In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Crazy Game Law

tapwatertapwater Member Posts: 10,335 ✭✭✭
edited August 2012 in General Discussion
More sheer stupidity from the government. They want you to pick up every kernel of corn from the field or it's considered baiting....

Dear Waterfowl Hunters:
Due to ongoing drought conditions in Illinois, some farmers are mowing or tilling their unharvested crop fields to collect crop insurance payments. The Illinois Department of Natural Resources (IDNR) reminds hunters that the manipulation, including mowing or tilling, of unharvested crop fields is not a normal agricultural practice for waterfowl hunting purposes. The IDNR has received guidance on this issue from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. Federal baiting laws still apply, even during times of drought. Therefore, it is a violation of the baiting laws under the federal Migratory Bird Treaty Act if scattered grain is not totally removed 10 days prior to hunting. Hunters should familiarize themselves with baiting laws in Illinois. For more information on waterfowl baiting regulations, refer to the United States Fish and Wildlife Service web-site link regarding baiting regulations at http://www.fws.gov/le/waterfowl-hunting-and-baiting.html.
Questions regarding hunting crop fields mowed or tilled due to drought insurance claims;
1. If a standing grain crop is 100% void of any ears (corn field produced no ears), can the field be mowed then hunted? Yes, as long as there is no grain present in the field. A field that produces NO ears of corn will probably be a rare occurrence.
2. If a standing grain crop has any amount of grain present after it is mowed, can it be hunted? No, it is a "baited area" until 10 days after the complete removal of the grain.
3. Can a standing crop that was mowed be disked and made legal for hunting? The field can only be hunt-ed after all exposed grain has been completely removed or buried for a period of 10 days. Hunters should keep in mind that if a dry field is tilled to the extent that no grain is visibly present, strong winds or the first rain is likely to wash off some covered grain, thus still making it a baited situation.
4. Why can a person not hunt over a mowed area? Under federal baiting regulations, mowing or tilling of a standing crop is not a "normal agricultural planting, harvesting, post-harvest manipulation, or normal soil stabili-zation practice" as determined by the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Cooperative Extension Service.
Attached to this email are pertaining sections of the 2011-2012 Illinois Digest of Hunting and Trapping Regulations that provide additional information on migratory bird hunting and federal baiting regulations.
For questions about federal baiting regulations, please call 217-782-6431, Monday-Friday 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
See Attachment for more information:

Comments

• Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey man,....over 50% of the population seems to love the nanny state Gub.

We are in the minority.[xx(]
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    not to worry..govt will rescind that ruling 15 days after the end of hunting season....
  • tapwatertapwater Member Posts: 10,335 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ..What's next? Doe-in-heat scent? Decoys? Grass pasture? Water
    sources? Antler rattling?
  • JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's always been a 10 day wait before hunting on grain fields harvested or not in Tx.

That's why you harvest 11 days before season.

What is stupid is a 3 shell limit on a bird you can only have 15 possession. If you can only have 15, why have the shell limit?

Some say it is to give the birds the chance to make it all the way south. GREAT! Soon as they cross the border there is no shell or bag limit. So they are mowed down by the thousands.

Great plan fish and game.
  • reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tap...whatcha looking for..."sitting ducks"[;)]
  • MossbergboogieMossbergboogie Member Posts: 12,211
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tapwater
    ..What's next? Doe-in-heat scent? Decoys? Grass pasture? Water
    sources? Antler rattling?

That law has been in place for decades. Not saying it makes a whole lot of sense, but it's been there nothing new.
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    rather like an govt farm agency ruling years ago on burning CRP grss acres before a certain date or face loss of payments and fines and interest...was really dry & windy and most did NOT want to burn but they said DO IT OR ELSE..those that did had dirt drifted into dunes nd blocking roads.. few got by without being caught ...two weeks after deadline govt said " you don't have to burn now" ...idiots
  • discusdaddiscusdad Member Posts: 11,418 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    your original opening statement is entirely false
    when a crop is harvested using "normal, accepted harvest methods", grain will be left in the field, to some degree. the feds have no problem with that. when a field is Manipulated, outside of normal practices, then there can be problems. mowing or bush-hogging is not considered "normal". u can flood a standing crop- no problem....when u run circles around to flatten it ---problem. state CPOs are not the one to ask. its a FED decision, and even they dont always agree.
    edited November -1
    ive no problem with the fed regs.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tapwater
    More sheer stupidity from the government. They want you to pick up every kernel of corn from the field or it's considered baiting....

Dear Waterfowl Hunters:
    Due to ongoing drought conditions in Illinois, some farmers are mowing or tilling their unharvested crop fields to collect crop insurance payments. The Illinois Department of Natural Resources (IDNR) reminds hunters that the manipulation, including mowing or tilling, of unharvested crop fields is not a normal agricultural practice for waterfowl hunting purposes. The IDNR has received guidance on this issue from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. Federal baiting laws still apply, even during times of drought. Therefore, it is a violation of the baiting laws under the federal Migratory Bird Treaty Act if scattered grain is not totally removed 10 days prior to hunting. Hunters should familiarize themselves with baiting laws in Illinois. For more information on waterfowl baiting regulations, refer to the United States Fish and Wildlife Service web-site link regarding baiting regulations at http://www.fws.gov/le/waterfowl-hunting-and-baiting.html.
    Questions regarding hunting crop fields mowed or tilled due to drought insurance claims;
    1. If a standing grain crop is 100% void of any ears (corn field produced no ears), can the field be mowed then hunted? Yes, as long as there is no grain present in the field. A field that produces NO ears of corn will probably be a rare occurrence.
    2. If a standing grain crop has any amount of grain present after it is mowed, can it be hunted? No, it is a "baited area" until 10 days after the complete removal of the grain.
    3. Can a standing crop that was mowed be disked and made legal for hunting? The field can only be hunt-ed after all exposed grain has been completely removed or buried for a period of 10 days. Hunters should keep in mind that if a dry field is tilled to the extent that no grain is visibly present, strong winds or the first rain is likely to wash off some covered grain, thus still making it a baited situation.
    4. Why can a person not hunt over a mowed area? Under federal baiting regulations, mowing or tilling of a standing crop is not a "normal agricultural planting, harvesting, post-harvest manipulation, or normal soil stabili-zation practice" as determined by the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Cooperative Extension Service.
    Attached to this email are pertaining sections of the 2011-2012 Illinois Digest of Hunting and Trapping Regulations that provide additional information on migratory bird hunting and federal baiting regulations.
    For questions about federal baiting regulations, please call 217-782-6431, Monday-Friday 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
    See Attachment for more information:

It is why I stopped duck hunting, BS, added to BS added to a huge pile of BS. Our Federal Government sucks.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by reloader44mag
    Tap...whatcha looking for..."sitting ducks"[;)]

..Pretty easy "shooting", wouldn't you say?...[:D]
    edited November -1
    ..By the way, I've been ticketed by the DNR for baiting. It was a hole left by a broken field tile that the officers insisted I had put "deer cocaine" into. I've never bought the stuff and they had no proof. Got the ticket thrown out by the judge, along with several others. Husband and wife DNR officers must have been having a slow day.
    edited November -1
    and ive been prevented from hunting an area that was Baited by the Landowner himself, Huey Lewis. ya that one Huey Lewis and the News, when he lost a court battle over "navigable water".
  • sharpshooter039sharpshooter039 Member Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Dear Waterfowl Hunters:

I quit hunting ducks back many many years ago when they tried to do the point system of how many ducks you could take, it was too much bull..I understand that system is no longer used but I have now lost interest in Waterfowl hunting..As far as baiting deer,,its not only legal here,,its incuraged. You cant bait Bear though so you have to be careful not to Bear hunt too close to a deer feeder
  • oldrideroldrider Member Posts: 4,934 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hate to admit my ignorance again, but what the hell is "deer cocaine?"
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by oldrider
    I hate to admit my ignorance again, but what the hell is "deer cocaine?"

..It's some sort of lure in powder form. I don't know what's in it or
    if it's still on the market. It seemed like a dumb name for something
    of that nature. Maybe it's "addicting"....[?]
  • reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1