In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

trek nation

SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
edited December 2011 in General Discussion
a history of gene rodenberry's star trek on SCI channel now.
i was 8 yrs old when it first aired. 9pm on sunday. my folks let me stay up "just this once".
i was hooked and my folks let me watch it every week.
they thought it was an "intelligent" show and had values.
i wrote 50 letters to the network when they announced cancellation after the second season.
i'm still a fan to this day.
any old trekkies here?

tom

Comments

• p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    Yep. Read everything printed in the sixties and seventies about Star Trek. Got the albums, the TV Guides, the comic books, the models, etc. Lots of early NASA stuff too.
  • KSUmarksmanKSUmarksman Member Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    TNG was my Trek, was a kid when that was on, thought it was the greatest thing ever. Part of me still thinks so [:D]

Actually pretty amazing how much of the computing aspect of TNG came true... I joke that Picard was the original "Kindle" user [;)]
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep, I watched the original Trek (I was in high school, no bedtime issue). Next Gen was my favorite, and I liked DS Nine as well. I thought Enterprise deserved to last longer and Voyager to die much sooner.
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Loved the original series- had a hard time getting into the others.
  • gesshotsgesshots Member Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sept. 8, 1966 - June 3, 1969. 3 Seasons / 80 episodes. [^]

Of the sequels, I liked Next Generation and Voyager
    It's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't. ~ J.B. Books
  • jamesjojamesjo Member Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Live long, and prosper!
  • Waco WaltzWaco Waltz Member Posts: 10,828 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I loved the original series. Also really liked Space 1999.
  • oldemagicsoldemagics Member Posts: 5,821 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    yep
    liked the follow up shows till DS9, just couldnt get into that one for some reason
    wife got me comunicators once for b-day (actually walky-talkies)
    they were the style from the early shows
  • plinkedplinked Member Posts: 401 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My mother in law use to call me when a rerun of the original series was on and then hold the phone out for a few seconds so I could here her tv and thats all it took for me to tell her what episode it was...pretty sad but what the heck [:D]
  • bartman45bartman45 Member Posts: 3,008 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was in college in the late 60's, and every Tuesday after classes was time for a pizza, Star Trek and Combat....
  • SWAT 50SWAT 50 Member Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yea, I'm a trekie from way back, I even read a lot of the paperbacks.

Went to a few conventions, met Chechov, Worf, and Yum, Deanna Troi.
  • pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Never could get into Science Fiction....Still love historical stuff!All the way back to the Nile Civilization....
  • 1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    star trek can actually get pretty deep, if we could only have honored the prime directive, there would have never been a war in the middle east

{we meddled in a culture that was not advanced as us by 2,000 years}

original start trek was good, had a hard time warming up to tng, then after awhile loved it, same as voyager{my favorite}, ds9, but no matter how much i try i cant get into enterprise , although the Vulcan chick is hot
  • mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    Never liked Startrac.

Though I did develop strange feelings for the black chick...
  • OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    never got into it[xx(]
    edited November -1
    Trouble with tribles was good, but the DS9 episode that went back to that space station was great.
  • KSUmarksmanKSUmarksman Member Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by SWAT 50
    Trouble with tribles was good, but the DS9 episode that went back to that space station was great.

"trials and tribblations" [:D]

very well made episode, pretty funny too
  • SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    none of the later series really made the grade, as far i i was concerned. some of the movies had potential, but didn't quite make it either.
    EXCEPT "wrath of Kahn". that was like a continuation of the series.
    "They put creatures in our ears..."

tom
  • Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    I liked "I, Mudd" [:p]

Mudd_the_First.jpg
  • gesshotsgesshots Member Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Seven-of-Nine-and-T-Pol-seven-of-nine-15107790-320-213.jpg

Seven of Nine & T'Pol [:p]
    It's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't. ~ J.B. Books
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gesshots
    Seven-of-Nine-and-T-Pol-seven-of-nine-15107790-320-213.jpg

Seven of Nine or T'Pol [:p]

T'pol
  • countryfarmercountryfarmer Member Posts: 4,552
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by plinked

My mother in law use to call me when a rerun of the original series was on and then hold the phone out for a few seconds so I could here her tv and thats all it took for me to tell her what episode it was...pretty sad but what the heck [:D]

Sadly, I can about do that too...[:D]
  • NOSLEEPNOSLEEP Member Posts: 4,526
    edited November -1
    I'm just an hours drive from Vulcan. Live long and prosper...
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I like them all. I got into it when I was 11 or so. That was in about 1990. My thoughts on all of them:

TOS: best morals, making allegories to the times. Cheesy sets, often over the top acting.
    TNG: consistently best acting and scripts. First 2 seasons were garbage, 7th was shaky, but a great finale.
    DS9: also got a slow start, but picked up, ended up as my favorite.
    Voyager: The less said the better. I didn't hate it but it didn't measure up to the others I felt.
    Enterprise: seasons 1 and 2 were, eh, not horrible but nothing good. Season 3 was good. Season 4 was fantastic- and they pulled the plug.

Movies: TMP was overly long, re-hashed a lot of material from the show- but great to be back!
    WOK: Outstanding in every way, from acting to morals to thought provoking situations.
    TSFS: quite heavy. Good wrap up to the WOK, but a bit slow.
    TVH: Fun.
    TheFF (for some reason auto censor is replacing T F F with {burp}..?): in the greatest tradition of the show. Labeled a flop but it just had the misfortune of coming after the exceptional 2,3,4 series.
    TUC: Wonderful movie, great tie in to TNG with Klingons as friends, changing times. My favorite ST movie.

NG movies
    Generations: eh, ok. I didn't mind that they killed Kirk, it just should have been less hollow and more epic. Dying on the Ent. B saving the ship one last time would actually have been better.
    FC: Best of the NG movies.
    STI: would have made a very good NextGen ep, but as a movie it was weak.
    STN: ditto on the above. Nice to see the Romulans get their own movie. Good battle scene at the end. Data died needlessly.

Star Trek (new): Nothing redeeming whatsoever. Pure shoot 'em up shlock, Roddenberry rolled over in his grave and groaned when this one came out.
    edited November -1
    So who is you guys's favorite Trek woman of all time?

Mine...Catherine Hicks, From The Voyage Home.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0382819/

She never wore a bra, and the water was cold. Nummy,nummy,nummy.
  • TheBrassManTheBrassMan Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Was 5 years old when Star Trek premiered.
    Been hooked ever since.
    Have almost every episode of every series.
    We have every movie[:D]

Now as far as Seven of Nine, because of her we have Obama[xx(]

Favorite Star Trek female, Dr. Crusher, Gates McFadden. have to love the redheads.
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Favorite female? Nicole de Boer. Ezri Dax. Not that she was the hottest, but because she was hot AND we got to see her character develop so much. Hottest? Majel Barrett as Nurse Chapel or Grace Lee Whitney (if I block out the hair) as Yeoman Rand.

Which one would I want to get freaky with the most? Female changeling. Ugly in her normal form but she can become... well anything, anyone, any shape.... hmm!
  • Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    Susan Oliver was pretty hot in "the Cage".

tve13185-19661124-320.gif
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by auctionplug
    So no one is going to say Deanna Troi [that always seemed to wear a different uniform than all other crew members] [;)]

or

Terry Farrell [Jadzia Dax]

???

How could I forget her?
  • TheBrassManTheBrassMan Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by auctionplug
    So no one is going to say Deanna Troi [that always seemed to wear a different uniform than all other crew members] [;)]

or

Terry Farrell [Jadzia Dax]

???

Can not forget Terry Farrell[:p]