In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Took a newbie shooting this weekend

William81William81 Member Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2016 in General Discussion
My son and his girlfriend visited us for the Holiday weekend. We were very happy to finally meet her and have her visit our place.

She has never handled a firearm and was interesting in shooting a gun for the first time. Saturday morning we headed out to the back yard for her first lesson. After going over safety instructions and loading and sighting lessons, she shot a S&W 317 and Ruger 10/22.
She was a quick study and was hitting cans in short order.

It was suggested by my son that we head to an indoor range for further shooting. We packed up a S&W Victory, Ruger SR22, Kimber Ultra Carry and S&W Shield. She shot all 4 of them pretty well and especially enjoyed firing the SR22 and Shield.

I think we have another convert !!!!!!

Great time shooting with them and my Bride joined us as well, Fun Times.

Comments

• roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,105 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good story
    Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.
  • montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,893 ******
    edited November -1
    Well done. WTG.,,[^][^][^][8D][8D][8D]
  • grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    When the gun is not to big and they hit what they are aiming at you can hook them in every time.[:D]
  • guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by grumpygy
    When the gun is not to big and they hit what they are aiming at you can hook them in every time.[:D]

Because it is fun!

It is hard to dislike firearms after you've had so much fun with them.
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    WTG.
    Can't think of a much better way to spend the day.
  • William81William81 Member Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by grumpygy

We looked things over in the safe before we headed out to shoot. I tried to find a few that felt comfortable in her small hands. My son handed her a Colt Anaconda and even though she was game, I told her maybe after a few more outings...........[:)]
  • armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,478 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good deal can't wait to go myself once school lets out. Can't get to the shooting range during the week while the grand kids are in school and I don't like going on the weekends. School for them lets out in less then 2 weeks.
  • royc38royc38 Member Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have introduced some nurses here recently to shooting and the two most requested favorites are my 1903 .32 auto and my cz83 .380. They love those guns. Of course they get seriously bummed when I tell them they dont make the old Colt anymore or how much a used one costs, but they never hesitate to pitch in for the ammo.
  • Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
    edited November -1
    Introducing new shooters is tons of fun... one might even say loads of fun.[:D]
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Congratulations on your good judgment in NOT starting her out with large magnum hand cannons.[:D] I see far too many doing that and laughing at the new shooter's discomfort. They just don't realize that in all probability they just created another anti-gunner. I recommend starting them out with a .22 and using reactive targets, like soda cans, up as close as safely possible. Once you get them addicted to bashing cans, you will have them for life. [:D]
  • mmppresmmppres Member Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    thats wonderful news
  • wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Excellent. Bring them into the fold one at a time.[8]
    "What is truth?'
  • retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good for you William. [^]
  • Missouri Mule K30Missouri Mule K30 Member Posts: 2,092 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    WTG One shot at a time, gain confidence, get another person interested and gain experience in the proper handling of firearms.[8D]