In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Best way to paint a flag pole?

asopasop Member Posts: 8,898 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2016 in General Discussion
It's 22' high and my longest step ladder is 12' high. Don't really want to scaffold it. Thought about attaching a piece of 1" strap steel at the top of an extension ladder with maybe putting a 2"-3" detent in it to keep the ladder from sliding on the pole?? Any suggestions? Thanks

Comments

• searcher5searcher5 Member Posts: 13,511
    edited November -1
    Long extension on a paint roller.
  • gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Expensive, but worth it.
    Hit your neighborhood Surveying Supply store & get a Mound brand (oval-ish) 25' Level Rod. It's got a threaded hole in the top that you can adapt the handle of a paint roller to.
    They're also handy for running levels in fairly steep terrain.
    Too pricey? Get a 6-piece set of range poles; 4' threaded both ends, add the end of a push broom to screw the roller onto, & you got it.
  • asopasop Member Posts: 8,898 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I should have mentioned this but it REALLY needs to be scraped prior to priming and painting. Really need to get up high on the post!
  • gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Sandblaster On A Stick!
  • RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • bigcitybillbigcitybill Member Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm getting bad vibes about this just reading it.

IF you you get up that high on a ladder
    resting against the pole, you won't be able
    to do much because you'll be so close to the
    pole that you'll be kissing it. Also, if you don't
    keep your weight perfectly centered, the ladder will twist
    and slip sideways off the pole, then asop comes tumbling down.

Steeplejacks used to do this work from a bo'sun's chair,
    but in the age of affordable scissor and snorkel lifts,
    there's no good reason to risk life and limb for a coat of paint.
  • 320090T320090T Member Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get paint roller extensions, I have one that telescopes to 12' so I know they are out there. Find a piece of strong sheet steel and bend it around a piece of pipe the diameter of you flag pole. Figure out a way to screw it on the extension pole, weld it to an old paint roller or something, use your ingenuity. Now you can scrape the pole, use your ladder if necessary. Use a wire brush the same way, if necessary.

Now put a 3" paint roller on the telescoping pole and paint away. Wear glasses and a hat 'cause it's going to splatter.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cut it down leaving a three foot stub and sleeve it after you are done with the sanding and painting. You can use an inner sleeve or an out one. They both work fine as long as you go about a foot past the cut off point. Drill and tap or use weld nuts to hold the pole stady and compensate for it being plumb.
  • JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bill from the big city is a pretty smart boy. I'd take his advice. Bear in mind from twenty-two feet getting killed ain't the worst thing that can happen to you.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,105 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hire a painter and live to see the finished job
    Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.
  • fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    OSPHO then paint.[;)]
  • GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,704 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dump it and get an extension flag pole. I bought one here MADE IN THE USA LIFETIME warranty and never looked back. Bought 24 feet.
  • JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by forgemonkey
    You can do this,,,,,,,,,if you've got big 'fuzzy filberts' ,,,,,,,,,[:D][}:)]
    Just watching the video makes the fuzzy on my filberts stand up and tingle and my filberts shrivel up and dangle. Fear is nature's way of telling me "DON'T CLIMB THAT POLE!" [:D]

On the bright side, when you fall it will be over so quick you probably won't feel the pain.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • 1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    get a skinny kid and strap him to the hoist by his belt, just raise him up and down as needed [:D]
  • evileye fleagalevileye fleagal Member Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    find a long cane pole
  • fideaufideau Member Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lay it down. [^]
  • Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    best idea , I agree [^]

quote:Originally posted by bpost
    Cut it down leaving a three foot stub and sleeve it after you are done with the sanding and painting. You can use an inner sleeve or an out one. They both work fine as long as you go about a foot past the cut off point. Drill and tap or use weld nuts to hold the pole stady and compensate for it being plumb.
  • montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,893 ******
    edited November -1
    Bucket truck. Spray gun.
  • Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    climb it like a coconut picker or hire a coconut picker.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-36372989
  • notnownotnow Member Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yeah, bucket truck. Because even though you'd do the job easiest with it laying in front of you, you'd have to stand it up then lift it straight up to get it into or around the sleeve. If its steel and has some weight that seems kinda iffy.
  • woodshed87woodshed87 Member Posts: 25,785
    edited November -1
    I Saw that[:D]quote:Originally posted by RobOz
    Hire a can
  • woodhogwoodhog Member Posts: 13,115 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    maaaybe hire a bunch of kids with paintball guns...
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you lean a ladder against the side of a 22 ft flagpole, the leverage is going to push the pole sideways- possibly enuff to crimp that hollow (frequently aluminum) tube at the base. And down will come baby, cradle and all.

Folks that climb them using a steeplejack rope rig have their weight durn near vertical, but a ladder leaned against it, force is horizontal.

bad ju-ju.
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gradal with a man lift basket. Rent is cheap.
  • CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rent a manlift.
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,309 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CaptFun
    Rent a manlift.
    Yep, Home Depot has a tow behind one they rent.
  • cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,401 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In a word - Don't. Have someone else do it. Consider how loud a thud from a fall of 22 feet would be. If it's something you might want to do every 3 years or so consider what I have on my TV tower. The base plate has a welded heavy tube welded to it's bottom. The tube is set in concrete and the top of the base has welded bosses for a hinge and a locking pin. Now this is for a triangular tower but an adapter could be made for a simple tube. My tower was a struggle to lower and raise especially at 45 degrees. A flag pole would be easy. Let us know w/pics how it goes except for any tragic falls.
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • notnownotnow Member Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I forgot this before. To actually put the paint on, use a painters mit. It's kinda like those big floppy mits they sell to wash your car. One of those would probably work. They're made for painting stuff like that. I've used one before to paint tubular railings. Put on a rubber glove, put on the mit and dip your hand right onto the paint.
  • 1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i knew a guy that just got 450k in a lawsuit and was to cheap to hire a tree trimming service, thought he could do it himself, now resides on a bed as a quadriplegic
  • wundudneewundudnee Member Posts: 6,099 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost

This is the answer. Cut it, lay it down on sawhorses, prep and paint, sleeve and bolt it inside leaving a foot or two out the bottom and reinstall.

Next time it needs painting just lift out, paint and reinstall.
    standard.jpg
  • pingjockeypingjockey Member Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Top to bottom. Hard to shinny on wet paint.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cherry picker, then you don't have to worry about getting it back upright.
  • JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,385 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It would be easier and cheaper to just put up a couple sections of scaffold.
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i'd use my bucket truck
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    I paint my flagpole with a 24 year old blonde. She gives it two coats. [:p]

You just gotta stand up and salute Old Glory.[;)]
  • Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fideau
    Lay it down. [^]
    +1
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,478 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry can't help you here, mine is 25 feet high and aluminum doesn't need any paint. And if I wanted to I'd just lift it off and lay it on the ground. It would take longer to remove the flag then it would take to remove the pole and lay it on the ground.