In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

AR 15 question

bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2016 in General Discussion
Is the 3 round burst trigger that bushmaster is selling legal? I am interested in one but don't want any issues with it causing an extended stay in the pokey

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    A friend's gun will shoot fine for a while then start to short stroke, not feeding the next round. The same WOLF ammo shoots OK in the M&P he has. What is causing the issue with the other gun? He can swap bolts and it makes no difference in which gun short strokes. The PSA upper will start to malfunction after just a few rounds.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am wanting to buy wife a ar15 and since i dont know much about the different ones I am on here asking for help.It seems she wants one and I dont want to spend a fortune on buying one.It will probably be shot from time to time but i doubt it will ever see a thousand rounds thru it.My question is what brand of Ar should I get her.Are here any ones to stay away from? Does anyone having anything good or bad to say about the dpms panther models? They seem resonably priced.She has joined a womans shooting group called girls and guns and her fellow members have ARs so she wants one too.Guess i am lucking she enjoys guns and shooting.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Is there any benefit in having a lightweight bolt? I see them for sale, and am wondering if it is something I should look at, or if it is just a reason to spend more money?
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try a different brand of ammo. Some guns just don't like a particular type.
  • Options
    RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Has he cleaned the chamber?
  • Options
    BeeramidBeeramid Member, Moderator Posts: 7,264 ******
    edited November -1
    when shooting steel, the chamber can build up carbon, causing cases to stick. I find the lacquered cases run better then the wolf polymer coated cases.
  • Options
    steve45steve45 Member Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Maybe one rifle has a chrome chamber and bore and the other does'nt. Also some Wolf ammo labeled .223 is a lighter charge than specified 5.56 NATO spec ammo.
  • Options
    MercuryMercury Member Posts: 7,809 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wolf ammo SUCKS for AR-15s. Their chambers are just too tight for that crap.

Change ammo to something decent.

Merc
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mercury

Merc

+1

I would not run that crap through any of my ARs.
  • Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shilowar

Merc

+1

+2
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Marc1301

Merc

+1

+2

What is the issue that starts making it short stroke? The chamber or the gas tube???
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Has the chamber been inspected to see if there is build of the lacquer they use to coat their steel cases? Is it going fully into battery?
  • Options
    Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Marc1301

Merc

+1

+2

It should still cycle it though.

Jon
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Has the chamber been inspected to see if there is build of the lacquer they use to coat their steel cases? Is it going fully into battery?

I will check to see, one gun is badly jammed from it and may have blown a case in half sticking another inside of it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost

I will check to see, one gun is badly jammed from it and may have blown a case in half sticking another inside of it.

I have no personal experience with it, however years ago in a patrol rifle class it was strognly recommended not to use Wolf steel case in ARs because the lacquer will melt/crystalize in a hot chamber and build up over time. It is supposedly very difficult to clean it out. Might be something to check into.
  • Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check the gas key, and tube for occlusion from carbon. Also steel cased ammo is often loaded lighter than military 5.56 and sometimes requires a lighter weight buffer and/or buffer spring.

Plus, you need to run them 'wet' if you insist on cheapo steel cased ammo in an AR.

I don't shoot steel cased in anything but an AK so I don't personally have these issues. Just some possibilities I have heard about.
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    WulfmannWulfmann Member Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Many myths on Wolf (Russian steel case)

Yes, lacquer can melt but usually when very hot and you leave a round in the chamber baking. Remember, even lower power 223 is higher pressure than 7.62X39 and Russian 223 ammo is basically 7.62X39 in a different size. AK47s were designed with over sized chambers and for steel cased ammo

Steel cases do not expand and contract like brass therefore do not seal the chamber as it should. AR15s are designed to operate with brass cases. Depending on chamber size many run fine with steel but its not lacquer build up that causes most problems it is carbon because the steel does not expand to seal the chamber like brass.

When carbon builds up stuck cases become more possible.
    This is exaggerated in piston guns because the pressure on the bolt face is greater than a DI therefore more carbon is getting by and fouling the chamber.

The recent trend has been to tighter chambers for better accuracy (Think Wydle).
    Like any ammo in different guns one tries things and if it works in one fine if not don't use that ammo.
    Your gun may simply like brass cased ammo and if you don't give it what it wants, well, like a woman, it will make you wished you had
    3YUCmbB.jpg
    "Fools learn from their own mistakes. I learn from the mistakes of others"
    Otto von Bismarck
  • Options
    steve45steve45 Member Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ive heard something similar. Ive been told that you should shoot brass case ammo first and then the coated steel case ammo. If you shoot the coated steel case ammo first and then the brass case ammo you will get failures because of the expansion of the brass case onto the coated case residue. With all that I shoot only 5.56 nato spec stuff in my AR's quote:Originally posted by shilowar
    quote:Originally posted by bpost

I have no personal experience with it, however years ago in a patrol rifle class it was strognly recommended not to use Wolf steel case in ARs because the lacquer will melt/crystalize in a hot chamber and build up over time. It is supposedly very difficult to clean it out. Might be something to check into.
  • Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Wulfmann
    AK47s were designed with over sized chambers and for steel cased ammoTrue, plus that rifle combines a more conical chamber with a steel case that doesn't anywhere near as much as brass.

A lot less friction going on there.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've only used steel cased ammo in a couple of AR's and shooting slow enough to not get hot. The bigger problem I found was powder fouling which built up faster than I could imagine. Just one 20 round mag left a nasty, cruddy mess. No doubt, it wouldn't take long to gum things up to the point of causing malfunctions.
    I'd vote for a serious cleaning of the gas system and see if that (and some decent ammo) solves/improves the problem.
  • Options
    john wjohn w Member Posts: 4,104
    edited November -1
    Wolf polymer runs great in my psa uppers
  • Options
    jev1969jev1969 Member Posts: 2,691
    edited November -1
    I have had the same problem using Russian ammo with one of my rifles. As mentioned earlier the specs on AR's are too tight. After a few rounds the chamber heats up and the residue in there starts to stick. It requires a good cleaning with a chamber brush. Then stick with a brass cased ammo. My AK eats up the Russian ammo, the AR's don't like it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jev1969
    I have had the same problem using Russian ammo with one of my rifles. As mentioned earlier the specs on AR's are too tight. After a few rounds the chamber heats up and the residue in there starts to stick.It's really not a matter of AR chambers being tight or that AK chambers are intentionally designed loose.

The much more drastically tapered design of the 7.62x39 case compared with the 5.56x45 makes it less susceptible to sticking due a dirty chamber. Look at it this way, if AK chambers were purposely produced with oversize (translation: out of spec) chamber dimensions they would've earned a reputation for splitting brass cased 7.62x39. That's never been an issue.

You often hear that the AK is designed for steel cased ammo, but what exactly is meant by that?

It's a combination of a robust extractor, strong initial extraction impulse, a chromed chamber and - most importantly - a well tapered cartridge case.

Brass has traditionally been the cartridge case material of choice for a reason. On ignition it expands against the chamber walls and forms a seal against gasses, then after pressure drops it's properties cause the case to quickly spring back down in size to allow for ease of initial extraction. Steel cases expand slightly, but not enough to seal against gas pressure and don't spring back down in size. This lack of chamber sealing results in that heavily fouled appearance of fired steel cases - plus increased fouling in the rifle's action. This is where the 'Russian 5.56 ammo shoots dirty' observation comes from. It's not so much the powder blend that causes it to dirty up your AR more, it's the cartridge case material.

A higher pressure round using a steel case needs that more sharply tapered design in order to give reliable extraction once heat/fouling come into play. For this reason, no matter what sort of coating material is used steel case extraction issues will inevitably appear MUCH faster with those only slightly tapered walls of the 5.56.
  • Options
    wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    No problems with wolf here...
    "What is truth?'
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wpageabc
    No problems with wolf here...
    Continue firing steel cased Wolf and USGI brass cased ammo side by side without chamber maintenance and see which causes extraction issues first.

AR quality details vary from manufacturer to manufacturer, but the smoother the chamber the better a 5.56 AR will handle steel cases. The round count may be well within the individual shooter's expectations/requirements, but given enough rounds down the pipe without a chamber cleaning all 5.56 AR's will hit the sticky extraction wall with steel cases long before they would with brass cased ammo.