In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Friends and Kubotas

p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
edited September 2012 in General Discussion
A friend gave me a ten year old T1460 lawn tractor for the hauling after he got one of those zero turn things.
I've never had a Kubota anything. It's got a Kawasaki engine so I figure with oil changes it will never wear out. Everything works on it, he said it won't go up steep hills now and he gave me a couple of new belts and four extra blades to go with it. It cranks and runs fine.

Any pointers on what to examine or pay close attention to? The hour meter shows about 360.

Comments

• Options
    discusdaddiscusdad Member Posts: 11,418 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    pay very close attention to the direction of the belts. as in most riders, i believe these systems were designed by a MAN HATING female with tiny hands. my gorilla mitts and all the twists and turns involved with my craftsman mower left me bloodied and battered. my dog did learn new words tho.[:D]
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Friends don't let friends drive Botas.
  • Options
    mlincolnmlincoln Member Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I drove one a good bit when I worked on a farm for a couple years, a Kubota and several old Farm-alls. I tell you what, that Kubota was like driving a new Honda Accord. Fit and finish and a steering and everything was just as nice and as easy as could be. Congrats to you!
  • Options
    reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ya got it for free...when it breaks junk it[:D]
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,004 ******
    edited November -1
    If it's a hydrostatic drive, the tranny may be going south. That's the way my Huskee acted for about a year before the tranny quit altogether.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    + 1 on Nunn's advice if HYDRO transmission. As the oilgets hotter it gets thinner And aluminum pump is scored can't develope enough oil pump pressure. .If you can add oil add some STP. Might get you another year if sealed unit [V][:(!] Wait until TEMP gets below ZERO to cut grass[:o)] oil will get thick on it's own.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    360 hours is just broke in if well cared for, worn out junk if not. Fluids, all of them need attention. The manufacturer did not spend thousands of dollars on printing maintenance manuals just to kill trees... You have one heck of a great friend!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    He gave me a manual on it so I peruse it tomorrow paying close attention to servicing the unit, which is btw hydrostatic. Youtube doesn't have much in the way of instruction or visual on the system.
    Tomorrow will be digging into the operating systems.
    I'm still pretty happy to have it to play with. Something I've never learned before! [:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Okay, I've had the lawnmower for six days.

Oil and filter replaced
    Draglink replaced
    New deck clevis pin installed
    Deck drive belt replaced
    Fueled with non-ethanol gasoline
    Greased chassis and aired tires
    Washed and inspected.
    Brakes still need adjusting, but no rush.

The lawnmower was neglected! That's pretty much all that was wrong with it. It runs like a champ and can climb a tree now. It runs up 45 degree embankments now with ease. I did make one discovery that surprised me; The fasteners are all SAE, not metric and it was built in the US, not Japan.
    The belt changes are a piece of cake too! I am very impressed with the engineering and user friendliness of the machine.
    I highly recommend Kubota products.
    [:)]

ADDENDUM: I pulled the inspection/oil level plug and the tranny was overfilled. I let the oil run out until the proper level. The transmission now appears to operate normally.
  • Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ""ADDENDUM: I pulled the inspection/oil level plug and the tranny was overfilled. I let the oil run out until the proper level. The transmission now appears to operate normally.""

Just a thought here.... You say it was neglected. If the trans level is high, that may be is sign of the friction material {clutchpacks} now laying in the bottom of the pan.{causes a high fluid level}

I hope not.
  • Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    You shouldn't be allowed to post this stuff without photos. [:o)]

Let's see it!
  • Options
    longspur riderlongspur rider Member Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it's been neglected it could be moisture in the tranny that made oil level too high. Might think about draining it, & put in new oil.
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    quote:Wait until TEMP gets below ZERO to cut grass

Does it have a snow blade on the front so the mower can get to the grass?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Snow? What is snow? [;)]

Okay, I just took five pictures of it and here they are. You might have to have a FB account to see them.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.378305978908158.92191.100001862766454&type=1&l=435816a7e1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by longspur rider
    If it's been neglected it could be moisture in the tranny that made oil level too high. Might think about draining it, & put in new oil.

The tranny is vented so I'd say no on the water. The oil that came out looked like Wild Turkey with no crap whatsoever. I saw on the IPB that the tranny incorporates a filter too.