In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Splain This... Attempted Murder Charge Dropped

bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
edited May 2012 in General Discussion
Two different cases:http://www.wishtv.com/dpp/news/crime/teen-makes-plea-deal-in-monon-shooting

Teen makes plea deal in Monon shooting

Updated: Monday, 16 Apr 2012, 9:09 PM EDT
Published : Monday, 16 Apr 2012, 9:09 PM EDT

INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) - An Indianapolis teen pleaded guilty to attempted robbery in connection with a June shooting on the Monon Trail, and attempted murder charges against him were dismissed.

Devon Moore, 16, was charged as an adult after police said he shot Gary Bravard, 58, seven times on June 16 as Bravard walked home from work on the Monon Trail in the Nora area, near 86th Street and Westfield Boulevard. The incident had started as an attempted robbery, police said, and Bravard was shot after he refused to comply with Moore's demands.

A charge against Moore of carrying a handgun without a license was also dismissed. Moore's sentencing is set for 2 p.m. April 25.

Reduced to "attempted robbery". I guess because the gunman didn't actually get any money.

And just down the street, we have this:
http://www.wishtv.com/dpp/news/local/marion_county/teen-who-shot-village-pantry-clerk-gets-35-year-sentence

Teen who shot Village Pantry clerk gets 35-year sentence

Updated: Friday, 20 Apr 2012, 7:05 PM EDT
Published : Friday, 20 Apr 2012, 3:02 PM EDT
Julian Grace

INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) - Brandon Payton sat in the courtroom, showing no emotion. The 16-year-old sat in jail garb as he waited wait to hear his sentence Friday.

The judge sentenced Payton to 35 years in prison for shooting Marcella "Marcy" Birnell in the head during a botched robbery at the Village Pantry at 86th Street and Ditch Road.

Teen apologizes to family

"I want to say to the victim and the victim's family, I'm sorry," Payton said as he stood before the courtroom just before he received his sentence.

Payton agreed to a plea deal that included him admitting guilt to attempted robbery, a Class A felony, and robbery a Class B felony.

The sentence hearing lasted about 45 minutes Friday. After it wrapped up we asked Birnell's relatives for their reaction to the sentence.

"I think this is a tragedy for both families. It has affected both families on a great level," said Birnell's brother-in-law Perry Tole.

I sure don't get it.
I'm concerned about the random crap of shooting someone while they're walking their dog near their house. It seems that is the more dasterdly of the two.

Seems that the sentences should be a little more similar?

Comments

• CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The youth in the first incident probably had extenuating circumstances...he was not give enough hugs and was raised in a single parent home..these things caused him to shoot that man...it was not his fault, it is society's fault.[xx(][xx(]
  • nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's common in plea deals for imaginary charges to be plead to as part of the deal.

It's a plea of convenience or Alford plea.
  • Waco WaltzWaco Waltz Member Posts: 10,828 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Someone shoots me dead 7 times I'd roll in my grave if they only sent him up on Attempted Robbery.

Guy is a cold blooded muderer he should be treated as such.
  • shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Both will be worse monsters when they get out of prison. An entire generation of thugs that have no regard for human life or conscience and compassion for suffering. Trained by first person shooter video games to rob and maim without thought to consequence. We reap what we've sown.
  • River RatRiver Rat Member Posts: 9,022
    edited November -1
    There is also a disparity between the price paid for attempting to kill an unarmed man, and attempting to kill an armed man. The first will get you a tap on the wrist, the second will get you a double tap.