In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Is there a solution to tragic things like this?

bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2016 in General Discussion
What can and should the world do about this? Over throw Assad and the ISIS heathens step in. Support Assad and see more thousands flee? Is there a solution you can think of?

THE STORY:::::::::::::::::::::
A photograph of a drowned migrant baby in the arms of a German rescuer was distributed on Monday by a humanitarian organization aiming to persuade European authorities to ensure safe passage to migrants, after hundreds are feared to have drowned in the Mediterranean last week.

The baby, who appears to be no more than a year old, was pulled from the sea on Friday after the capsizing of a wooden boat. Forty-five bodies arrived in the southern Italian port of Reggio Calabria on Sunday aboard an Italian navy ship, which picked up 135 survivors from the same incident.

German humanitarian organization Sea-Watch, operating a rescue boat in the sea between Libya and Italy, distributed the picture taken by a media production company on board and which showed a rescuer cradling the child like a sleeping baby.

In an email, the rescuer, who gave his name as Martin but did not want his family name :::::::::::::::

MORE:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

THE PIC IN THIS STORY IS HEARTBREAKING:::::::::::

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-europe-migrants-baby-idUSKCN0YL18P

Comments

• shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It wouldn't surprise me if that boat wasn't skuttled on purpose to put pressure on letting more "refuges" into Europe. One of the realities is that this one dead child may have been a suicide bomber 10-15 years from now. Horrific situation yes, do I want them brought here, no.

By now we should have learned that destabilizing Dictator's and Despots in the tribal, Muslim regions only brings more chaos and death, not less.
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    Hard decisions are not something the average citizen likes to make.

Many times what needs to be done isn't if there is an easy way out.

Fleeing the country is easier than fighting and risking change.

Divorce is so easy now that it's not worth it for a couple to sit down and work things out.

Sending a kid to school or the babysitter is easier than being a parent.

I pick and choose who I worry about and Syrian refugees aren't it. Palestinians, North Koreans, Afgans, Africans, First and Second World people I don't worry about either.
    They all do fine without my 19? a day to provide life giving powdered milk.

Bpost, it's a sucker industry and sometimes even I secumb to it. If I could change the world and mankind, I would.
    My latest victory was saving a helpless * and for that I am thankful.
    The Jews have a wonderful saying that I try to live by.
    "If you save one life, you save the world".

This got off subject I know, but sometimes the enormity of a question can be overwhelming.
  • jerrywh818jerrywh818 Member Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The solution to a lot of this is not vote in people like Obama. If he hadn't of pulled out of Iraq the way he did much of this would never have happened, This creep fouled up half the world.
  • fideaufideau Member Posts: 11,893 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We can't make the world right. We can't save people from themselves. They only become dependent, then demand more, then demand "rights".
    They overpopulate and can't feed themselves. They won't defend their own land, even with billions of dollars we throw at the problem. They want what we have without the necessity of working to build it. It's hard to see starving children and not want to help. But where are the parents? If they can't feed their children don't make them. In our own country, we see the same with minorities. Make kids and leave them to live or die, and expect the "guvmint" to take care of them. It seems to be hereditary. It would not take long for this country to look like Bangladesh if the minority here became the majority.
    By "they" I do not mean the entire populace, there are always a few who try to make things better, just not enough. Then there are the ones that become "leaders" so they can steal all the riches we heap upon them while their people starve.
    It's time to look inward again and fix our own problems instead of giving away our wealth and lives to the world that still hates us.
  • bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I guess one answer is to NOT put 45 people into a leaking 20ft boat, we see that a lot in Florida.

I understand how some people can be so desperate as to take huge risk in an escape attempt but these folks take a greater risk of almost certain death when they pile 15 people including babies and their possessions onto a freaking surfboard for a 100 mile trip.

Truth is, you .... we, cannot save the world or we would have already done it. Sadly it is what it is, we may be able at some time in our lives, be able to save one (if we are lucky) but not millions.
    "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"
  • jerrywh818jerrywh818 Member Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    These people need to fight for their own freedom. Many of them are disarmed. We cannot permit our government to disarm us or odds are very good we will end up the same. History is a vision of the future. A vote for Hillary is a large step in the wrong direction.
  • RocklobsterRocklobster Member Posts: 7,060
    edited November -1
    I don't care who rules Syria or Libya or Kuwait, Iran, or Iraq. It's never been any of our business. Those folks were fighting 1,000 years before the US ever existed and as long as there are two Muslims alive, they will be fighting.

Before we went over there and showed them how to find the oil and suck it out of the ground, the US was the largest producer of oil in the world. I say return to that status.

Bring all of our troops home from every one of the craphole countries they're squatting in and deploy them on our borders, with orders to use whatever means necessary to repel invaders, in between handling the logistics of loading up illegals already here and repatriating them.

Instruct all "refugees" to make themselves comfortable somewhere else.

Thank you.
  • Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Flying Clay Disk
    quote:Originally posted by jerrywh818
    The solution to a lot of this is not vote in people like Obama. If he hadn't of pulled out of Iraq the way he did much of this would never have happened, This creep fouled up half the world.

They should have never been there this long. They should have been gone LONG before Obama was even a community organizer. We should have pushed the Iraqi's back into Iraq (from Kuwait) and left. Then when 9/11 happened we should have flattened Kabul with nukes and asked if anyone else wanted any, then called it good.

Not one single ounce of good has come from 15 years in *-krackistan and 13 years in Iraq. Not one ounce! Trillions of American taxpayer dollars wasted for not a damned thing! Not a single boot should have ever touched the ground in *-krackistan or Iraq after 1991.

I absolutely LOATHE Obama, and don't disagree he's F'ed up everything he's touched since 2008; I blame him for 99% of this country's screwed up condition, but *-krackistan and Iraq aren't on his doorstep.

+1
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • mrs102mrs102 Member Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A media crew on board taking up space the rescued could have used. Sick buzzards out for a scoop and a rescue organization looking for a pat on the back and aggrandizement.
  • pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We need more radio time...no pics....I grew up with radio , and was not exposed to any disasters ....this news is very old,and people die every day...what about the child left in a car and smothers to death...the problem is news items for sensationalism...show me more killed and wounded...more limbs lost means more news...folks this is what we have opted for..when the power grid goes out...wait, you will see it in your own home town...that will be the next big explosion!Guns want help, and neither will money...all useless...the planet will turn to animal behavior..The Africans will become cannibals. .Eat their young....
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    go with fideau on this one..he is ABSOLUTELY CORRECT
  • Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,460 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jerrywh818

The actual solution is to not elect people like Bush the younger who would overthrow an evil, yet stabilizing dictator in the first place. The only answer today is to join forces with Assad and Iran and defeat isis militarily. Assad is a thug, but is better than a vacuum and probably better than the mythical 'moderate' Islamists that we are supporting in a foolish effort to overthrow him.

How many more Syrians are dead today because we are supporting an insurrection than would have been killed if Assad had been given a free hand in destroying them?
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Middle Eastern kids die by the hundreds every day. Why should anyone care about this one any more than the others.

If Europe wasn't throwing the doors open, the "migrants" wouldn't be attempting such a dangerous journey.

If we weren't muddling with middle east, maybe they could maintain some stability.
  • chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,718 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Islamic culture does place the same value on human life as Western cultures do.
    From reading these post, few people realize such.

Keep in mind Barrack Obama, the DEMOCRATS, and MRS Bill Clinton want to make them YOUR neighbors. Don't believe anything DEMOCRATs and their allies in media tell you about Islam.
  • 96harley96harley Member Posts: 3,992 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by chiefr
    Islamic culture does place the same value on human life as Western cultures do.
    From reading these post, few people realize such.

Keep in mind Barrack Obama, the DEMOCRATS, and MRS Bill Clinton want to make them YOUR neighbors. Don't believe anything DEMOCRATs and their allies in media tell you about Islam.
    I'd say this sums it up. They are animals who brought this upon themselves. Until they dump their false religion it will continue. Just let it continue there instead of infesting our shores with it.
  • jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,195 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It has went on for thousands of years and will go on for thousands more. There is no solution as those people will never live together. Hopefully they keep it there and it doesn't spread.
  • minitruck83minitruck83 Member Posts: 5,369
    edited November -1
    The gene pool occasionally needs cleansing.
  • guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rack Ops
    Middle Eastern kids die by the hundreds every day. Why should anyone care about this one any more than the others.

If Europe wasn't throwing the doors open, the "migrants" wouldn't be attempting such a dangerous journey.

If we weren't muddling with middle east, maybe they could maintain some stability.

Ding, ding, ding!!!!

You are absolutely correct, Rack.