accessories. Not a real small handgun specific safe, but something with a lot of shelves for handguns and "stuff" rather then room for mostly rifles. Something that maybe would hold a few rifles would be fine. Definitely not looking to break the bank.

The local Menard's store had a really nice $750 safe on sale for $350 on Black Friday. I don't do the whole crazy shopping thing, but I kind of wish I would have for that deal.

Jon
    edited November -1
    Well I've been looking and getting frustrated so I figure I would ask yall. I've been looking around for a decent yet cheap gun safe. I'm on a very limited budget right now (paying off a 1100) and want something under $200. I need a gunsafe that locks up nice that can hold atleast 6 rifles, and maybe a couple hanguns. Right now I've got my rifles on a rack and the handguns in cases in the closet and I need something more secure. I remember seeing snap-on gun safes at walmart for about $80 a while back, but don't see them anymore. I would like to be able to go pick it up since shipping on one of these would be ridiculously expensive. Ya'll got any ideas or should I just build a gun cabinet and put a pad lock on it like I was thinking?
    edited November -1
    What are some of your opions on the 2 safes that I'm trying to decide on, looking to hold valueables and 30 - 40 guns...

1. Pentagone Gun Safe

2. Fort knox

Now they tell me that fort knox gets their steel from china????
    not sure???

Any help would be greatly appeercieated...
    edited November -1
    I have been looking at 2 local stores that have the Stack-on 24 gun convertable safes for sale. One of the stores has their's on sale for $499 right now. It is the safe that holds 24 guns, 12 guns with the other half being shelves, or all shelves. It has an electric combination with key backup. If I can find a pic I will post it, but my questions is....Anybody know of somewhere online or close to Eau Claire, WI where I can get this cheaper shipped?

Here is a link to the safe I am looking at:

http://www.farmandfleet.com/products/680719-matte_black_24_gun_e_lock_safe.html

Otherwise, here is another I have been looking at:

http://www.menards.com/main/safes/pistols-up-to-14/stack-on-elite-executive-fire-safe-with-combination-lock/p-1720282-c-6979.htm

Jon
    edited November -1
    Zip-a-dee-do-da!

Just got a call from the installation folks! My new safe is on its way!

I had long outgrown my other one and was seriously risking a loss. This bad boy is pretty big. 42x27.5x72. Has the light kit dehumidifier bar, and the holster door set-up.

Now, I have a goal. Fill it up!!

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo

"I am what I am!" - Popeye
  • YUKONYUKON Member Posts: 717 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tractor Supply has 2 on sale only 1/2 hour fire but cheap prices depends on what you want

Jeff
  • JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by YUKON
    Tractor Supply has 2 on sale only 1/2 hour fire but cheap prices depends on what you want

Jeff

+1 They have a really nice safe for $549. I don't know if it is us made, but it has 5 locking bolts, 5 fixed rear bolts, and 1 upper and 1 lower locking bolts (which is excellent to have the verticle bolts. It's fire and water/smoke proof, digital lock. Dad and I are considering 3 of them, 2 for dad to replace his safes and I need to expand.
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    got a stack-on 16 gun digital lock from Atwoods in wichita for $250
  • austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,820 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by YUKON

Jeff
    They usually run gret deals on safes this time of year.
  • cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How big do you want and how much are you willing to spend?

CP
  • mossberg500manmossberg500man Member Posts: 833 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Sig220_Ruger77
    Anyplace running a good deal on gunsafes that you guys have seen?

I am looking for a larger safe for storage of mostly handguns, ammo, and accessories. Not a real small handgun specific safe, but something with a lot of shelves for handguns and "stuff" rather then room for mostly rifles. Something that maybe would hold a few rifles would be fine. Definitely not looking to break the bank.

The local Menard's store had a really nice $750 safe on sale for $350 on Black Friday. I don't do the whole crazy shopping thing, but I kind of wish I would have for that deal.

Jon
    was it one of those cannon 28 gun safes? i ended up getting one i love the thing...now to just get it into the basement[:(]
  • countryfarmercountryfarmer Member Posts: 4,552
    edited November -1
    Tractor Supply usually carries the Cannon brand safe and from what I've seen of them, they look good.
  • nutfinnnutfinn Member Posts: 12,804 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mark's outdoors here in Birmingham has great deal on Liberty safes [:)]
    edited November -1
    here is the one I would like to get:

http://www.tractorsupply.com/winchester-reg-gun-safe-24-gun-capacity-1043297

If it's made in us it's bargin for $700. $549 is better, but a little late now.
  • mango tangomango tango Member Posts: 3,833 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like the safes at Cabela's, they are built by Liberty, a very well known and quality made safe, and Made in the USA! I just bought the Woodsman48, nice!
  • pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Browning,but would like to get another with digital!
  • trc313trc313 Member Posts: 3,475
    edited November -1
    Gander mtn had several GREAT safe sales last weekend....not sure if that is still going on though
  • HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    Go to the biggest local Lock Shop - they usually have Used safes, all sizes and ratings....Cheaper way to go!

Just remember to change the combo, and Bolt it Down and Load it up ASAP. I keep several hundred pounds of Lead Ingots in the bottom.
  • danielgagedanielgage Member Posts: 10,472 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    my Cannon did not come from TSC but it has worked fine for me @10 years
    edited November -1
    My Bass Pro safe I bought in '04 has been flawless and frankly, I have been unable to find another safe built better than this one.

I am actually beginning to think it was built too good and they had to ton it down. I would pay good money if I found another like it.

I don't want to get rid of mine, but I want a digital lock and so far the lowest price for install of digital is $375. and if I can get a safe for $550 with the digital i am better off replacing or just adding a second unit.

EDIT: Forgot to add I would also like to have the water/smoke seal which was not available when I got my safe.
  • IdahoboundIdahobound Member Posts: 20,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JnRockwall
    My Bass Pro safe I bought in '04 has been flawless and frankly, I have been unable to find another safe built better than this one.

I am actually beginning to think it was built too good and they had to ton it down. I would pay good money if I found another like it.

I don't want to get rid of mine, but I want a digital lock and so far the lowest price for install of digital is $375. and if I can get a safe for $550 with the digital i am better off replacing or just adding a second unit.

Pull off the door panel inside the safe send me pic. I can send you a lock for 100 bucks and walk you thru the install. I have put 100s of digital looks in safes
  • ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,646 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    www.sturdysafe.com 100% made in the USA-lifetime warranty and their safes exceed UL ratings. Have had mine since '06 and been very pleased with it.
  • KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    Pay close attention to the ratings. Most manufacturers make a budget compromise line of products to appease the lower end market and box stores. Just because it has a "name" on it doesn't mean you can trust it....
  • md1634md1634 Member Posts: 644 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Watch the shipping costs. They can get expensive.