In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Gun Show Pet Peeves

Fairlane66Fairlane66 Member Posts: 336 ✭✭
edited May 2012 in General Discussion
OK folks, at the risk of sounding like a crotchety old fart, I have to share some of my pet peeves when it comes to gun shows. I'm so frustrated by my most recent gun show experience that I thought I'd vent a little here. Agree, disagree, or share your gun show pet peeves here. Oh, and please note, I raised three kids, have four grandchildren, and a great grandchild. I love kids, but.....

I attended the Tanner Gun Show in Denver this past Saturday morning and, while I'm always pleased to know there are hundreds of firearms aficionados out there, the place was so crowded it was tough to get to the tables. However, crowding isn't necessarily one of my pet peeves, but here are some things that are:

1. Girlfriends - Dudes, unless your girlfriend is a Pamela Anderson clone, leave her at home. If you have to bring her, please, please, please don't wander aimlessly up and down the aisles, holding hands, and playing kissy-face. If you're going to bring her and engage in this deplorable, annoying behavior, please check your Man Card at the door.

2. Baby Strollers - Folks, a crowded gun show is no place for a baby stroller, especially one of those tandem jobs for twins. They take up too much room and the drivers constantly bang the things into folks. If you have to bring a baby, strap em into a pack and tote em around, but leave the wheeled obstructions at home. Better yet, if you can't strap the crumb-muncher into a pack, leave the little poop factory at home.

3. Stinky Folks - Ladies and gentlemen, we live in the United States of America and water is cheap and plentiful, even in the desert. Soap, shampoo, and toothpaste are no longer luxuries for the rich. If you haven't bathed or brushed your teeth in the 24 hours prior to attending a crowded gun show, do us all a favor and stay home. Good gravy, there were some folks at the Tanner Show whose odor could gag a maggot or chase a vulture off a gut wagon. In the year 2012, that just ain't right.

4. Crowds of Swarming Kids - Look guys, I know the drill. Your wife tells you it's OK to go to the gun show, but you have to take the kids. Been there, done that. I always enjoyed taking my son to gun shows, even when he was very young. It's a good thing to raise your kids to know and respect guns, but here are some simple requests. First, you have two hands, so try to keep your tribe down to two Curtain Apes, one on each hand. Second, if you have to bring more than two kids, lead them through the show, don't herd them in front of you. They never go where they're told and they constantly turn around to ask questions or find out where you want them to go. Like herding cats, pushing the pack in front of you just doesn't work and only causes traffic jams. Finally, if you cannot at least moderately control your kids, get your nuts out of your wife's purse and tell her you're going to the gun show alone.

Dogs - OK, unless you use a working dog, canine's have no place at a crowded gun show. Unless your dog is highly trained and disciplined, you're asking for trouble by subjecting your hund to the noise, chaos, and close quarters of a crowded gun show. Your dog could quickly become sensory overloaded and exhibit behavior out of the norm. Plus, it's not fair to the folks who have to maneuver around your hound, tripping over its leash, or getting into it's personal space. Unless you're looking for a personal injury lawsuit, leave Rover at home.

Are You Pointing That At Me? - Yes, I know, gun show guns are supposed to have their actions/triggers bound to prevent activation. However, that doesn't give anyone the right to randomly point a firearm into the crowd. I cannot tell you how many times I witnessed a potential buyer at last weekend's show pointing the gun into the crowd instead of at the ceiling. Remember, never point a gun at anyone you don't intend to shoot!!! I don't care if that gun is bound up, don't point it at me. If you point any gun at me, you are a threat. Follow the rules at gun shows, be disciplined and respectful, and don't give someone lip if you are asked not to point a gun at someone. BTW, I was at last year's Tanner Gun show where a young man shot his buddy. Whoda thunkit???

Family Reunions - Yeah, I know, you haven't seen Billy Bob, his wife, and their twelve kids in a couple of weeks, but don't congregate in the middle of an aisle and carry on a 20-minute conversation. If you want to conduct an impromptu family reunion and act as a roadblock, get your hand stamped and take the rally outside. Better yet, float on down to Starbucks where you won't be an impediment to folks who want to buy guns and ammo.

OK, thanks enough for now. I feel better, at least a little better. Anyone care to chime in?

Oh, one last thing. One might think I'd complain about gun show patrons who show up in wheel chairs. Yeah, there are some who abuse their status, but I haven't spent a day in their wheels, so no complaints. Moreover, I met at least three wounded warriors at this weekend's show who lost their legs in Iraq or Afghanistan. These gentlemen can take their time at any gun show I attend. I'll gladly wait behind them any day of the week...they've more than earned their right to browse. God bless em all!

Comments

• pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would like to post my several cents......Hookers,Candy Sellers,Jewelry,and any other thing that takes up space to get the women to come.....if their not interested guns,stay home....The last show I went to,had almost as many other items as guns,they were also selling makeup for gals..!![:D]
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    These are why I stopped going to gun shows. Number three is particularly offensive to me. Why people think dirt and stink is acceptable is beyond my comprehension. Number four is a failure of society where parents try to be friends not parents teaching kids manners in public places.

3. Stinky Folks - Ladies and gentlemen, we live in the United States of America and water is cheap and plentiful, even in the desert. Soap, shampoo, and toothpaste are no longer luxuries for the rich. If you haven't bathed or brushed your teeth in the 24 hours prior to attending a crowded gun show, do us all a favor and stay home. Good gravy, there were some folks at the Tanner Show whose odor could gag a maggot or chase a vulture off a gut wagon. In the year 2012, that just ain't right.

4. Crowds of Swarming Kids - Look guys, I know the drill. Your wife tells you it's OK to go to the gun show, but you have to take the kids. Been there, done that. I always enjoyed taking my son to gun shows, even when he was very young. It's a good thing to raise your kids to know and respect guns, but here are some simple requests. First, you have two hands, so try to keep your tribe down to two Curtain Apes, one on each hand. Second, if you have to bring more than two kids, lead them through the show, don't herd them in front of you. They never go where they're told and they constantly turn around to ask questions or find out where you want them to go. Like herding cats, pushing the pack in front of you just doesn't work and only causes traffic jams. Finally, if you cannot at least moderately control your kids, get your nuts out of your wife's purse and tell her you're going to the gun show alone.
  • slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am talking to someone who has a gun for sale and a guy walks up, grabs the gun and ask what he wants for it. You do not interupt a deal in progress.
  • mlincolnmlincoln Member Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are gun shows with hookers at them?!? Why wasn't I told about this?

BTW, the guy selling beef jerky and droning on and on and on and on about it always drove me nuts. Man, that gets annoying.

Other thing: would it flipping kill the guy selling guys to smile and say hello and act like I'm a customer. I'd say 75% of the people selling guns at gun shows look hung over and peeved and surly. Hey, let me give you $800 of my hard earned dollars!!!
  • pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by slumlord44
    I am talking to someone who has a gun for sale and a guy walks up, grabs the gun and ask what he wants for it. You do not interupt a deal in progress.
    I would have slapped that into next year....[}:)]
  • 1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i have to agree 100%, baby strollers being my main complaint, i can walk away from the unbathed, but one damn stroller can screw up the entire logistics of the crowd, and even trapping you in
  • montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,892 ******
    edited November -1
    The listed peeves covers it. I too have experinced these.[:(!][:(!]
  • Jayhawk2218Jayhawk2218 Member Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like most days' at Wal-Mart to me.
  • Alan RushingAlan Rushing Member Posts: 9,002 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Believe that you may well covered all of the most major and annoying there! [V] [:(] [:(!]
  • edgecamedgecam Member Posts: 3,280
    edited November -1
    Follow the flow of the crowd. I always see a couple of dingle berries going against the flow and bumping into everybody.
  • GashaulerGashauler Member Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The freaking cost to get in. The cost to park. The surly a-hole at the desk where you check your weapons to make sure they are empty (I don't particularly care for this practice but I understand it).

The last one I went to the * in question proceeded to tell me that there were no weapons (carry type) allowed on the premises. Informed him that he needed to learn the laws before he started trying to push people around.

This is more of a wish than complaint but I wish they would put like stuff together. Dealers with dealers, private sellers etc. Next put the food vendors (I really don't mind the jerky sellers) together. Then the bulk ammo dealers, next the optics, you see where I am headed with this.

This way I can find what I am looking for, or at least go back to the area where I saw it.
  • fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    two corn fed patrons plugging up the isle
  • shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sir I applaud your detailed manifesto!!! You have summed up the reasons I have not attended a Gun Show in years. Everytime one comes to Town and I am tempted to go I think of numbers 3 & 4 and change my mind.
  • Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I really can't argue with any of your points and they are all actually very common "issues" at gun shows that I have been to. However, I have tried to just ignore as much as I can and just have a good time. Seems to work for me! [:)]

I will say that the "point the muzzle at everyone" retard never seizes to irritate me. Sure it may be pointing my way on the table, but once you pick it up, clear the chamber(if you can) and keep that damn thing pointed at the ground or in the air!

My wife does attend about 1 show a year with me too. Thats about enough for her to show she has some interest in guns and for me to say I am including her in my hobby. [:p] She does shoot with me from time to time and hunts gun-deer season, so she is legit at least.

Jon
  • bartman45bartman45 Member Posts: 3,008 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You got to have the folks with eyeglass cleaner, knife sharpeners, survivalist meals and so on to be considered a "gun show".........should ban those to the parking lot.
  • 17tobyracing17tobyracing Member Posts: 3,429 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 on all points!
  • Blade SlingerBlade Slinger Member Posts: 5,891
    edited November -1
    Not to worry, it'll be over soon[:(]
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Let's not forget the 500+ standing in line outside with 1 person for the money with a hand stamp and a ticket to win a BB gun.
  • footlongfootlong Member Posts: 8,009
    edited November -1
    l went to one a couple weeks ago. First one for Aiken in maybe 15 yrs. People standing in line 2 deep. A hundred yds long. 8 bucks a head. My big peeve is all these beached whales w/barely any clothes on showing off their tattoos. Got in there and virtually no guns. Knives galore. Zillions of holsters. 147 different kinds of jerky.0f the guns there Russia was tops. lt seemed They emptied the Tula Arsenal. At least a half dozen booths selling Mosin Nagant riffels. A few AKs too. l ended up buying some powder/primers. 0n the way home l stopped at the 'Gun Rack'. Entering l said to Chuck,"Heres all the guns". A crowd of people in the store who had just left the gun show said the same thing. Chuck said he had been packed all day. His best Saturday since New Years
  • SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cost of parking, cost of admittance, sellers who act like they are doing you a favor to be there. I quit going to gun shows many years ago.
  • KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    agree with all your points.
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How about the cooking guy usually in the corner. Hundreds of folks blocking the aisle for 1 plate of samples. Or the Ammo seller. Huge boxes of everything in bulk and they are at the farthest point from the door. Ever try and carry ammo in cases thru a crowd? Put the ammo by the entrance door you will sell more.. My favorite is the neo nazi , military aisle. If you can get to it, the exit is like the third lane on the freeway. Nobody is in it.
  • cmancman Member Posts: 276 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    3. Stinky Folks -

(that's why i quit going to the cuyahoga cty fairgrounds show)

odor could gag a maggot
  • Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,460 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My pet peeve is finding two nice WWII 1911s, reasonably priced private sales, and only having enough cash with me for one of them.

Buy the Remington Rand, get in the car, go to the bank, drive back to the show, and buy the Ithaca.

The horror.

Well, there's also the two or three tables in the main space selling He-Man's 'Power of Greyskull' swords.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • trc313trc313 Member Posts: 3,475
    edited November -1
    price is my peeve....... everyone thinks they are an expert and have the only 1 ever made!!!
    Why pay a cover just to go look at stuff rediculously over priced...
  • minitruck83minitruck83 Member Posts: 5,369
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cman
    3. Stinky Folks -

(that's why i quit going to the cuyahoga cty fairgrounds show)

odor could gag a maggot

Aside from the 1% wannabees, you got add the vendors who've slept in their vehicle the last couple of nights to save a buck.
    [V]

Allen
  • Bill JordanBill Jordan Member Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ditto: reflects the Berea show exactly just this last weekend.

1: SKS stripper clips : $1.00 each.
    2: 2 beefers going in the same direction looking to the left and right, sweeping the aisle as they went
    3: the stinkers.
    4: the kids.
    5 over priced guns; too many to remember.
    6: even turned around to "remind" a kid to open his semi auto shotgun

I did gun shows for years, specially OGCA at the IX center, untill I found out from an inside source how corrupt they are.

Thanks to GB, I no longer wast my money on them.
  • hehatemehehateme Member Posts: 724
    edited November -1
    +1 on all points, and the one thing that always gives me the red-* is : "Special Gun Show Pricing!" which at our local shows anyways is apparently 500% over retail..

When I take my son or daughter to the show, it's usually only one of them, and since they're 6 and 3, they ride my shoulders the whole show, so we've never had that issue.

-Chris
  • instrumentofwarinstrumentofwar Member Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Flying Clay Disk
    I just always wonder why many of the guys running the tables even came at all if they obviously dislike being there so much.

+10, Everyone seems to have a chip on their shoulder. What ever happened to people being generally polite? This goes for the shoppers/gawkers as well
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,131 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pet Peeves from the OTHER side of the table.

1. People who think vendors owe them something because they paid an admission charge. (Your $10 admission does NOT trump the $1000 it cost the vendor to be there.)

2. People who shift a greaseburger or candy to their clean hand so they can fondle your merchandise with the sticky hand.

3. People who stink. (We agree on THAT one!)

4. Azzwipes who interrupt a discussion with a potential customer to say the item in question is a POS.

5. People who simply must fondle everything on your table without asking.

6. People who damage, scar or break items, then put them down and walk away.

7. People who want NIB Blue Book value for their grungy, worn-out trade-in but want to pay less than wholesale for what they're buying.

8. People who ignore you when you try to wait on them.

9. People who let their kids treat everything on the sale tables as a toy.

10. Rude, arrogant know-it-all wannabes who got all their "knowledge" from movies.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • woodhogwoodhog Member Posts: 13,115 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Boy, you folks need to come to the Angel Camp or Sonora shows. I always enjoy the day, wide aisles, not too crowded, lots of good stuff. Never get through one without some great bargain, meet interesting people. Last show met a really nice fellow who spent 20 minutes showing a bunch of us garand info, fiels stripping, about differrnt parts. sort of an impromptu seminar. Great BBQ at the end as well. No food or drink allowed inside.Service Clubs or Sherriff's Posse runs concessionairre (BBQ tritip, beer etc) outside for a fundraiser.
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    years ago stopped in front of table (no crowd) to visit an old friend and look...surly guy yelled at me like i was selling friend some secret weapon off of his table ...like i needed his jennings & raven....bought one for cash from next table & hollered back..."this guy was nice"
  • misstmisst Member Posts: 707 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rocky Raab

1. People who think vendors owe them something because they paid an admission charge. (Your $10 admission does NOT trump the $1000 it cost the vendor to be there.)

2. People who shift a greaseburger or candy to their clean hand so they can fondle your merchandise with the sticky hand.

3. People who stink. (We agree on THAT one!)

4. Azzwipes who interrupt a discussion with a potential customer to say the item in question is a POS.

5. People who simply must fondle everything on your table without asking.

6. People who damage, scar or break items, then put them down and walk away.

7. People who want NIB Blue Book value for their grungy, worn-out trade-in but want to pay less than wholesale for what they're buying.

8. People who ignore you when you try to wait on them.

9. People who let their kids treat everything on the sale tables as a toy.

10. Rude, arrogant know-it-all wannabes who got all their "knowledge" from movies.

A few more from this weekend:

11. The multiple people that will pick up a gun tied wrapped out of battery and pull the trigger, not jut once, but multiple times.

12. They guy that picked a gun out of my rack, dropped it table high onto it's butt to the floor and just shrug and walk away.

13: The guys that inist on clicking the safety lever on your new AK's up and down multiple times scratching the receiver.

14: They guys that picked up my stone cold mint Model 42 Winchester and pumped it quickly and hard 5 or 6 times with a tie wrap in the receiver before I could turn around.

15: They guy that took my mint M1A in a wood stock and flopped it over onto it's other side onto the gun next to it and put a big ding in it.

16. They guy who offered me $175 out the door for a Makarov I just got in from a distributer with a $239 wholesale cost & shipping (and he knew it, he had the ad from the distributer in his hand). When I told him no,I paid $239 & shipping, price is $299 and tax (profit of about $50 on the gun). He said no, how about $250 straight up or he'd just order one himself. I said no problem, order it. I didn't know you have an FFL (which he didn't).

But all in all, I'd say 99% of the guys are great.
    edited November -1

I can see you being a bit frustrated with the rest of the things on your list. But #1 above, proves two of my main points. Had you mentioned parking you would have covered all 3.
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,131 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    SCOUTS, I don't get your point. So I'll re-phrase mine: If you think admission and parking is outrageous, it doesn't begin to compare with what a vendor pays to get to that same show. Vendor costs are about 100 times those of the attendees.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • grdad45grdad45 Member Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have to add the vendor who continually, for TWO WHOLE DAYS, zaps the air with a stupid stun gun! I folded my stuff up, as did two other guys, and left after the show promoter refused to ask the idiot to hold it down to a few time an hour. (We did get a refund from the promoter)
  • Fairlane66Fairlane66 Member Posts: 336 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    For all those with peeves from the vendor's side of the table, amen! Glad you piped up. As far as people handling your firearms, I even take off my wedding ring before picking up someone's gun. That hacks off my wife, but I'd rather upset her than mar a beautiful piece of walnut or scratch some pristine bluing.
    edited November -1
    SCOUTS, I don't get your point. So I'll re-phrase mine: If you think admission and parking is outrageous, it doesn't begin to compare with what a vendor pays to get to that same show. Vendor costs are about 100 times those of the attendees.

My post: "Cost of parking, cost of admittance, sellers who act like they are doing you a favor to be there. I quit going to gun shows many years ago."

Cost of doing business is just that, if you aren't making money quit. If I buy something from you I am paying to recover some of your expense and perhaps some profit for you.

In the mean time I have already paid a premium on anything I will purchase by paying parking fees, admission and fuel to attend, not including my time. The only way I can recover my investment is to buy something at a discount low enough to cover these expenses. I will make zero money that day, I can only spend money and I have already paid a premium to do so.

Counting fuel and other expenses I will have already invested more before I even consider buying than shipping cost and transfer fees on this site. I will also invest a lot more time than I would shopping here or at my local gun shops.

If you wish for me to respect your investment then I suggest you respect mine along with the other potential customers who may spend their hard earned money to help you recover expenses and hopefully turn a little profit.

If a gun show isn't full of bargains, there is zero reason to attend. A seller who acts like he is doing me a favor to be there can't sell me a gun at any price.

Now you understand why a working professional like me, who actually buys a few guns a year, does not make the investment needed to be treated with disrespect at a gun show. Give me a good quality show with good quality vendors offering goods at lower than average prices, and I will show up, Until then there is no reason to.
  • grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by slumlord44

My main reason for not going any more. Plus the Others in the 1st post.

By the time I find a place to park walk up from 1/2 mile away stand in line just to get in. I'm in no mood to deal with Idiots. Been told several times I do not play well with others.

I can see where the vendors come from just hearing how idiots try to con them.
  • llama girlllama girl Member Posts: 605 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Top Of My List
    1. Sweaty 500 pounders
    2. Their sweaty 300 pound kids with no manners.
    3. Selling second hand reloaded ammo. Some of these loads are Scary.
    4. Men poorly disquised Feds that swarm on you for looking at subsonic ammo trying to sell you "legal" silencers. I want subsonic loads for old AR7, and subsonic 9mm because the slugs are so heavy.
    5. I go to local shows that have 50 or less vendors, they are there to sell product and give out business cards and treat women like "go get the man so I can talk to them"
    6. When you spot a Fed and loudly scream Fed a lot of big scary men herd them to the exit. That is fun to watch, good ole boys in action!