In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

My dad was a cop

nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
edited May 2012 in General Discussion
for a number of years, but quit when he realized he had an IQ over 100.

Comments

• KSUmarksmanKSUmarksman Member Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    *grabs steel pot and rifle, dives into bunker entrance*
    oh boy, here we go again...
  • wartigerwartiger Member Posts: 3,861
    edited November -1
    Ohhhhh, that's just funny as crap right there!! Yeah, it don't take much smarts to learn all 'dem 'dere laws in 'dem big ol' law books or vehicular wreckage drawens. No sirree, any 'ol bubba can be a policeman. Hell fire, just look at dumb 'ol me.
    No sir, I didn't have nary a chance to go to college and * my deegreee in, what you call it, house builden? Oh , yeah, arkitekture and deezine.
    No sirree, gots me a badge and a gun and imma gonna save 'de world.
  • redneckandyredneckandy Member Posts: 9,682 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    [:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]
  • jeffb1911jeffb1911 Member Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Love how people think we are stupid when we have to know the law so well that we must make an informed decision in seconds that lawyers will get to research for years while they go through all the law books and second guess our decision.
  • Waco WaltzWaco Waltz Member Posts: 10,828 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well I have read and heard that police agencies do not hire the smartest of the smart because they want drones who will follow orders.

The real discussion here should be, is it true or flase?

Whatever the case let the chips fall where they may.
  • guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This should end well.
  • TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Waco Waltz
    Well I have read and heard that police agencies do not hire the smartest of the smart because they want drones who will follow orders.

The real discussion here should be, is it true or flase?Sorry, but misspelling in a post which calls other's intelligence into question is just too funny to pass up. [:D]
  • KodiakkKodiakk Member Posts: 5,582
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jeffb1911
    Love how people think we are stupid when we have to know the law so well that we must make an informed decision in seconds that lawyers will get to research for years while they go through all the law books and second guess our decision.

Haha you took bait hook line and sinker. Obvious trolling here.

I do understand why people like to give police such a hard time. They get all defensive to easy.

Jeff I'm a oilfield worker. Could you imagine the ulcers I would have if I got all defensive every time someone took a shot at the oilfield?
  • nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 35,988 ******
    edited November -1
    Three years, right? That's all the time it takes to get it all figured out, according to a local expert.

I guess my IQ of 135 over-qualified me, but I still like what I do.
  • NavybatNavybat Member Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What I want to know is...if the Mods lock other threads, why not just delete threads like this which are OBVIOUS trolls with rancid bait?

They can't possibly end well, and we get those who bash cops, and the Mods bragging about how smart they are, and others who don't believe them, and those who claim others are dumb and then can't even spell "false" correctly. It's just ugly.

Now what's going to happen is a Mod will come in, make his editorial comment, then lock the thread so no one can disagree with him, then he'll sit back with a smug look on his face and relish his power.

IBTL.
  • UNIVERSITY50UNIVERSITY50 Member Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well My Dad was a cop for 33 yrs, my brother for 30 yrs, and I am on 26 yrs. I will not be going any further as I was Injuried in the line of duty saving the lifes of two young kids who's father was trying to kill them. I saved the kids but was hit and drug by the father's vehicle. I was drug for 35 feet and only broke loose when my body hit another car on the roadway knocking me loose.
    So I guess we are just a family of * Cops![B)]
  • gesshotsgesshots Member Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    farm-girl-pin-up-feeding-chickens-in-short-overalls-1945.jpg
    [:D]
    It's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't. ~ J.B. Books
  • AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 4,050
    edited November -1
    Unlike some articles posted here, this is real. Notice the average IQ for cops is only 104. And that is the average, which means lots of them are lower than that. Not surprising, since most police depts only require a high school diploma or GED.

Court OKs Barring High IQs for Cops

NEW LONDON, Conn

A man whose bid to become a police officer was rejected after he scored too high on an intelligence test has lost an appeal in his federal lawsuit against the city.

The 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in New York upheld a lower court's decision that the city did not discriminate against Robert Jordan because the same standards were applied to everyone who took the test.

"This kind of puts an official face on discrimination in America against people of a certain class," Jordan said today from his Waterford home. "I maintain you have no more control over your basic intelligence than your eye color or your gender or anything else."

He said he does not plan to take any further legal action.

Jordan, a 49-year-old college graduate, took the exam in 1996 and scored 33 points, the equivalent of an IQ of 125. But New London police interviewed only candidates who scored 20 to 27, on the theory that those who scored too high could get bored with police work and leave soon after undergoing costly training.

The average score nationally for police officers is 21 to 22, the equivalent of an IQ of 104, or just a little above average.

Jordan alleged his rejection from the police force was discrimination. He sued the city, saying his civil rights were violated because he was denied equal protection under the law.

But the U.S. District Court found that New London had "shown a rational basis for the policy." In a ruling dated Aug. 23, the 2nd Circuit agreed. The court said the policy might be unwise but was a rational way to reduce job turnover.

Jordan has worked as a prison guard since he took the test.
  • AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 4,050
    edited November -1
    Another one:

Police Applicant's IQ Too High for the Job
    Fargo, ND - Police applicant Norman T. Griswald was told last week that he was rejected by the police department's hiring board because his scores on the entry level police exam were too high. The results of Griswald's IQ test indicated an IQ 155 - a full 15 points above what is commonly considered "genius." The hiring board stated most law enforcement officers nation wide have an average IQ of between 98 and 105.

Lt. Jim Gamble, who sits on the board, said the police policy might be unwise but is a rational way to reduce employee turnover. "The department's theory is that Mr. Griswald would get bored with police work and leave soon after undergoing intensive and costly police training," Gamble said.

Griswald, who is 29 years old, has a photographic memory and still holds the State High School wrestling record for most pins. He currently works at City-Wide Pawn and moonlights part time at the Yellow Cab Company. He said he always wanted to be a Fargo cop but will now have to consider taking a job as a tower sniper presently being offered by the Dept. of Corrections.

http://www.policeone.com/bizarre/articles/3467939-Cardboard-cop-credited-with-collar-Recruit-too-smart-for-academy-class/
  • Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by m1aguy
    Unlike some articles posted here, this is real. Notice the average IQ for cops is "only" 104. And that is the average, which means lots of them are lower than that. Not surprising, since most police depts only require a high school diploma or GED.

The average score nationally for police officers is 21 to 22, the equivalent of an IQ of 104, or just a little "above average".

Jordan has worked as a prison guard since he took the test.

There is plenty of evidence that Griswald is actually an idiot, he wanted to be a cop in Fargo, ND. [;)]
  • partisanpartisan Member Posts: 6,414
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nemesisenforcer

Now this is funny!!!! The ONLY people that worship cops are themselves and their family!!! By the way, NUNN,it didn't take me 3 years to realize being a cop was a waste of life. I really couldn't believe how egotistical cops really are, so I gave it a chance to see if I was wrong. I WASN'T!!!!!!!!
  • gesshotsgesshots Member Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    1013970-comic_vine_original_23_super.jpg
    It's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't. ~ J.B. Books
  • Sooeyman2035Sooeyman2035 Member Posts: 3,226
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by UNIVERSITY50
    Well My Dad was a cop for 33 yrs, my brother for 30 yrs, and I am on 26 yrs. I will not be going any further as I was Injuried in the line of duty saving the lifes of two young kids who's father was trying to kill them. I saved the kids but was hit and drug by the father's vehicle. I was drug for 35 feet and only broke loose when my body hit another car on the roadway knocking me loose.
    So I guess we are just a family of * Cops![B)]
    Thank you, Sir!
  • armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,478 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    These cop threads are getting retarded. Who you really need to go after are all those lazy city workers. They visit many of the same donut shops and restaurants as the cops and it takes eight of them to dig a hole. One to dig and seven to give directions. [;)][:(!][:(!][:D][:D]
  • agloreaglore Member Posts: 6,012
    edited November -1

You actually mean until his neighbors got tired of him stealing their money.
  • montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,892 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gesshots
    She is HOT [8D][8D][8D]
  • reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by montanajoe
    She is HOT [8D][8D][8D]
    Yep she is so cute, I would eat the corn out of her...oops
  • armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,478 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by reloader44mag
    quote:Originally posted by montanajoe
    She is HOT [8D][8D][8D]
    Yep she is so cute, I would eat the corn out of her...oops

Now Steve settle down.[:D][:D]
  • pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Policing is a subliminal power grab....
  • reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well he was a dumdazz to start with[:)]
  • john wjohn w Member Posts: 4,104
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jeffb1911

It must be all the study time you guys get sitting on your butt doing nothing and collecting a paycheck [;)]
  • givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    Hey, Nemsis..what's the gig?

You are a lawyer, so you must have contact with police. What is it about police that rubs you the wrong way?

Honest question, as I'm retired, live under a rock..and therefore have no contact with any P.D.

Joe
  • Old hickoryOld hickory Member Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cops are like teachers (except the cops have guns) Both jobs require more people skills than intelligence. I taught for 35 years and obviously some teachers are very high IQ and manage kids well but its not a guarantee that they will. I would say 90% of cops do a good job handling people and 10% are too "hidebound" and rigid or just have other problems. From lots of observation in life I think those percentages cover almost every occupation.
    edited November -1
    quote:It must be all the study time you guys get sitting on your butt doing nothing and collecting a paycheck

Well, SOMEBODY just seriously skinned his ignorance!

If I were that ignorant, I would try to keep mum in public, I think!
  • NOTPARSNOTPARS Member Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For Old Hickory. It must be true. I was a policeman for 10 years, until injuries and what seems like non-stop operations ended that gig, and worked graveyards, swing shift, double shifts, every holiday, weekends, in the snow, heat, drought, floods, forest fires, earthquakes, went above and beyond to help people who, if criminals hated you, victims, trashed you for not having enough ESP to know they were going to be a victim on any given time or date, and management who would Pontious Pilot you in a second and throw you to the wolves to save their behinds. Yes, I must have been stupid because then I went into education and have been a high school teacher for 19 years for the same crowd that didn't appreciate the hard work we do and can always do it better.
    edited November -1
    Yup, I am sitting on my butt collecting money, but I have two ankles that will never be right, a knee & shoulder torn out, optical damage, brain damage, severe headaches, and just about everything else was bent, twisted, & smashed. My career is over, lucky to be alive, and I would do it again if need be. That is the difference between B.S. from ignorant people and those that do the job every day. I hope your happy in your miserable lives picking apart other people and failing to ever look in the mirror to see how screwed up you are! My life is changed forever, my career is over, and I get up every morning and thank God I am alive and not a miserable person like some of you are. May God Bless you in your ignorance.
    quote:Originally posted by john w
    [ It must be all the study time you guys get sitting on your butt doing nothing and collecting a paycheck [;)]
  • NOTPARSNOTPARS Member Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    University50 Thanks for saying what needed to be said way better than I could have handled it. I've had so many operations I tell people I look like a dissection dummy. At least the dummy. I can walk but not all the time. I feel for you man.
    edited November -1
    quote:Yup, I am sitting on my butt collecting money, but I have two ankles that will never be right, a knee & shoulder torn out, optical damage, brain damage, severe headaches, and just about everything else was bent, twisted, & smashed. My career is over, lucky to be alive, and I would do it again if need be. That is the difference between B.S. from ignorant people and those that do the job every day. I hope your happy in your miserable lives picking apart other people and failing to ever look in the mirror to see how screwed up you are! My life is changed forever, my career is over, and I get up every morning and thank God I am alive and not a miserable person like some of you are. May God Bless you in your ignorance.

quote:
    Originally posted by john w
    [ It must be all the study time you guys get sitting on your butt doing nothing and collecting a paycheck

Posted by - UNIVERSITY50 on 05/03/2012 11:32:35 AM

UNIVERSITY50, I salute you sir! My six weeks off work due to a concussion pales in comparison!
  • nutfinnnutfinn Member Posts: 12,804 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    IBTL. Here in USA, I have only run in to good cops [8D] Not a single ticket yet. In Finland, everyone I run into was a knothead.
  • hunter86004hunter86004 Member Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think it would be great being a cop. Ya get to deal with the same type of idiots and dregs of society on a daily basis for most of your career. Sounds like a fun job.
    edited November -1
    You know, you would think that is the way it is, but you forget those idiots after awhile. You remember the good people the rest of your life.[;)]
    quote:Originally posted by hunter86004
    I think it would be great being a cop. Ya get to deal with the same type of idiots and dregs of society on a daily basis for most of your career. Sounds like a fun job.
  • fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    Place LOCK here _____
  • NavybatNavybat Member Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by partisan

Now this is funny!!!! The ONLY people that worship cops are themselves and their family!!! By the way, NUNN,it didn't take me 3 years to realize being a cop was a waste of life. I really couldn't believe how egotistical cops really are, so I gave it a chance to see if I was wrong. I WASN'T!!!!!!!!

Some people should engage their brains before posting.
    edited November -1
    Navy, It is just a want to be washout passing gas through his lips. As Dad use to say "It is to funny, you have to laugh"[:I]
    quote:Originally posted by Navybat
    quote:Originally posted by partisan

Some people should engage their brains before posting.
  • Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For those of you that don't get it,.....the OP was very careful to not say anything that violates a stated rule of GB.

Seems to me he made a brief statement to get you guys all riled up.
    I know the intent, and I disagree fully, but he didn't violate any rules.

Did I mention I can't stand attorney's?[:0][:D]
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner