In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Comments

• Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I saw that and it happens often

I have heard many places and government will not accept change in large amounts as payment , just because of the protest some people use it for and the PIA it creates . its money and legal tender .
    even the grocery store I worked at as a kid would refuse someone wanting to pay with a bag full of penny's or change and that was in the early 70's
  • medic07medic07 Member Posts: 5,222 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If they do not want to take pennies (legal tender for all debts public and private) as payment because of the inconvenience, then perhaps the federal government should stop minting them.

I toss all my pennies into a bucket...never use them and then just turn them in every year to the bank for bills.
  • wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Since they make the out of zinc. Who wants them.
    "What is truth?'
  • William81William81 Member Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Back in the mid 90's, We had a gentleman show up at the Circuit Clerk's office with $2500.00 in ones, fives and tens to pay his restitution from a conviction in a felony case for fraud against a Sr. Citizen.

Not his first time through the system on similar charges, he thought he knew his way around the process pretty well. He removed the cash from a plastic zip lock bag and the scent was like walking into a wall. He had soaked the bills in urine and let them dry.

He used the small bills so they would have to be handled and counted which would take a extended period of time. He announced he had "Pissed" on them as that was what he thought of his sentence. ( A agreed plea agreement that placed him on probation with Jail time at the end of the sentence)

The money was refused and he was directed to leave. When security showed up, he was a little less brave than when all he was dealing with was a middle age clerk just doing her job. He wrestled with an officer and ran away. He was later arrested for disorderly conduct and resisting arrest and assault. This was a violation of his probation sentence for the felony case.

As the case was less than 30 days from disposition, he was resentenced to 3 years DOC.
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,137 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's a great way to learn what "contempt of court" means. You won't like the lesson.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • SP45SP45 Member Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Early 80s a guy tried to pay a parking ticket with a jar of pennies filled with dirt and worms. There was an ordnance that said in essence that if over a certain amount the largest denomination of currency had to be used (or something to that effect) so in fact they did not have to accept them as payment.I know a guy who sends his tax check in with the envelope sealed with moist dog feces.
  • Brian98579Brian98579 Member Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by medic07
    If they do not want to take pennies (legal tender for all debts public and private) as payment because of the inconvenience, then perhaps the federal government should stop minting them.

I toss all my pennies into a bucket...never use them and then just turn them in every year to the bank for bills.

"I thought that United States currency was legal tender for all debts. Some businesses or governmental agencies say that they will only accept checks, money orders or credit cards as payment, and others will only accept currency notes in denominations of $20 or smaller. Isn't this illegal?

The pertinent portion of law that applies to your question is the Coinage Act of 1965, specifically Section 31 U.S.C. 5103, entitled "Legal tender," which states: "United States coins and currency (including Federal reserve notes and circulating notes of Federal reserve banks and national banks) are legal tender for all debts, public charges, taxes, and dues."

This statute means that all United States money as identified above are a valid and legal offer of payment for debts when tendered to a creditor. There is, however, no Federal statute mandating that a private business, a person or an organization must accept currency or coins as for payment for goods and/or services. Private businesses are free to develop their own policies on whether or not to accept cash unless there is a State law which says otherwise. For example, a bus line may prohibit payment of fares in pennies or dollar bills. In addition, movie theaters, convenience stores and gas stations may refuse to accept large denomination currency (usually notes above $20) as a matter of policy."

The above is from the US Treasury website, so no, they don't have to accept pennies. In fact, the Group Health healthcare facilities where I obtain medical care do not accept cash at all. Payment must be check or credit card. So far, they seem to be getting away with it.
  • GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,704 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rocky Raab
    That's a great way to learn what "contempt of court" means. You won't like the lesson.

yep, just an idiot. imo
  • Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    There's no law that says you must accept folding money, either. Many businesses won't accept $50 or $100 bills due to counterfeiting.

I once read that coins were meant to pay debts of less than $1.00. Still, it's up to the merchant whether or not they want to accept cash at all. My landlord will only accept checks or money orders.
  • mrs102mrs102 Member Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wonder how smart 22000 penny man would feel when being told he couldn't leave until all the pennies were counted and they lost the count at around 19250 and started over.
  • AzAfshinAzAfshin Member Posts: 2,986 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Private businesses can have their own policies regarding acceptance of currency, but government entities can't refuse legal tender. However, they can require the legal tender to be in an organized manner. For example, if you try to pay a $500 parking ticket in pennies, they can require you to have them wrapped in the standard 50 cent packs. If you do that, then they have to accept it.

Also, lacing the money in any * fluids can get you in big trouble since * fluids are classified as bio-hazards.

I'm not a lawyer, but I did sleep in a Holiday Inn once [:D] These are just tidbits I've heard over the years, don't know how true they are.
  • CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Flying Clay Disk
    I watched this hoochie mamma get locked up for tryin' that once. Tried to pay a $100+ dollar fine with pennies. Clerk refused to take them saying they didn't have facilities to deal with that. She went all Henderson on 'em and got a lump on the head, some shiny new bracelets and a room with no damn view.

Unless that happened prior to the Coinage Act of 1965 said hoochie mama was in the right and the clerk should have accepted her payment....

The pertinent portion of law that applies to your question is the Coinage Act of 1965, specifically Section 31 U.S.C. 5103, entitled "Legal tender," which states: "United States coins and currency (including Federal reserve notes and circulating notes of Federal reserve banks and national banks) are legal tender for all debts, public charges, taxes, and dues."

This statute means that all United States money as identified above are a valid and legal offer of payment for debts when tendered to a creditor. There is, however, no Federal statute mandating that a private business, a person or an organization must accept currency or coins as for payment for goods and/or services. Private businesses are free to develop their own policies on whether or not to accept cash unless there is a State law which says otherwise. For example, a bus line may prohibit payment of fares in pennies or dollar bills. In addition, movie theaters, convenience stores and gas stations may refuse to accept large denomination currency (usually notes above $20) as a matter of policy.
  • FrogdogFrogdog Member Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A real dick move by a guy who probably deserved every penny of that fine. [xx(]

That message at the end of the video telling him he had change to pick up....... Bet that was just a ploy to get him back in and lay a new charge on him. [:D]
  • gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Brian98579
    quote:Originally posted by medic07

"I thought that United States currency was legal tender for all debts. Some businesses or governmental agencies say that they will only accept checks, money orders or credit cards as payment, and others will only accept currency notes in denominations of $20 or smaller. Isn't this illegal?

This statute means that all United States money as identified above are a valid and legal offer of payment for debts when tendered to a creditor. There is, however, no Federal statute mandating that a private business, a person or an organization must accept currency or coins as for payment for goods and/or services. Private businesses are free to develop their own policies on whether or not to accept cash unless there is a State law which says otherwise. For example, a bus line may prohibit payment of fares in pennies or dollar bills. In addition, movie theaters, convenience stores and gas stations may refuse to accept large denomination currency (usually notes above $20) as a matter of policy."

The above is from the US Treasury website, so no, they don't have to accept pennies. In fact, the Group Health healthcare facilities where I obtain medical care do not accept cash at all. Payment must be check or credit card. So far, they seem to be getting away with it.

It used to be that cents & nickels were considered fractional currency & didn't have to be accepted. Now that none of our money has any value they probably can't use that excuse.
  • Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
    edited November -1
    He had in fact broken the law. Total jerk move.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The guy gets a ticket and then throws a childish fit because it costs money? If this is the way he acts after being wrong and having to pay for it I'm sure his ex-wife is glad to be rid of him and taking his $$ every month to boot. What an a-hole.[xx(]
  • cce1302cce1302 Member Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why do we demand that the government do these things to us?