In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

hot water heater help

trc313trc313 Member Posts: 3,475
edited December 2011 in General Discussion
Will moving a water heater increase the chances of it not working properly?
I have had work done in my utility room and the water heater has been moved and drained 2-3 occassions. Now that the work is done it seems the water is not as hot as it used to be. I have even raised the temp on the heater 2 notches. Sometimes I can take a shower with it completely all hot and still not be that hot.... it used to scald you if you got close to 3/4 hot!! It is a natural gas heater

Comments

• jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,583 ******
    edited November -1
    Never had a gas one, but it would seem that the temperature control is malfuntioning. The heat source would be constant, the control would cycle it on and off to maintain a set temperature.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    is it gas or electric[?] The electric have TWO heating elements and one thermostat. sounds like one element has stopped working .if the water level got low with the power on it will expose the element and it will burn out.
  • dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,935 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by perry shooter
    is it gas or electric[?] The electric have TWO heating elements and one thermostat. sounds like one element has stopped working .if the water level got low with the power on it will expose the element and it will burn out.

Sometimes it helps to read the post. Don
  • jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,195 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not familiar with gas hot water heaters, but electric ones I always open the pop off valve until it is completely full of water before power is cut on.
  • HappyNanoqHappyNanoq Member Posts: 12,023
    edited November -1
    Hot water doesn't need to be heated.

You might want to look into a cold water heater, or a hot water cooler.!
  • jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,583 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by HappyNanoq

But....if you heat it, it ain't cold water anymore....
  • CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Look at the fire and see if it is nice and blue. If you shook a load of junk onto the burner or into the orifice the flame will be off, usually yellow. That causes carbon buildup and further reduces heat transfer besides being a fire hazard.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bad dip tube. costs five bucks to fix.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jimdeere

But....if you heat it, it ain't cold water anymore....

That's right.

But you can't heat hot water.!
    You can heat cold water - or cool hot water.
  • JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    there could be a dial or a knob that controls water tempature. Maybe you turned it down while moving it?

my dial is white with a red mark to show which temp it is set to.
  • dongizmodongizmo Member Posts: 14,477 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost

+1
    Yep, will keep breaking off till you will not have enough hot water to wash your hands....
    Don
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.
    edited November -1
    Originally posted by HappyNanoq

Depends on how you define hot. 110 degrees is hot to me, so if you heat that to 212 degress it will boil.
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My guess, moving it around my have knocked off corrosion off the tank wall adding to any "Stuck" sediment at the bottom of the tank. All mine that I have had are natural gas.

When the tank has a ton of crap at the bottom you can hear a thump/gurgle noise as it heats up. More crap, the louder it gets.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JnRockwall

Depends on how you define hot. 110 degrees is hot to me, so if you heat that to 212 degress it will boil.

But then it's not a hot water HEATER - it's a BOILER [;)]
  • SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    seriously,
    turn off the cold water feed and drain 10 gallons or so from the tank. that should clear all the sediment from the bottom of the tank. turn the feed back on and run it up to temp. check the water to see of it's hot enough.
    if it's not, crank the thermostat to max and re check water temp in an hour. this is a good time to check the burner and air intake, like the capt suggested. if your flame is moor yellow than blue, pass a pipe cleaner thru the air mixing hole in the gas line near the burner.
    blue flame and still no hot water reserve, replace the thermostat
    just my experiences, i'm not an expert.

tom
    edited November -1

OK, then heat it to 211 degress to where it will be hotter than 110 degress and you have then heated hot water. [:o)]

OR if hot water doesn't need to be heated then how does it get hot?
    edited November -1

OK, then heat it to 211 degress to where it will be hotter than 110 degress and you have then heated hot water. [:o)]

OR if hot water doesn't need to be heated then how does it get hot?

The 110degree water is then the "cold water" being heated to near boilingpoint at 211...

All is relative. [:o)]
  • 1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    im leaning towards the captains idea, new gas water heaters are sealed , older ones have plates on them and are removable to light the pilot, newer one also require more updraft, if your not blue or have a few holes clogged it will not heat properly, check your flu when it on see if you smell raw gas, and check your flame , not just for blue, but complete light

but i have to ask, i can see relocating a water heater, but 3x????, reminds me of a bad scene on gilligan's island mrs howel has him moving crap around all day to see how it looks[:D]
  • trc313trc313 Member Posts: 3,475
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dongizmo

+1
    Yep, will keep breaking off till you will not have enough hot water to wash your hands....
    Don

I have not heard of a dip tube. Where is this located? I have increased the temp on the thermostat by 2 notches. I have not MAXED out the thermostat but I think the water hould be the same temp as it was before it got moved. Increasing the thermostat won't remedy the problem that has been created.

I will drain some off the tank to see if there is sediment and check the flame in the morning.It has always made an odd gurgling sound when the burner is fired up.
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You need to pay the gas bill. [:o)][:o)]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by trc313

+1
    Don

I have not heard of a dip tube. Where is this located? I have increased the temp on the thermostat by 2 notches. I have not MAXED out the thermostat but I think the water hould be the same temp as it was before it got moved. Increasing the thermostat won't remedy the problem that has been created.

I will drain some off the tank to see if there is sediment and check the flame in the morning.It has always made an odd gurgling sound when the burner is fired up.

It is basically a (plastic) extension of your tanks cold water inlet, it extends down into the tank, so cold water coming in enters the tank towards the bottom of the tank, the shorter the tube, the less hot water you get....
    Don
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.
  • dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,935 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the shorter the tube, the less hot water you get....
    Don

Are we still talking water heaters? Don
  • pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Buy a new heater,help the economy...[:D]
  • countryfarmercountryfarmer Member Posts: 4,552
    edited November -1
    have not heard of a dip tube. Where is this located? I have increased the temp on the thermostat by 2 notches. I have not MAXED out the thermostat but I think the water hould be the same temp as it was before it got moved. Increasing the thermostat won't remedy the problem that has been created.

The dip tube is on the cold water intake, it is a long tube that sends the cold water coming in to the bottom of the tank. It keeps the cold water from mixing with the hot water at the top of the tank and cooling it off.
    edited November -1
    Originally posted by bpost

+1
    Don

It is basically a (plastic) extension of your tanks cold water inlet, it extends down into the tank, so cold water coming in enters the tank towards the bottom of the tank, the shorter the tube, the less hot water you get....
    Don

Is this something I can pick up at lowes? So if I understand correctly, over time the tube breaks down? I will check this tomorrow also....thanks for the ideas guys
    edited November -1
    Lowes, Home Depot, Ace Hardware, Graingers, any plumbing supply...How old is the tank? you might want to check the anode rod also..
    Don
  • lee shermanlee sherman Member Posts: 405 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Grandma always smacked that crap with a big hammer whenever it malfunctioned. She could cuss like a drunken sailor to boot!![:D][;)]
    edited November -1
    Lowes, Home Depot, Ace Hardware, Graingers, any plumbing supply...How old is the tank? you might want to check the anode rod also..
    Don

I replaced the anode rod and the pressure release valve a couple years ago.
    edited November -1
    Don

edited November -1
    Don

edited November -1
    Don

I don't see one on Lowes web site, it's on Home Depots..
    http://tinyurl.com/7bwb388
    Don