In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Fire extinguisher question

asopasop Member Posts: 8,898 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2015 in General Discussion
Is it a local thing that these are suppose to be checked annually and tagged (runs $10 each) or is this rather universal in all jurisdictions? And why if the gage is reading "full charge" do they have to checked? Maybe a big fire protection lobby at the state capitol? Just doesn't make a whole of sense to me? If there is concern that the gage might not be correct why don't they go after the gage manufactures?

Comments

• Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not sure but we do it here too.
  • savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's a state law here statute 633.071 Maybe a big fire protection lobby at the state capitol? yep
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As an X-fire fighter I can tell you It's not a Scam. Depending on the retardent, some will settle and "Cake" over a period of time rendering them to about half of it's usefulness. Recharge every 2 years is good and flip them upside down on occasion and shake them.
  • wheeelmanwheeelman Member Posts: 23 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    ^ yep.

Same monthly maintenance applies to your car fire extinguisher. The bumps, jolts and vibrations in the car will settle the retardant. I flip and shake mine up once a month.
  • mackcranemackcrane Member Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here in WV, in the Coal business, it's Federal and State Mine Inspections, in Heavy Construction, it's OSHA, in Trucking, it's PSC and DOT. Make Em all mad and might as well set yourself on fire cause you can't make enough money to pay all the fines. Good cause we've needed them before in our work to help save Million $+ machines and our not so much $ stuff. So it's a $ deal all way round.
  • montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,892 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by FrancF
    As an X-fire fighter I can tell you It's not a Scam. Depending on the retardent, some will settle and "Cake" over a period of time rendering them to about half of it's usefulness. Recharge every 2 years is good and flip them upside down on occasion and shake them.

Thanks for the tip,,[:)][:)][:)]
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, they have to be inspected annually in all occupancies except 1 & 2 family dwellings. See NFPA 1 Section 13.6, & NFPA 10.

The number & type of fire extinguishers depends upon the occupancy, hazard, & size. And, they periodically require hydrostatic testing.

Theoretically, dry chemical agent can cake, so shaking them when performing the annual inspection is always done. I've set off extinguishers that were not moved for 30-40 years, & they worked fine.

Dry chemical agent is corrosive; everything electronic in the area where you use one has to be discarded ---- fridge, range, microwave, TV, computer, etc are toast.

Neal
  • fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    Lust flip it up side down and feel if the soda falls.If it does,you're GOOD TO GO.
  • notnownotnow Member Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Give'em a few love taps with a rubber mallet when upside down.
  • kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know it was a thing in Florida, Virginia, and Oklahoma. ....not sure about other states but I imagine they may be similar.
  • searcher5searcher5 Member Posts: 13,511
    edited November -1
    Money well spent, having it checked by a professional. Kinda like having green bullets in your gun. These are things you really want to work when you need them.
  • notnownotnow Member Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just thought of this. Your insurance agent would likely know the answers to these ?'s. You made me realize mine haven't been checked in years. The guy who usually did this for me died. There was an auto parts store locally that ran a van around that serviced them right there at your location. Sold new ones too.
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Love the Red comet! Found six of them (still in use) in the attic of an OLD office building.

Re: ABC dry chemical extinguishers- Most are filled with tri-ammonium phosphate, not baking soda. Puts out fire by powder fusing, forming coating that cuts air off. For a cooking (grease) fire, baking soda works better.

Extinguishers need to be serviced (inspected) annually. For dry chems, every 6 years, emptied and refilled, every 12 yrs, emptied, hydro tested, refilled. Usually cheaper to replace than refill.

ABC dry chem will kill a computer, server, etc. They make clean extinguishers to protect that stuff. Pricy, but so is a computer server.

National Fire Protection Assoc. sets standards for extinguishers. Local fire code (nd your insurance company) will want to see service done. Worth the bother- every year we will find a couple (out of 200) that have leaked down, been damaged or missing. Do not want to lose a $500K drill rig for lack of a working $40 extinguisher.