In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

AR Lowers and uppers

OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
edited January 2014 in General Discussion
Is S&W a good lower??? I know nothing about ar's and I want to build one. I got a chance to buy a lower for 199.00. Is that a good price??? What is a good upper to buy??? I am going to build it for plinking in 5.56 I might buy a different upper for hunting. What is a good caliber for the ar to hunt with??? Like I said, I have never owned one and know zero about them.All info on ar's is appricated. Oakie

Comments

• 1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i have many that i built, my main criteria overall is a matching brand of upper and lower, why ?

because if i ever have to sell one, or my heirs need to sell one neither will get beat up on the price, it is simple and easy to do by keeping the brands the same, cost is not much different, maybe 50 bucks, franken guns does not sell as well as a full brand name, period

look at the price of the upper before you decide on a lower, the lower is only as good as the internal parts you put into it

i have several of the following

del-ton
    bushmaster
    cmmg
    stag
    dpms

all are just fine

edit:all sre 5.56 chambered, most common nato caliber, shtf and ammo will still be plentiful purchased bartered or captured
  • montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,893 ******
    edited November -1
    ...I'd be hitting up your dad to get the one he has,,,,[;)][;)][;)]
  • JeffreyD103JeffreyD103 Member Posts: 149 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oakie, $199.00 for a complete lower or a stripped lower? I'm assuming this is a complete. I've never seen a S&W lower for sale by itself so I don't know how to advise. This link might help you get started: Lower Receiver Assembly Guide.

Your best bet is to open up Google, type in "BUILD AR15" and then get ready to read for a few days. It'll be fun.

I just got finished [putting together an Anderson stripped lower, a PSA enhanced lower parts kit and a PSA A3 20" upper on top of that. Good stuff.
  • wwiimanwwiiman Member Posts: 95 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can buy stripped S&W loweres here for $140
    as for the upper I always look for the keyhole forgery mark on them
    the mark looks like an old timey keyhole that you would put a skeleton key in back in the day I have seen those uppers run on everything from Colts, LMT, YHM, and alot more AR's
    if you are looking for a complete upper I would stay go with any of the big names and you will be just fine
    as for hunting the 6.8, 6.5, 300 blackout will all get it done on deer size game
    when choosing an upper always be sure the barrel is chambered for 5.56
    I have heard that a barrel chambered for .223 will not run 5.56 to good but a 5.56 barrel will run either fine
  • donut77donutdonut77donut Member Posts: 560 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JeffreyD103
    Oakie, $199.00 for a complete lower or a stripped lower? I'm assuming this is a complete. I've never seen a S&W lower for sale by itself so I don't know how to advise. This link might help you get started: Lower Receiver Assembly Guide.

Your best bet is to open up Google, type in "BUILD AR15" and then get ready to read for a few days. It'll be fun.

I just got finished [putting together an Anderson stripped lower, a PSA enhanced lower parts kit and a PSA A3 20" upper on top of that. Good stuff.

+1 PSA is a good value
  • shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by donut77donut
    quote:Originally posted by JeffreyD103

+1 PSA is a good value

+1 PSA and DTI are good values

I've never had a problem selling "franken" rifles for more than I had in them. If you have quality parts, with quality options it will sell. Now these days there is a glut of ARs for sale, but back during the panic I did very well on multi brand AR-15s.

Yes I know gouger...yawn...heaven forbid folks sell items for market value.
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    S&W lowers are contracted to another company.
    I just hammered together 4 lowers using bin run parts and lowers that cost around $50 each. Fit and finish were adequate for utility guns. That's what I want/need and nothing more. The only upscale parts were the ALG triggers.
    That logo on the side means absolutely nothing to me.