In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

How do dogs know ...

JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
edited September 2012 in General Discussion
How do they know things they can't see or hear? Things they shouldn't be able to know.

This afternoon I was in the front yard and a big white dog came running over the hill like the devil himself was after him. He kept running until he got to the top of the next hill and sat down. I watched him to see what was going on. He sat there for about a minute, and a girl or young woman came over the hill from the opposite direction, patted him on the head and they continued on together in the direction he came from.

He ran for about a mile that I know of, and I don't know how far before I saw him. There is no way he could have known that girl was coming.
The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.

Comments

• dav1965dav1965 Member Posts: 26,543 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a dog that would go sit at the edge of the yard every day at about 3:15 and wait for my kid to get off the bus at about 3:20. I have no idea how he knew. That dog would not let anybody touch my kid.
  • MercuryMercury Member Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My dog did that when I was a kid. I had that dog for 17 years, and I STILL miss her, 25+ years later. She was the smartest dog.

I had a paper route, that made a giant route, and ended up back within a half block of where it started on part of it. She'd walk with me most of the route, then take a short cut, and wait for me to do the long part! Smartest dog I've ever seen.

RIP Trixie.

Merc

quote:Originally posted by dav1965
    I had a dog that would go sit at the edge of the yard every day at about 3:15 and wait for my kid to get off the bus at about 3:20. I have no idea how he knew. That dog would not let anybody touch my kid.
  • nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 35,988 ******
    edited November -1
    Jake knows what time it is, and he knows when something isn't quite right with Dawnie. When she was recovering from foot surgery, and in some pain, he would sit or stand next to her, and let her squeeze his neck. He would go with her wherever she went, and he let her put her hand on his shoulders and lean on him.

One day, Bry was running in the hallway. It is tiled and slick, and Dawnie told him to stop running. Bry, being 5 years old, did not comply, but the next time he ran down the hallway, Jake caught up to him and body-checked him into the wall.
  • montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,893 ******
    edited November -1
    ...some things I don't question, I just smile because they are,,,[:)][:)][:)][^][^][^]
  • cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,401 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We humans think we are so smart! Some things we fail to explain. I've experienced similar behavoir in my Bullmastifs.
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I had a German Shepard that waited for me on the front porch everyday after school. He just knew what time the bus came [:)]
  • SawzSawz Member Posts: 6,049
    edited November -1
    they can sniff out cancer too
  • mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    Dogs are superior to us in many ways...
  • 1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:There is no way he could have known that girl was coming.

sure there is, he read her facebook update [:D]
  • gesshotsgesshots Member Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    [^][^][^][;)]

Notice the 2nd quote in my sig line.
    It's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't. ~ J.B. Books
  • nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 35,988 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Dogs are superior to us in many ways...

Yep. Loyalty, devotion, acceptance, unconditional love. Traits lacking in many humans.
  • Lucky_LeftyLucky_Lefty Member Posts: 7,971
    edited November -1
    thats why I got a lab, I heard they make great therapy dogs. and she knows when I am i a bad mood before I do.
  • rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
    edited November -1
    I believe all animals have
    highly acute senses and
    can "detect" things that prolly
    at one time we had a chance of detecting.
    We need the phone book and farmers almanac
    now.
  • swopjanswopjan Member Posts: 3,292
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rong
    I believe all animals have
    highly acute senses and
    can "detect" things that prolly
    at one time we had a chance of detecting.
    We need the phone book and farmers almanac
    now.

What's a "phone book"?
  • rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
    edited November -1
    What's a "phone book"?

The thick book in the
    junk draw that keeps getting
    in the way.[:)]