In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

A-fib combined with Tachycardia,

84Bravo184Bravo1 Member Posts: 11,109
edited April 2018 in General Discussion
Will put you on your *. Very irregular heartbeat, combined with 220 BPM, will do that to you.

Left the dog out on the front trolley line, while I ran to the grocery store. When I came back after $180 worth, [:0][B)] my dog (Buddy) leaping around like a freakin nut. Six trips (100' or so each,) while dodging and playing with the dog, while carrying bags in.

Hit me all at once. (I did not take my heart pill this AM, day off.) Had to take a knee, (or hit the ground.) Dog licking me in the face, jumping around me. Wanting love. Hard not to laugh.

Concentration and deep regular breaths, got my heart to click back to a normal rhythm.

Isn't getting Old great? [^]

Comments

• HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    yay...

I was introduced to A-Fib by fainting dead away one Day, while leaving a buddy's place. Was walking to the Car - felt it coming on, and leaned on my elbows at the hood/front window - woke up seconds later in the rainwater gutter!! Buddy said it was "graceful"
  • 320090T320090T Member Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have it, took awhile to figure it out. I take Flecinide 2x a day, no problems. Buddys 15 year daughter has it so some whippersnappers can get it too.
  • 84Bravo184Bravo1 Member Posts: 11,109
    edited November -1
    Yeah, bad genetic Mitral Valve. 11 hour operation in 2005. Heart stopped for 8 hours I've been told.

I take Dil Tiazm. Works pretty good, when I take it. Day off today, got out of my normal pop a pill before leaving the house routine.

Got a nice migraine setting in now. Somewhat normal after an episode.

Risk of a Stroke, skyrockets when you are having an episode. That scares me far worse than just croaking out. Saw what my Dad had to go through, last 10 of his life. He was much stronger/better with it than I could ever be. That scares the crap out of me, Pretty much more than anything.
  • Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You should have a scrip for an anti-arrhythmic to carry around at the least. Propafenone is an old tried and true version that used to be called Rhythmol.

Instead of taking it daily, you use a 'pill in the pocket' approach if needed. I assume you are already on an anticoagulant or anti platelet drug since you have valve issues.

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa041233
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Take it slow bro...
    "What is truth?'
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Marc1301
    You should have a scrip for an anti-arrhythmic to carry around at the least. Propafenone is an old tried and true version that used to be called Rhythmol.

Instead of taking it daily, you use a 'pill in the pocket' approach if needed. I assume you are already on an anticoagulant or anti platelet drug since you have valve issues.

Thanks for the insight Marc. I'll look into/discuss those with my Cardiologist.

No anticoagulant or anti-platelet currently. Ive been told my Heart (overall) is extremely healthy. BP low, cholesterol low, everything test out good. Just the bad valve (repaired) and the occasional A-fib, Tachycardia episodes. I will ask about them. Thanks.
  • beneteaubeneteau Member Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Take Amiodarone for my a-fib.
    0M9InwN.gif[
  • Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 84Bravo1

No anticoagulant or anti-platelet currently. Ive been told my Heart (overall) is extremely healthy. BP low, cholesterol low, everything test out good. Just the bad valve (repaired) and the occasional A-fib, Tachycardia episodes. I will ask about them. Thanks.

I know it's none of my biz, but I'm shocked your cardio doc doesn't at least have you on low dose aspirin daily considering you evidently have paroxysmal atrial fibrillation.

Might want to think about starting it.
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
    edited November -1

I know it's none of my biz, but I'm shocked your cardio doc doesn't at least have you on low dose aspirin daily considering you evidently have paroxysmal atrial fibrillation.

Might want to think about starting it.

Thanks Marc. I will look into it. It's never been suggested to me, but it couldn't hurt.
  • jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,583 ******
    edited November -1
    Dang, Ken. Take care of yourself. Buddy needs you.
  • jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,195 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 220 BPM sounds like Flutter (AFL) in the right Atrium chamber instead of Afib (AF) in the left Atrium chamber. Have you ever had a 12 lead EKG while the fast and/or irregular heartbeat was going on to see what is happening? The 220 BPM sounds fast for Afib. IF the Cardizem (calcium channel blocker) you are taking is controlling it I wouldn't worry much about it as long as the meds are not slowing you heart rate down to much and your episode doesn't last very long. You are probably taking either 120mg, 180mg or 240mg. If it continues to get worse and meds don't control it well you might want to consider a heart ablation procedure.

Do you have one of these to see what you heart rate is, especially resting HR at night?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Finger-tip-Pulse-Oximeter-CMS50DL-blue-Rubber-case-Blood-Oxymeter-US-battery-FDA/112899758023?epid=1339878348&hash=item1a495997c7:g:OsgAAOSwtEpalRbV
  • mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    take better care of yourself - dont end up in an ambulance or the hospital - currently the bed next to me / in my room in the icu is empty...

mike
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Isn't getting Old great?

It sucks, but it does beat the only available alternative.
  • rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
    edited November -1
    If one's heart stopped for 8 hrs wouldn't the flesh decay
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rong

Not sure of the exact procedure/equipment, But my understanding is that blood is continuously routed through your system while the heart is stopped. How else could it be accomplished?

I'm sure some here, know more about it than I do.
  • mjrfd99mjrfd99 Member Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mrmike08075
    take better care of yourself - dont end up in an ambulance or the hospital - currently the bed next to me / in my room in the icu is empty...

mike

Sorry to hear they got you again.
    Big prayers and Happy Easter Mike.
  • gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1

Not sure of the exact procedure/equipment, But my understanding is that blood is continuously routed through your system while the heart is stopped. How else could it be accomplished?

A heart/lung machine pumps the oxygenated blood while they gut you like a fish.
    Make more, smaller loads of groceries, or park closer to the cart you made for Buddy; let him bring in the bacon!
    I get woozy after restocking my bottled water stash; currently have enough to last until election day, but I buy 3-4 32packs every shopping trip. Suckers are heavy, two at a time!
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gunnut505

A heart/lung machine pumps the oxygenated blood while they gut you like a fish.
    Make more, smaller loads of groceries, or park closer to the cart you made for Buddy; let him bring in the bacon!
    I get woozy after restocking my bottled water stash; currently have enough to last until election day, but I buy 3-4 32packs every shopping trip. Suckers are heavy, two at a time!

It was not all about carrying the groceries. I believe it to be more jumping around and playing with the Dog. (Getting my heart rate up.) It's not brought on by strenuous physical exertion, while that will sometimes bring it on. It's sneaky.

Sometimes while just sitting on the couch watching TV, it will hit me out of the blue.

Feels like (As has been so eloquently described here on these forums.) "A large fish flopping around in your chest." Good stuff. [:D]
  • Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Take it easy you don't want to stroke out.
    RLTW

edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Sam06
    Take it easy you don't want to stroke out.

Thanks Sam. I hear you Brother. My worst nightmare. (Stroke.)
  • Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mine too.

My Dad is in a Asst Living facility and there are a bunch of stroked out people there.
    RLTW

edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Sam06
    Mine too.

My Dad is in a Asst Living facility and there are a bunch of stroked out people there.

I'm very sorry to hear of your issues with your Dad. Ive read them, but did not post to them, because had nothing helpful to add. You have been in my thoughts and Prayers though Brother.

One of the main reasons I moved back down to this area, was in order to help with my Dad. It wax really tough to watch the deterioration.

My worst nightmare by far is to stroke out. I would much rather croak out.

Best to You and your Dad Sam.

-Ken-