In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

People going nuts over killing Gorilla PIC ADDED!

Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,617 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2016 in General Discussion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMpc_jMKusQ

This little video makes me think that killing him was the right choice.

I also think that people giving the mother a hard time is uncalled for. If you are standing at a zoo exhibit and your child is right beside you, takes two steps forward through some shrubs and falls 12' into a gorilla moat....that doesn't mean you "aren't in control" or that you are a bad mother. It means the zoo has a bad design.

So you guys can see EXACTLY how weak and inadequate the enclosure's barrier was....(that first thing is not a fence, but a metal bar that is 3' high.)

Gorilla%20enclosure_zps5ofbnhgt.jpg
LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com

Comments

• RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I disagree with the mother being in control, she should have been watching the child better. A zoo can be a dangerous place.
  • Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,617 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Things need to be "child safe" in certain areas. Nobody expects a kid to be tethered to a parent in places like a zoo...the park....on an ocean pier. These places are actually constructed for public use and have no other purpose than for entertainment. Standing beside your child watching animals does not mean she was not watching the kid....its not like she went and sat down somewhere and let the kid wander off. He just pushed forward a few feet and fell into a 12' moat. That shouldn't ever be that easy.

I read a while back where some grandparents were walking across a bridge with their grandchild.....walking next to him....they didn't know the slats in the wall were far enough apart for him to fit through and he took two steps and fell to his death. Who would be to blame there? I think building a bridge would mean thinking about the pedestrians and children walking across. Should they have noticed it was dangerous......sure....but this was preventable by the people making the bridge to begin with.
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
    edited November -1
    Agree to disagree on both[8D]

I never had any curtain climbers so what the hell do I know[:D]
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That looked like a little bullet in the video to kill a gorilla.
  • asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd have to know how accurate their animation is. If it is accurate, there's no barrier between the walkway and moat besides a line of low bushes.

Construction companies put up fence around excavated pits to keep hapless pedestrians and looky-loos from falling in. Schools have fencing between play yards and city streets to keep kids from running into the street.
    The zoo Should have put a little more thought into providing a more effective barrier than a bleening line of bushes.
    Putting inattentive parents aside. I don't even have kids, but could have warned them that eventually some kid is going to get curious and want to peek behind the bushes.

Is the parent in any way responsible? I can't say. I wasn't there to observe their conduct leading up to the incident.
  • Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,617 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm hearing that they climbed a 4' fence to get a picture.....but that sounds silly.....who climbs a fence with a toddler....I can see stepping over a small something, but NOT climbing over a 4' tall fence.

There are morons out there though....we seem to be surrounded.
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,527 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would've shot the Gorilla too. Especially after it tried to drown it's new play toy.
  • TwoDogsTwoDogs Member Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Animal life /Human life....
    Animal will/should loose every time.
  • LaidbackDanLaidbackDan Member Posts: 13,143 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Damned dirty ape
  • austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,829 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by LaidbackDan
    Damned dirty ape
    I see what you did there. Mr. Heston would be proud
  • eastbankeastbank Member Posts: 4,215
    edited November -1
    a seven foot high mesh fence up where a person, big or small may fall-slip-jump into the animal area would fix most problems like this one. mr myopic.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Locust Fork
    I'm hearing that they climbed a 4' fence to get a picture.....but that sounds silly.....who climbs a fence with a toddler....I can see stepping over a small something, but NOT climbing over a 4' tall fence.

There are morons out there though....we seem to be surrounded.

We put up barriers to keep people out of polar bears and they lifted their children over and held them above the pool. Now there are 3 more feet of thick glass above the barrier.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Zoos are far safer than amusement parks or water parks, and they run drills, are inspected to maintain accreditation, and still it is possible for people to circumvent safety barriers. We attempt to build exhibits where you do not have to look through fence to see the animals and to make the barriers as inconspicuous as possible. Even so, guys jump in to polar bear exhibits to commit suicide. I arrived just as the man who poked the spitting cobra glass with the brass head of his walking stick, was departing and the snake was crawling into the public space. Our gorillas were behind 3" thick laminated glass so you could safely get close.

When I was a kid it was accepted that there were dangers in the world and living carried some small risk. Now we seem to want iron clad bullet proof guarantees there will be no risk to anything in life. Is it any mystery that we live in a welfare society?
  • Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by He Dog
    Zoos are far safer than amusement parks or water parks, and they run drills, are inspected to maintain accreditation, and still it is possible for people to circumvent safety barriers. We attempt to build exhibits where you do not have to look through fence to see the animals and to make the barriers as inconspicuous as possible. Even so, guys jump in to polar bear exhibits to commit suicide. I arrived just as the man who poked the spitting cobra glass with the brass head of his walking stick, was departing and the snake was crawling into the public space. Our gorillas were behind 3" thick laminated glass so you could safely get close.

When I was a kid it was accepted that there were dangers in the world and living carried some small risk. Now we seem to want iron clad bullet proof guarantees there will be no risk to anything in life. Is it any mystery that we live in a welfare society?

Talk about an X-ring.
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Natures way of weeding out the dullards before they grow up and become a burden on society.
  • grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    As a kid I would go out and hunt snakes and Lizards. Can still remember my mom telling me after I got bit by a scorpion, I hope it hurt that way you won't do that again.
  • Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by grumpygy
    As a kid I would go out and hunt snakes and Lizards. Can still remember my mom telling me after I got bit by a scorpion, I hope it hurt that way you won't do that again.

Sometimes nature misses. [:D]
  • 4627046270 Member Posts: 12,627
    edited November -1
    After my daughter was born, I guess she was 7 8 months old, we took her to the Tokyo zoo, this little girl loved the giant panda, and the polar bear, I had her on my shoulders, we were at the polar bear and it w
    Had those lines you weave back and fourth, my little girl was laughing so much, the Japanese were taking more photos of her, than the bear, that was the safest zoo I ever saw. There's not a chance in hell of a kid climbing into a animal exhibit.
  • wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    A shame...
    "What is truth?'
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dennisnielsen
    quote:Originally posted by Flying Clay Disk
    I guess I should have put green italic font and [extreme sarcasm] bars around my post.

Don't worry. I wont sue you for it.

Zing
  • SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sad situation for all involved. If you have kids they will at some point do what you do not want them to do. When they do that the timing has a lot to do with the outcome. This one happened to do it at a gorilla pit. May be an inattentive mother or may be the mother of the year. None of that matters once the kid was in the pit. It's a safe bet the folks at the zoo thought they had to shoot the gorilla, because it's also a safe bet they didn't want to. It is what it is.

As for law suits. Well, both, the parents and the zoo should be be happy the kid's alive, and let it go at that.
  • GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,704 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by austin20
    quote:Originally posted by LaidbackDan
    Damned dirty ape
    I see what you did there. Mr. Heston would be proud

APES it's apes/
  • JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,147 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ticket prices just went sky-high due to expected forthcoming lawsuit and liability insurance premium hike [;)]

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• BeeramidBeeramid Member, Moderator Posts: 7,264 ******
    edited November -1
    We took the twins to the Audubon Zoo in New Orleans a couple weeks ago, one exhibit featured the same type of gorillas. These things are massive, powerful, incredible creatures and no child or man would ever have any chance against one without being armed.

I see people saying "it was treating the child like its own!", except that its a small human, not a small gorilla. Also, what are you gonna do, climb in there and ask it to hand the child over unharmed? This beast could easily tear a grown man to pieces, and likely without much effort.

Thought I snapped a few pics, maybe they're on my wifes phone, but this exhibit was not impenetrable. First you walked up to it, the concrete was probably waste high, next there was a fence with four steel cables, then maybe a few rocks and vegetation, and then a big drop off into the moat/water barrier.

We happened upon a lost child that day, who was walking alone through the crowds. We got her to a zoo worker, who alerted security, they were in the process of working a different lost child incident. Security told us she was the third three year old to get lost that hour.

It happens, little kids get away, and do silly things. They will watch you, and take advantage when you look away if even for a brief second. It's unfortunate the gorilla had to die, but it was 100% the right call.
  • shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I love all of God's creatures. But if I had been in charge of that zoo I would have had that gorilla shot. He was quite likely to injure or kill that kid.
  • 96harley96harley Member Posts: 3,992 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    We kill babies every day and nobody whines but shoot an ape and the daggers come out. SHOOTING THE MONKEY ON STEROIDS WAS THE THING TO DO. GOOD SHOT!
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    killing the gorilla for being a gorilla...???? the parent for failing to be a good parent......
    edited November -1
    They eat those things over there
  • armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,478 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shilowar
    from FB....

13327520_10206461255391647_2822743818208080822_n_zpsqcs8ert6.jpg

[:0][:0][:0][:0] probably true how ever.
  • mjrfd99mjrfd99 Member Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Black Lives Matter

Where's sharptoon?
  • Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
    edited November -1
    Sad that the carelessness of a zoo goer would result in an animal's death like that. I wish they would have tried distraction or another option, but ultimately can't argue with the zoo keepers on how they handled it. Not my monkeys not my circus.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,460 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by He Dog

In today's world we need to design equipment virtually to the point that someone cannot injure themselves even if they try.

It makes troubleshooting and maintenance next to impossible in some cases, and greatly increases the cost, but when companies are forced to hire production workers that have little or no experience around anything that can hurt them, it is almost necessary.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • swearengineswearengine Member Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Fine the mother the cost of getting a replacement gorilla.
    According to the various news reports, the child crossed 2-3 barricades before falling into the moat. That took effort and time.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mr. Perfect
    Sad that the carelessness of a zoo goer would result in an animal's death like that. I wish they would have tried distraction or another option, but ultimately can't argue with the zoo keepers on how they handled it. Not my monkeys not my circus.

They tried distraction, the boy was in the pit 10 minutes before they shot the gorilla. They opened a gate and called the gorillas, the females responded but the male didn't. I don't know all the details but got the impression the distractions were only agitating the gorilla further. The video I've seen was only a short clip of the 10 minutes. Like you said, sad for the critter, but it seems they did what they had to. Glad the boy survived.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by swearengine
    According to the various news reports, the child crossed 2-3 barricades before falling into the moat. That took effort and time.

I wonder if you have considered what the long term effects, of fining parents for none malicious child behavior, would be.
  • yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 20,979 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tiger last month, now a Gorilla. What's next?
  • tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,891 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Change your mind if you find out that the mother lifted the child on top of a 3 foot concrete wall?
    Sounds like that likely happened. Also sounds like gorrilla frequently drag around animals like that before they kill them. To included young gorillas.
    Zoos are going to have to idiot proof things so much it'll be better to watch animal planet
  • swearengineswearengine Member Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by SCOUT5
    quote:Originally posted by swearengine

I wonder if you have considered what the long term effects, of fining parents for none malicious child behavior, would be.

The old adage, kids will be kids, comes to mind. If there were more parents; people who discipline their child; rather than babysitters, you would have less miscreants.

When I was a child, 2 neighbor boys caused damage but they were not being malicious. It cost their parents a combined total of approximately $80,000.00 I guarantee you those adults became parents overnight and those 2 boys grew up to be respected adults.
  • kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It might get their minds off politics for a bit.
    What's next?