In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Ethanol sucks

jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,195 ✭✭✭
edited December 2011 in General Discussion
The last few days I have rebuilt carburetors on four chainsaws plus new fuel lines because of this (Some I had bought recently.) They had the rubber needle tip in the carb and it melts the rubber. At the end of the year government funding(seems I read 15 Billion a year) for ethanol suppose to run out and I hope eventually that is the end of that junk. Corn was made to eat not burn in an engine. I bet that stuff has done billions worth of damage to equipment in this country alone. In the long run it is doing more damage to the environment than it is helping. Erosion of soil would have to be more and the fuel burnt by the equipment used to produce the corn was said to equal out any environmental benefit of the ethanol in the fuel. I now buy ethanol treatment for fuel I use in any small engine. I recently bought a new carburetor for and engine. It had a one year warranty and said in the paper work the use of ethanol fuels without an ethanol additive would void the warranty.

Comments

• shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used Startron. Ethanol gunked up the carbs in my 91 Honda Hurricane. Ethanol is bad stuff especially for older engines. I found a ehtanol free PURE gas station that I would ride out to fill up.
  • nutfinnnutfinn Member Posts: 12,804 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I drink too much of it and it has messed up my chainsaw. I only use 100% on my small equipment nowadays [:)]
  • Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nutfinn
    I drink too much of it and it has messed up my chainsaw. I only use 100% on my small equipment nowadays [:)]
    [:0]big difference between methanol and ethanol.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • nutfinnnutfinn Member Posts: 12,804 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mr. Perfect
    Correct, I drink ethanol, not methanol. Ethanol is what they also put in gasoline.
    edited November -1
    Correct, I drink ethanol, not methanol. Ethanol is what they also put in gasoline.
    carry on then.
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • woodshed87woodshed87 Member Posts: 25,785
    edited November -1
    Is it Possible that ethanol Could Gunk up The Throttle Body On Doris Blazer? new Cap Rotor Plugs Wires Fuel Filter Still Runs ...
    Like Crap Sometimes.

Sometimes Ya Step on the gas When you Really need it and Its like Stepping on a Grape nothing there except Mush.[V]
  • woodshed87woodshed87 Member Posts: 25,785
    edited November -1
    But Where You Live Do you use Them All the time? No Layups? Thats the Differencequote:Originally posted by BTDT
    Okay.....so I've heard all the horror stories of ethanol.

I use pump gas in my car, truck, motorcycles, two-stroke lawn care equip., and whatever else might use gasoline.

Never had any issue what-so-ever.

Just sayin.....
  • Oso2142Oso2142 Member Posts: 2,940
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jltrent
    The last few days I have rebuilt carburetors on four chainsaws plus new fuel lines because of this (Some I had bought recently.) They had the rubber needle tip in the carb and it melts the rubber. At the end of the year government funding(seems I read 15 Billion a year) for ethanol suppose to run out and I hope eventually that is the end of that junk. Corn was made to eat not burn in an engine. I bet that stuff has done billions worth of damage to equipment in this country alone. In the long run it is doing more damage to the environment than it is helping. Erosion of soil would have to be more and the fuel burnt by the equipment used to produce the corn was said to equal out any environmental benefit of the ethanol in the fuel. I now buy ethanol treatment for fuel I use in any small engine. I recently bought a new carburetor for and engine. It had a one year warranty and said in the paper work the use of ethanol fuels without an ethanol additive would void the warranty.

This is good input, thanks! I should check my leaf blower, and see if she's doing well. [:I]
  • jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,195 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by BTDT
    After being used, my lawn care stuff gets emptied and then run til dry / stops.

My motorcycles, if sitting idle for more than a month or so, gets either Sta-Bil or Berryman's B12 Chem Tool.

My car / truck never gets any additive.

Your day is coming. Just been lucky so far, but you do take precautions in the long run though.
    edited November -1
    yep, let's make things "greener" by diluting gasoline with an additive that has lower potential energy, causes a vehicle to produce more carbon exhaust per mile, is more caustic, and requires us to put edible crops into fuel. That's the definition of antismart.
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 35,988 ******
    edited November -1
    www.buyrealgas.com

Get the real thing.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

I use pump gas in my car, truck, motorcycles, two-stroke lawn care equip., and whatever else might use gasoline.

Just sayin.....

You are on borrowed time. If you run ethanol fuel in small engines sooner or later it will come to haunt you.
  • KSUmarksmanKSUmarksman Member Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ethanol has yet to ruin my car...must be because when I get poopfaced I get a ride or crash at friend's house instead of driving and crashing the car [:D]

to be serious though...I'd rather ruin my mower or chainsaw than ruin MY insides because MTBE got in the water supply [;)]
  • HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    Ethanol in Gasoline has ruined the fuel lines and who knows what else in Five Pieces of Yard equipment.
  • jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,583 ******
    edited November -1
    Alcohol was meant for one thing:
    DSC_0133.jpg
  • 76k2076k20 Member Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ethanol is not the cause of all the problems people encounter with gasoline engines.

Small engines will be ruined running ethanol?? Really, come see my 1982 riding mower that has seen 10% ethanol almost it's entire life. I have a copy of the Briggs and Stratton manual that specifically says 10% is okay with the engine, dated in the 1980's. Carb has been rebult once, due to throttle linkage having been worn out. Just parked it for the winter, and it will start up next spring just like every other year.

The arguments about corn being used for fuel rather than food is BS. The price of everything is up, food and fuel alike. Remember a few years ago when corn was rotting on the ground and in barges, or being sent oversees at US taxpayers expense to foreign countries?? Good thing that corn was wasted rather than being used...

Environmental damage due to ethanol? Farmer plant corn no matter what the market is, and right now the price of corn is up, so planting more corn is due to market price than driving the ethanol agenda. There are millions of acres coming out of CRP to be farmed again due to high grain prices, which I do not think is a good thing.

As for fuel line damage, well that's a two way street. Alcohol and rubber don't get along too well, but on the other hand what product do you use to de-ice fuel lines in cold weather? You know, when gasoline and other fuels attract water in storage tanks. Ethanol has virtually eliminated frozen fuel lines in gas vehicles. When was the last time you had a frozen/iced gas line? I haven't heard of a case in many years. People used to buy gas line anti-freeze (alcohol) to add to the gas to keep their vehicles going in the winter. Hmm...

Most people fail to notice that pure gasoline will eventually go bad and cause the exact same failures that ethanol gets blamed for. 'Bad gas' was common before ethanol. Not to mention that some people who complain about 'ethanol' problems don't know the difference between 10% vs E85, and seem to think they are the same. Misinformation on the topic surely helps field valid arguments.

Ethanol is not all bad, nor is it all good.
  • jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,583 ******
    edited November -1
    You're not really a janitor, are ya.[8D]
  • PacManPacMan Member Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    And don't forget those wonderful new gas can spouts we're forced to use. Now I'm spilling as much of this BS corn fuel crap on the ground as I am in the friggin tank. But it's all for the better so they say.
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    yep, let's make things "greener" by diluting gasoline with an additive that has lower potential energy, causes a vehicle to produce more carbon exhaust per mile, is more caustic, and requires us to put edible crops into fuel. That's the definition of antismart.

Anybody who doesn't believe this needs to take a cross country drive. Back when it was just 10% here in the midwest, we drove out to NV and CA from MN. When we got out of the alcohol zone we started getting 3 miles per gallon better mileage than with the alcohol. That was from 17 to 20 on the highway. Crossing flat land on pure gasoline we got as much as 22 mpg. All this was in a 5.4L Eddie Bauer edition Expedition. Anyways, if you figure +10% from 17 would mean 18.7 Since we averaged 20 mpg on pure gasoline, I'm thinking we lost 1.3 mpg due to alcohol being added to the gasoline.

Bottom line, the stuff is supposed to help, not hurt!
  • RocklobsterRocklobster Member Posts: 7,060
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 76k20
    Ethanol is not the cause of all the problems people encounter with gasoline engines.

Small engines will be ruined running ethanol?? Really, come see my 1982 riding mower that has seen 10% ethanol almost it's entire life. I have a copy of the Briggs and Stratton manual that specifically says 10% is okay with the engine, dated in the 1980's. Carb has been rebult once, due to throttle linkage having been worn out. Just parked it for the winter, and it will start up next spring just like every other year.

The arguments about corn being used for fuel rather than food is BS. The price of everything is up, food and fuel alike. Remember a few years ago when corn was rotting on the ground and in barges, or being sent oversees at US taxpayers expense to foreign countries?? Good thing that corn was wasted rather than being used...

Environmental damage due to ethanol? Farmer plant corn no matter what the market is, and right now the price of corn is up, so planting more corn is due to market price than driving the ethanol agenda. There are millions of acres coming out of CRP to be farmed again due to high grain prices, which I do not think is a good thing.

As for fuel line damage, well that's a two way street. Alcohol and rubber don't get along too well, but on the other hand what product do you use to de-ice fuel lines in cold weather? You know, when gasoline and other fuels attract water in storage tanks. Ethanol has virtually eliminated frozen fuel lines in gas vehicles. When was the last time you had a frozen/iced gas line? I haven't heard of a case in many years. People used to buy gas line anti-freeze (alcohol) to add to the gas to keep their vehicles going in the winter. Hmm...

Most people fail to notice that pure gasoline will eventually go bad and cause the exact same failures that ethanol gets blamed for. 'Bad gas' was common before ethanol. Not to mention that some people who complain about 'ethanol' problems don't know the difference between 10% vs E85, and seem to think they are the same. Misinformation on the topic surely helps field valid arguments.

TYVM, Tom Vilsack.
  • CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Just sayin.....

Just wait for it. The diaphragms and gaskets in the 2 stroke stuff will fall apart and the fuel lines as well. Now I have to buy this premixed pure gas stuff at $9 a gallon for my yard equipment.

Not to mention the fact that it reduces the efficiency by 15% in everything . So you end up buying the same amount of Gasoline before it was diluted AND put out more CO2. How is that in any way helpful?
  • coledigger4coledigger4 Member Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So far, our Premium has no alcohol so I run it in everything I own. I have had fuel system problems from that crap and now prefer to pay a bit more for gas than to pay for parts and down time.
  • john wjohn w Member Posts: 4,104
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by woodshed87
    Is it Possible that ethanol Could Gunk up The Throttle Body On Doris Blazer? new Cap Rotor Plugs Wires Fuel Filter Still Runs ...
    Like Crap Sometimes.

Sometimes Ya Step on the gas When you Really need it and Its like Stepping on a Grape nothing there except Mush.[V]

Run some sea foam thru the gas system which you can get at any auto parts store. Read the can to see how much you can use. G.M. has some darn good injector cleaner you can get at the dealership. Ask for the stuff the mechanics use at the dealership.
  • CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

I am a Mechanical Engineer and can debate the thermodynamics of "ethanol" with you all day. You will lose every argument at every turn. From rubber degradation to dilution to 2nd law. Ethanol is a SCAM and we need to get rid of it.

It is not "Green" and it does not help either the environment or the local economy, only the insiders who are being subsidized by the libtard Government.
    edited November -1

So, what you are saying is that an older engine that was designed for gasoline with ethanol wasn't affected by using gas with ethanol? Wow congrats to the design team, that's a feat!
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CaptFun

I am a Mechanical Engineer and can debate the thermodynamics of "ethanol" with you all day. You will lose every argument at every turn. From rubber degradation to dilution to 2nd law. Ethanol is a SCAM and we need to get rid of it.

It is not "Green" and it does not help either the environment or the local economy, only the insiders who are being subsidized by the libtard Government.

I was watching a program on Netflix recently that documented the uses for corn. The major use in today's market is for fuel. It constitutes well over 50%.

BTW, I am an ME who will back up every argument you make. Alcohol as a fuel is crap. The only purpose it serves, and that on a limited basis, is to lower the flash point of the fuel, which can be advantageous in certain scenarios. In most every instance all it does is cause detrimental knock.
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • rcrxmike_2rcrxmike_2 Member Posts: 3,275
    edited November -1

Just sayin.....

don't buy any lottery tickets and expect winners... you used up your luck. takes 1.85 gallons of alcohol to make the same btu's in a gallon of gas, is hideously corrosive to orings and diaphrams and you'll get approximately 1/2 the mileage.....