In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Jury Duty Next Week

armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,478 ✭✭✭
edited May 2012 in General Discussion
I've got jury duty next Wednesday & Thursday. Do you think if they pick me for a juror that I would be able to have the case tried live here on GB. ???

Comments

• armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,478 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just read my summons that I put on the fridge so I don't forget it. Monday starts a day from hell.

From the Kentucky website FAQ on jury duty:

quote:Will my employer excuse me from work?
    Employers, by law, must release someone who has been summonsed to jury service from his or her regular work schedule. Employers are not required, however, to compensate individuals for time spent away from regular employment during jury duty. Jurors are compensated $12.50 per day by the state during jury service.
  • montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,893 ******
    edited November -1
    ....that'd be cool !!!
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by BTDT
    quote:Originally posted by armilite
    I've got jury duty next Monday & Tuesday. Do you think if they pick me for a juror that I would be able to have the case tried live here on GB. ???

He/she wouldn't be going to trial if they weren't guilty. [;)]

Those are my thoughts exactly.
  • gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was on a jury panel where the man was accused of five counts of murder plus rape & sodomy. Each person said they understood that he was presumed to be innocent until proven guilty. As each person was excused from the panel they had to walk past the defense table to leave the courtroom. Every single one of them passed as far from the defendant as they could possibly get. Yeah, they all presumed him to be innocent.[:D]
    I was passed over many times & thought I had made it. The prosecutor had passed the last time around & I was shocked when he dismissed me.
    The trial was supposed to last possibly as much as five months & I was really looking forward to five months off work from the Post Office.
  • nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why not? we judge everything else.
  • austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,829 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lots of judges here.[:D]
  • lkanneslkannes Member Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Show up like this, you won't have to worry about it.[img][/img]execute.png
    edited November -1
    Well I was polled as a juror today and was dismissed. Got polled for a second jury but they ran out of time before they could pick a jury. We will see what transpires tomorrow.
  • LaidbackDanLaidbackDan Member Posts: 13,143 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have lived in a county of just over 10000 people for 9 years and have yet been called for jury duty.
    I think the only action in the court room is the janitor knocking down the cobwebs.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by LaidbackDan
    I have lived in a county of just over 10000 people for 9 years and have yet been called for jury duty.
    I think the only action in the court room is the janitor knocking down the cobwebs.

The county I live in has a population of 1.5 million and I was kinda surprised to hear that about only 1,000 cases per year are jury trials.
  • fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    Just take your I-pad and transcribe every word to a post here!![:D]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishkiller41
    Just take your I-pad and transcribe every word to a post here!![:D]

That was my original intention but I have to get picked first, just don't think the judge will go for it though.
    edited November -1
    Well the case I was pooled for has adjourned until July, so they let us return back to our normal lives.
  • LaidbackDanLaidbackDan Member Posts: 13,143 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I guess my county is monitoring this forum, I received a jury summons today.

I just couldn't keep my big mouth shut.
  • CaptplaidCaptplaid Member Posts: 20,296 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe in jury nullification.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by LaidbackDan
    I guess my county is monitoring this forum, I received a jury summons today.

I just couldn't keep my big mouth shut.

See what happens.[:D][:D]
  • hk-91hk-91 Member Posts: 10,050
    edited November -1
    I want to serve on a jury some time. I wouldnt lose any money ( my job still pays me for things like this). Would be kinda cool
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hk-91
    I want to serve on a jury some time. I wouldnt lose any money ( my job still pays me for things like this). Would be kinda cool

I've been picked like 5 times already. Most of the jurors that I was down there with were first time jurors. It was also strange that my wife and I were picked 2 weeks apart.
  • llama girlllama girl Member Posts: 605 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Very simple they are either guilty or it was entrapment,ask judge if their is death penalty for burglary. If judge replies NO tell him it is at my house.
    You will either be kicked out or hospitalized.
  • gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by armilite
    quote:Originally posted by hk-91

I've been picked like 5 times already. Most of the jurors that I was down there with were first time jurors. It was also strange that my wife and I were picked 2 weeks apart.

I was fourty years old before I was called the first time. Now in the last 32 years I have been called at least every two years. Some times I have not had to go in, just call in. I long ago lost track of how many panels I have been kicked off of but I have been on 7 juries. They keep you for a week if you are not picked for a trial so you can be kicked off of several panels.
    One Federal criminal, two civil, 4 local criminal. In only one was I the alternate.
    The last trial it was very difficult for me to stay awake, especially in the morning. The next time they ask me if I can be "fair" I am going to say NO. How can I be fair to either side if I can't stay awake & if my snoring distracts the other jurors?
    The only good part is that the jury duty pay & mileage are not taxable.