In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Hey Kasey, i want to thin the herd.......

SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
edited December 2011 in General Discussion
We've talked about this before, you selling some guns for me.
problem is My FFL guy wants $30 plus shipping and insurance, per gun, to send 'em to you.[:0]
is there any way to send guns to you cheaper?
anyone else shipped multiple guns for less than usual costs?
thanks
tom

Comments

• dongizmodongizmo Member Posts: 14,477 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just ship them to her...
    Don
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.
  • SawzSawz Member Posts: 6,049
    edited November -1
    Drop ship from you to the FFl of the buyer you just do the shipping yourself maybe?
  • bhale187bhale187 Member Posts: 7,798
    edited November -1
    Long guns can go USPS, which is pretty reasonably priced, just have to be declared.

Handguns would have to go private carrier (UPS/fedex) since you don't have an FFL. And they make you do overnight air which is expensive.

$30 to your FFL is probably the cheapest way to go because he can USPS the handguns at a significantly lower cost than you can overnight them.
  • Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,616 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I sent you an email with my address. You can ship directly to me. I can email a copy of my FFL for your records. My email is McKaygunsales@gmail.com I can even email over a shipping label if you need and all you would have to do is drop it off or arrange for the box to be picked up by USPS or Fed Ex....it depends on what type gun you are shipping.
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    kasey, that's the problem, costs me $50-75 to ship a gun thru fedex.
    does it matter ohm many guns are in the box?
    ie, can i send 10 guns for 75 bucks?
    i'll email you. i know we talked about this before, but i'm getting old and senile....
    tom
  • woodhogwoodhog Member Posts: 13,115 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    looks like it may be time for a road trip?
    edited November -1
    quote:looks like it may be time for a road trip?

actually thinking about it. i was out that way last year to race at talledega but we couldn't hook up.
    this would be a good reason to go again.[;)]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Spartacus
    kasey, that's the problem, costs me $50-75 to ship a gun thru fedex.
    does it matter ohm many guns are in the box?
    ie, can i send 10 guns for 75 bucks?
    i'll email you. i know we talked about this before, but i'm getting old and senile....
    tom

You can put as many as you want, it will just cost more per LB & Insurance.... Do not ship without insurance..
    Don
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.
    edited November -1
    quote:You can put as many as you want, it will just cost more per LB & Insurance.... Do not ship without insurance..
    Don

thanks Don!
    just what i needed to know.
    i have to ship thru a fedex hub around here; 1 1/2 hour drive. i'll bring the guns up and check the cost/weight.....

tom
  • andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Box them up tightly, pad well, and address clearly. Ship them by UPS or FedEx GROUND, not AIR. That will be about the cheapest. NOTE: Under federal law, you can legally use GROUND, but if you disclose the contents to the carrier (no you don't have to), they can and will invoke their company policies and make you use the expensive AIR shipping.
    Add them to your own insurance policy before shipping, just in case. FedEx and UPS are notorious for fighting collection on any firearms loss. This way, in the event they are lost or damaged, you collect from your insurance company and THEIR lawyers go after the carrier for reimbursement. [:D]
    edited November -1
    I have been trying to get someone at Fed Ex to authorize my account to ship handguns, but they haven't. The handguns would go cheaper by US Postal service....the long guns would be better to go Fed Ex. I wouldn't ship the handguns by Fed Ex because their insurance wouldn't cover them.

The flat rate boxes you get from the post office are perfectly fine for handguns. You don't tell the US Postal Service employees exactly what you are shipping.....that is NOT because shipping handguns to me would be illegal, but it is because most of the workers at the post office don't know their own rules and regulations.

I can print out some labels and have them picked up if you need. I can even ship you long boxes if you need. However I can help make this easier for you I don't mind!

I am ALL FOR a visit if you decide to take that pretty little red car on a joy ride to Alabama!!!![:D]
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
    edited November -1
    Agreed. USPS and common carrier GROUND are the most cost efficient. I always use my own insurance. It saves a potential fight. Fortunately, I have never had a gun lost by either. [:D]
  • MFIMFI Member Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Doesnt he have to fill out a form the post office uses to say that he is abiding by the rules to ship a firearm ? Forgot the form number..

quote:Originally posted by Locust Fork
    I have been trying to get someone at Fed Ex to authorize my account to ship handguns, but they haven't. The handguns would go cheaper by US Postal service....the long guns would be better to go Fed Ex. I wouldn't ship the handguns by Fed Ex because their insurance wouldn't cover them.

The flat rate boxes you get from the post office are perfectly fine for handguns. You don't tell the US Postal Service employees exactly what you are shipping.....that is NOT because shipping handguns to me would be illegal, but it is because most of the workers at the post office don't know their own rules and regulations.

I can print out some labels and have them picked up if you need. I can even ship you long boxes if you need. However I can help make this easier for you I don't mind!

I am ALL FOR a visit if you decide to take that pretty little red car on a joy ride to Alabama!!!![:D]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by andrewsw16
    Box them up tightly, pad well, and address clearly. Ship them by UPS or FedEx GROUND, not AIR. That will be about the cheapest. NOTE: Under federal law, you can legally use GROUND, but if you disclose the contents to the carrier (no you don't have to), they can and will invoke their company policies and make you use the expensive AIR shipping.
    Add them to your own insurance policy before shipping, just in case. FedEx and UPS are notorious for fighting collection on any firearms loss. This way, in the event they are lost or damaged, you collect from your insurance company and THEIR lawyers go after the carrier for reimbursement. [:D]

What is "Your own insurance policy?" where do you get this?
    Don
  • scottm21166scottm21166 Member Posts: 20,723
    edited November -1
    you might just list them yourself...it is pretty easy especially if you start at a buck with no reserve. in 2 weeks you will trade the herd for a pocket full of cash and your FFL will be really happy too!
  • austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,829 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by scottm21166
    you might just list them yourself...it is pretty easy especially if you start at a buck with no reserve. in 2 weeks you will trade the herd for a pocket full of cash and your FFL will be really happy too!
    +1
  • gjshawgjshaw Member Posts: 14,697 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shipped Kasey a box full of long rifles a couple year back from my local post office. It wasn't that big of a deal. I put 10 or so in a big box and packed them real good in a blanket and she got them with no problems. I wasn't aware that an individual could ship a pistol thru the us mail even to a ffl dealer. I thought that it had to go by ups or fed-x. I guess that shows what little I know about shipping pistols.
  • shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You have no interest in selling them locally? Lots of folks in my area sell guns in the Trading Post/classifieds. i do it on occasion when i don;t feel like messing with shipping.
  • MBKMBK Member Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you violate fedex policy and ship ground instead of air, then there will be No Insurance coverage.
    edited November -1
    quote:you might just list them yourself...it is pretty easy especially if you start at a buck with no reserve. in 2 weeks you will trade the herd for a pocket full of cash and your FFL will be really happy too!

honestly, i don't have time to do multiple listings and kasey does a much better job than i could with pics. I think her listings will bring higher prices too.[;)]
  • Ox190Ox190 Member Posts: 2,782 ✭✭
    edited November -1

Has she not gotten back in touch with you Kasey?
    edited November -1
    Nope....I haven't heard anything from Fed Ex since I first spoke to them on this a few months back. I ship a LOT and if they would allow handguns I am certain it would be VERY beneficial to them. Especially since the truck comes here every day anyway.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MBK
    If you violate fedex policy and ship ground instead of air, then there will be No Insurance coverage.

Their insurance usually does you no good anyway. They rarely, if ever, pay off on ANY firearms damage or loss. Their position is that if it got damaged, it was because YOU did not pack it right and if it got lost, YOU did not address it right. Once or twice I have heard of someone who successfully fought them. But, usually, you are out of luck with THEIR insurance.
    That is why I always use my own insurance when I ship GROUND. [:)] Then I don't sweat it. Fortunately, they (UPS/FedEX) have NEVER lost any of my packages.
  • Ox190Ox190 Member Posts: 2,782 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nope....I haven't heard anything from Fed Ex since I first spoke to them on this a few months back. I ship a LOT and if they would allow handguns I am certain it would be VERY beneficial to them. Especially since the truck comes here every day anyway.

Do you still have my email at work? If you do email me and tell me you haven't heard anything so I can follow up. I will email you to make sure you have it.
    edited November -1
    I have so many emails....send me a quick one over and I will respond to yours if you don't mind. My email is mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Only a licensed FFL can ship a pistol thru the USPS, an individual can not. You were correct, us non licensed guys have to spend the big $$ and ship over night air.quote:Originally posted by gjshaw
    I shipped Kasey a box full of long rifles a couple year back from my local post office. It wasn't that big of a deal. I put 10 or so in a big box and packed them real good in a blanket and she got them with no problems. I wasn't aware that an individual could ship a pistol thru the us mail even to a ffl dealer. I thought that it had to go by ups or fed-x. I guess that shows what little I know about shipping pistols.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by toad67
    Only a licensed FFL can ship a pistol thru the USPS, an individual can not. You were correct, us non licensed guys have to spend the big $$ and ship over night air.

...or, as explained above, by the less expensive GROUND option. Fortunately, we still live where we have SOME choices. Not many, but some. [:D]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by andrewsw16
    quote:Originally posted by MBK

Their insurance usually does you no good anyway. They rarely, if ever, pay off on ANY firearms damage or loss. Their position is that if it got damaged, it was because YOU did not pack it right and if it got lost, YOU did not address it right. Once or twice I have heard of someone who successfully fought them. But, usually, you are out of luck with THEIR insurance.
    That is why I always use my own insurance when I ship GROUND. [:)] Then I don't sweat it. Fortunately, they (UPS/FedEX) have NEVER lost any of my packages.

And again, what is "your own" insurance? Link?
    Don
    edited November -1
    I have a rider on my homeowner's policy with USAA. [:D]

edited: (so I could call them and get the dollar figures.)
    I pay $75 /year for up to $5000 no-deductible claims. I can edit the list of covered guns at any time. So, I keep my best guns on that policy since my basic policy has a $1000 deductible. The rider has $0 deductible. So, before I ship a gun by GROUND, I edit my coverage list with the addition of that gun. At only $75 per year for $5000 coverage, it beats the heck out of the cr@p shoot you get when insuring with the carrier. [:D] I confirmed with the USAA rep a few minutes ago that THEY would pay me off with no complications and then THEY would go after the carrier for reimbursement. They have a huge staff of attornies they need to keep busy anyway. [}:)][:D]
  • givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    MFI..the form is on the link below. It's the USPS form '1508'. It involves handguns only. Not long-guns. And the form is not to be used by non-FFL's.

Now declaration..The postal service says a declaration must be made so that the firearm can be inspected to insure that it is unloaded.

Now, the clincher: You either: 1. Have to arrive with an unsealed box (effectively going against the 'no firearms on premisis' rule), or 2. be prepared to unseal, then re-seal the box.

There is no record kept of a firearm having been declared, folks! No log, no recording of SerNo, no anything!

So, once you leave the facility, it's a non-event, as the declaration has not been recorded for posterity.

What that means to me, is that I faithfully, and honestly answer the standard 'four questions' asked of me by the clerk. Nothing more, nothing less. Here's the link Best, Joe
    http://www.usps.com/forms/_pdf/ps1508.pdf

quote:Originally posted by MFI
    Doesnt he have to fill out a form the post office uses to say that he is abiding by the rules to ship a firearm ? Forgot the form number..