In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

M16 parts kit

SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
edited May 2012 in General Discussion
I picked up a parts kit for an m16 that has all the stuff for select fire except the extractor.
I thought the sear was the controlled part?
any ideas?

and yes, it's legal for me to own.

thanks

tom

Comments

• guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The extractor on an AR-15 type rifle is the same as the ones on the military M-16/M-4 family of rifles.
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tom, all M16 Fire Control Assembly parts are legal for anyone to own, according to ATF regulations.

The problem will be if you install one or more listed FCA parts in an AR-type rifle (M16 bolt carriers are now OK), AND the rifle can be made to fire > 1 round with a single trigger pull. THAT is why the fellas with the bulges in the cheap suits strongly recommend that you not install listed FCA parts in your AR-type.

The only "part" that requires registration is an auto-sear or DIAS.

Neal
  • cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The M16 receiver is the registered part.

CP
  • SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    this was a parts kit originally sold by sportsmans warehouse and advertised as "complete except extractor".
    was supposed to be from vietnam era surplus.
    can't figure out why the extractor is missing(?)

thanks
    tom
  • JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • realspeedrealspeed Member Posts: 6,335
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cpermd
    The M16 receiver is the registered part.

CP

the receivers are registered along with the sears, along with DIAS's along with lightning links.... there are alot of stuff that was registered.
  • armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,478 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just make sure you register to vote.[;)]
  • TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by realspeed
    the receivers are registered along with the sears, along with DIAS's along with lightning links.... there are alot of stuff that was registered.DIAS's, Lightning Links, etc. are parts which modify the function of a semiauto AR15 and make it capable of full-auto fire, not M16 parts of any sort.

As cpermd stated, an M16 sear requires no NFA registeration. The lower receiver is the only component of an M16-type that requires NFA registration, which is how these parts kits are legal to transfer without NFA paperwork.

Note that an M16 (full-auto) parts kit cannot be simply dropped into any AR-type (semiauto) lower receiver. It requires an M16-type receiver.

EDIT:
    quote:
    Originally posted by 1911a1fan

doesnt it just require a low shelf, and properly drilled hole?

Yes that's true, but without these features it's not an M16-type receiver and any receiver which has them is an NFA item.

Modifying an AR receiver so that it will accept these M16 parts will get you a trip to the federal penitentiary.
  • 1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Txs
    the receivers are registered along with the sears, along with DIAS's along with lightning links.... there are alot of stuff that was registered.DIAS's, Lightning Links, etc. are parts which modify the function of a semiauto AR15 and make it capable of full-auto fire, not M16 parts of any sort.

As cpermd stated, an M16 sear requires no NFA registeration. The lower receiver is the only component of an M16-type that requires NFA registration, which is how these parts kits are legal to transfer without NFA paperwork.

Note that an M16 (full-auto) parts kit cannot be simply dropped into any AR-type (semiauto) lower receiver. It requires an M16-type receiver.

• nutfinnnutfinn Member Posts: 12,804 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Yep, just the receiver, all the other parts can be own and bought, right here on GB auction site.

Like this here, you can see the sear [:0]

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=284621727
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Spartacus
    I picked up a parts kit for an m16 that has all the stuff for select fire except the extractor.
    I thought the sear was the controlled part?
    any ideas?

and yes, it's legal for me to own.

thanks

tom

Well thank you for buying it for me. I will send you my addy [:o)]
    edited November -1
    quote:Modifying an AR receiver so that it will accept these M16 parts will get you a trip to the federal penitentiary.

i thought just owning an ar15 lower and an M16 parts kit was illegal( intent)?

tom
    edited November -1
    txs

yes i know that, just pointing out the possibility of doing it, more and more manufacturers are marketing "low shelf" lowers

i have no desire to own anything to do with it
  • bama55bama55 Member Posts: 6,389 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nmyers

The problem will be if you install one or more listed FCA parts in an AR-type rifle (M16 bolt carriers are now OK)

Neal

Neal, do you have a link to the OK of using M16 carriers? I have heard this, but haven't seen ATF proof. Thanks.
  • shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bama55

The problem will be if you install one or more listed FCA parts in an AR-type rifle (M16 bolt carriers are now OK)

Neal

Neal, do you have a link to the OK of using M16 carriers? I have heard this, but haven't seen ATF proof. Thanks.

Colt semi-auto rifles currently come with full auto BCGs...If you do a search here you will see this has been discussed here ad nauseum. A letter from Colt to ATF, and ATFs response regarding the full auto BCG has been posted here a number of times.
  • TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shilowar

Neal

Colt semi-auto rifles currently come with full auto BCGs......and have for several years now, as have other AR manufacturers.

Per Colt's published correspondence with BATF's tech division, it's not an illegal part if the firearm remains capable of semiauto fire only.

Colt had pushed for a change to this silly rule due to reliability issues caused by the decreased weight of their modified design, semiauto-only bolt carriers. I first became aware of this change while attending one of Colt's armorer's update courses. It's installation is a factory endorsed/approved modification.
  • JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

EDIT:
    quote:
    Originally posted by 1911a1fan

Yes that's true, but without these features it's not an M16-type receiver and any receiver which has them is an NFA item.

Modifying an AR receiver so that it will accept these M16 parts will get you a trip to the federal penitentiary.

I agree with Txs. I would add that while the sear is not NFA, you will find most places will expect you to show a form 4 to purchase it. It is simply because they are covering their @sses not because it is a NFA item. The issue here is not wether the reciever or the sear is registered, it is more about the fact you cannot build a machine gun! Period.

Basically if you want a full auto ar, buy the $10K lighting link. If you want an m16, pay the $15-$20K and get one. Otherwise consider what you lose in legal fees and spending 10 years in club fed. The slide fire is another viable option as well.
  • HangfireHangfire Member Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Neal

Here's the letter referenced in many forums..

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/ATF M16 Letter.pdf

After discussions/meetings with California DOJ, Colt has recently ( in late 2011 ) offered a California Compliant AR.. It's a full featured AR with the Bullet Button mag release, and shipped with 9 rd magazines ( yes, NINE round- 10 round are legal, but Colt doesn't furnish them ).. My 6920CA is roll-marked " M4 Carbine ", and has an M16 BCG.. If it's legal here in not-always-sunny Kali, it's probably legal everywhere..

http://www.coltsmfg.com/Catalog/ColtRifles/ColtCaliforniaCompliantRifles.aspx
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 1911a1fan

[/quote]

Not with a registered drop-in auto sear [;)]
  • dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    I don't remember the details, but as I recall, if you have an AR-15 or clone, you can'r own the full auto parts to convert the gun, but if you don't have the AR, it's legal.

Something like that.
    edited November -1
    quote: thought just owning an ar15 lower and an M16 parts kit was illegal( intent)?

tom
    quote:I don't remember the details, but as I recall, if you have an AR-15 or clone, you can'r own the full auto parts to convert the gun, but if you don't have the AR, it's legal.

that's what i thought too.

tom
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcs shooters
    quote:Originally posted by 1911a1fan

Not with a registered drop-in auto sear [;)]
    [/quote]

correct, but that wasnt the question
  • bama55bama55 Member Posts: 6,389 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hangfire

Neal

Here's the letter referenced in many forums..

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/ATF M16 Letter.pdf

After discussions/meetings with California DOJ, Colt has recently ( in late 2011 ) offered a California Compliant AR.. It's a full featured AR with the Bullet Button mag release, and shipped with 9 rd magazines ( yes, NINE round- 10 round are legal, but Colt doesn't furnish them ).. My 6920CA is roll-marked " M4 Carbine ", and has an M16 BCG.. If it's legal here in not-always-sunny Kali, it's probably legal everywhere..

http://www.coltsmfg.com/Catalog/ColtRifles/ColtCaliforniaCompliantRifles.aspx

Thanks y'all. I guess I have been under a rock. [:D]
    I haven't even picked up and looked at a new Colt AR in many years.
    edited November -1
    quote:Basically if you want a full auto ar, buy the $10K lighting link.

I wasn't aware registered lightning links were available. (?)

tom